XF 2.1 what is "Advertising position keys"?

ShikiSuen

I am translating XF2 and I need to know what does the term "key" mean in the context of "Advertising position keys".

It is the "key" or "ID" you have to enter when creating an advertising position.

There's generally a distinction between "key" and "ID". "Keys" are usually readable strings that identify something whereas "IDs" are generally numeric and auto generated (we may sometimes use this interchangeably though).

It is the "key" or "ID" you have to enter when creating an advertising position.

There's generally a distinction between "key" and "ID". "Keys" are usually readable strings that identify something whereas "IDs" are generally numeric and auto generated (we may sometimes use this interchangeably though).
Thanks for your response.
Umm... the interchangeability is the thing confusing either the translator or the end user, I am afraid.

Oh, it is the capitalized initial letter that misled me. Looks like it is only a part of the sentence.
I still feel curious about the content where the capitalized initial letter happens.

1589811935912.webp

You translate everything for this software including the backend ACP? That's over 10000 clauses..

Even if you're making use of an auto translation machine, it'd still take ages to make changes.

Unless the administrator really got problem with English UI, it's better to keep everything in ACP in English.

You translate everything for this software including the backend ACP? That's over 10000 clauses..

Even if you're making use of an auto translation machine, it'd still take ages to make changes.
I am gonna try my best to finish the Simplified Chinese translation before June 2 (Tokyo time).

OmegaT is a little bit buggy but saves me lots of time in managing my translations.
(I don't trust auto translation engines for all cases of translating across far-Eastern and Western languages.)

10 years ago I was a volunteer in IT-related localizations. I am pretty familiar with doing this.
(Not my major, still. Our school opens June 2, and I'm gonna continue studying film composition since then.)

Last edited:
Unless the administrator really got problem with English UI, it's better to keep everything in ACP in English.

English is the absolute barrier that keeps XenForo, the world's best PHP commercial forum software in these years, from being famous in Japan and China.

I know some Chinese null sites are having volunteers making Chinese language pack for XF & XF2, but I don't like their translation quality. They translate one by one (only through AdminCP language edit) and they know nothing about glossary management (nor how to inherit the lingualogical glossary network from the source language into the target language).

Will you sell your translation work?
I will definitely sell the Japanese one if I have chance to finish it.
The piracy-related law in Japan is strict, and I have faith that Japanese MUI can sell well.

I am still struggling with how to make decisions with my Chinese MUI.
Whether I sell it here or not, it can still be pirated to nulled sites, anyway.

P.S.: What you said is right. I overestimated my speed of translation.
Still, my speed is not really slow. After June 2nd I may only use my weekends time on it to finish the Chinese one.

Been there, done that :oops:
There is no way to separate frontend phrases from backend. It would be very cool if the phrases where tagged with 'frontend, backend or both'.
... but right now it is very hard to determine which phrases are frontend, backend or both.
So I ended up translating everything.

My approach is to machine translate everything first, I prefer to use Google translate API. So after a few clicks, everything, frontend and backend, is translated... in Google way. You finished the translation work 100%.

Next step, manually improve the translation quality by inspecting everything you see on the (frontend) interface. When you feel like to modify some phrases just do the phrase search and change them. It takes time, especially many phrases are hidden, like you won't see them until you take some actions, but I think it's better than having every phrase translated including those in ACP which I think is not necessary.

Yes, they (@Chris D) should definitely separate phrases in frontend and backend interface.

Top Bottom