What Host Should I Use!?

Universe

Hey peeps, as you could probably tell by the title I'm new to XenForo and I'm in need for I host. Due to my lack of experience and ignorance towards this subject, I need something that's pretty easy to use but will also pack a punch. In addition, I need a host that's inexpensive. (Note: Since I'm just starting and will probably just be setting up my site for some time so I don't need anything powerful for the time being.)
Thanks in advance for your input!

Hey peeps, as you could probably tell by the title I'm new to XenForo and I'm in need for I host. Due to my lack of experience and ignorance towards this subject, I need something that's pretty easy to use but will also pack a punch. In addition, I need a host that's inexpensive. (Note: Since I'm just starting and will probably just be setting up my site for some time so I don't need anything powerful for the time being.)
Thanks in advance for your input!

This is my host, that i went with after a horrible experience with ipage.com

https://www.inmotionhosting.com

Its an ultra fast web host that loads my pages in sec. Plus its SSD Hosting for Database Driven Applications.
It has an Cpanel and is the best host i used in years.
Price is good also

One issue you need to address first (and before anyone can give you a valid feedback) is what is your targeted geographic location for your forum (EU, US, Asia, etc).

United States of America :)
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Read through the various posts on there. Me, I wont' used a shared hosting at all since I prefer keeping control of the OS. BTW, typically inexpensive and "packs a punch" won't go hand in hand. ;)
One suggestion.. stay away from any associated with EIG.

0By2ChGJ-vv5reElkbEpvQ0JCQ1k

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Feel free to continue suggesting specific hosts as, I am still in search! :D
We use OVH... Brilliant! I have a dedicated server, 64GB ram, 4c 8t CPU, SSD's and 99.18% server uptime.
Not the cheapest config ours, but they do excellent offers to get going. :)

My opinions Protect Your Online Business and Privacy! VPS with DDoS Protection

Last edited by a moderator:
Any opinions about DreamHost?
I have been running my low traffic forum on their VPS for a while now. It has worked well. Though a while ago there was some issue with their MySQL servers so I had to start a DreamCompute instance to run my own. Since then no problems. I would not recommend their shared hosting account. VPS should work for you if they have fixed the issue with their shared MySQL servers.

I have been running my low traffic forum on their VPS for a while now. It has worked well. Though a while ago there was some issue with their MySQL servers so I had to start a DreamCompute instance to run my own. Since then no problems. I would not recommend their shared hosting account. VPS should work for you if they have fixed the issue with their shared MySQL servers.

Doesn't seem like a good VPS to me if you're having to run off a different SQL server. Being on a VPS you should have access to your own SQL server. That's why I'm loving Centmin Mod it's an all in one package that does nginx, MariaDB, memcache or Redis, among other things and compared to cPanel it's very light weight. Only disadvantage is there is no web based control panel or mail server.

That's the thing about Dreamhost. Their VPS are not like VPS from other hosts. You still host MySQL on their shared MySQL servers. Plus they also recently restricted SUDO access on VPS accounts. I do not have the exact details. But it is fairly restricted these days. The good thing is that your VPS does not have to handle the load of SQL databases. Bad thing is that if their MySQL shared servers are not working well for you, you have no option but to either pay for their MySQL VPS which are offered separately or run your own on their DreamCompute platform.

Simply speaking... Dreamhost VPS is pretty much a glorified Shared Hosting Account with more processing capabilities and restricted terminal access.

I am personally quite happy with Dreamhost VPS managing the web server and DreamCompute managing MySQL. I run daily cron jobs to backup the database to Backblaze B2 on the DreamCompute server. The compressing process would probably crash the VPS server if it was handling MySQL load in addition to zipping process. :)

PS: They recently added support for HTTP/2 on nginx web servers so that's very nice. Waiting for them to turn on HTTP/2 on Apache so that I can benefit from the performance improvements.

Last edited:
I am using Centmin Mod on a Linode VPS and with running SQL, ElasticSearch, and Redis along with nginx as the web server my load isn't that much at all. I also have a backup script setup thanks to @MattW that backs up the entire site to a backup VPS with Backupsy and that happens I believe 3 times a day and keeps I believe 7 days worth of backups. Pretty nice setup and again my loads aren't that high.

Top Bottom