What happens to add-ons after updates?

Whyjay

I'm still very new to this, so please excuse me if it seems obvious to you.

I'm kind of weary of installing an add-on that requires you to go through files and change/add code to them (have only been installing ones that you add with .xml because I feel like you can just click uninstall and it comes off (?)).

What would happen to these add-ons once the XenForo software is updated? Would you have to manually go uninstall everything or re-change the code? That's what I'm afraid of; broken add-ons.

The add-on author will need to confirm whether they need to update their add-on to ensure it works fully with the latest release.

Therefore it's best to wait for them to confirm if an update is required, before upgrading the core software.

You won't need to uninstall and reinstall, it will just be an update.

For any modifications which require manual template edits, if the edited templates are updated with the new release, you will need to revert them and reapply the edits.

For any modifications which require manual template edits, if the edited templates are updated with the new release, you will need to revert them and reapply the edits.

That's the thing I was worried about. :/ Feel like it's such a hassel to keep track of those certain add-ons and what edits you applied to which files.

Any manual edits will require some form of management and documenting.
Otherwise your only choice is to avoid editing any templates at all by only using add-ons which use hooks, etc.

I keep all of my edits and changes in a spreadsheet so I can refer to them easily when upgrading.

Most add-ons shouldn't be a problem when upgrading. With the way XenForo was built, XF can be upgraded and very little, if anything, has to be done to keep add-ons from breaking, especially if they're using template hooks or generate their own pages.

You won't have to uninstall/reinstall add-ons during upgrades in most cases, and if something does break, it's usually very minor. That said, if an add-on requires template changes for whatever reason, similar to custom styles, you will have to make those changes (or get new instruction from the add-on author).

I have a question about this as well.

For the few template edits that I do have to do...I have been saving those edits ( notes on them ) commented in a custom template and just not referencing that template with code anywhere...just using it as a notepad.( Template = XXX_TempEdits )

Is that a horrible thing to do or will it suffice?

It won't really have any effect as it's just an extra template used for storing notes.

Of course, if it contains thousands of lines and you have 10+ styles then it would probably have a small impact on the template rebuilding.

Ahhh right I didn't even think of that.

But for instance I have 3 changes that because of how they work simply have no way to use a template hook and must make the changes. I use about 12 lines to notate everything and can't ever see that amount ever going over or maybe even reaching 100 lines.

Other than the rebuilding there shouldn't be any downside then? If so... Nice!

Ahhh right I didn't even think of that.

But for instance I have 3 changes that because of how they work simply have no way to use a template hook and must make the changes. I use about 12 lines to notate everything and can't ever see that amount ever going over or maybe even reaching 100 lines.

Other than the rebuilding there shouldn't be any downside then? If so... Nice!
Maybe you should build a notepad add-on that doesn't rebuild with templates to save you even utilising the template system ;)

I was thinking of just re-purposing Kier's notepad scratchpad demo for just that...but I haven't figured out how to tie into the admin panel side of things...that's something I need to see done unfortunately. I am sure it is not much different than what I had to learn to make an addon but I still need a place to start if I want it to display in the admin section.

I was thinking of just re-purposing Kier's notepad scratchpad demo for just that...but I haven't figured out how to tie into the admin panel side of things...that's something I need to see done unfortunately. I am sure it is not much different than what I had to learn to make an addon but I still need a place to start if I want it to display in the admin section.
ControllerAdmin and ViewAdmin are basically the only differences IIRC. You'll use admin templates and use the ControllerAdmin and ViewAdmin folders.

Top Bottom