What does xF need to have before you move from your current platform?

Well Anthony, you moving quick took you out of the position I am in, an ongoing dilemma on what to do with 3 vB3 forums, so you did the right thing, I still have to close down or move eventually.

Many times I think running forums is a major waste of time due to the constant attacks from Xrumer spambot operators.

I don't see why anthony parsons situation is any different from yours. There's nothing stopping you from making the switch yet you give the impression that your unable to, make the transition that is.

Just turn it off for now Anthony to protect the integrity of your threads until the new control is available.

Let people double and triple post, then you can merge the posts later if need be.

I don't see why anthony parsons situation is any different from yours. There's nothing stopping you from making the switch yet you give the impression that your unable to, make the transition that is.

Money, technical administrator troubles, looking for new hosts, there are a lot of things that can stop you in your tracks Shelley.

PS: Closing down seems like more of an option by the day and finding something better to do with my time could benefit me in a large way (like building structures on my land) also.

Money, technical administrator troubles, looking for new hosts, there are a lot of things that can stop you in your tracks Shelley.

None that you have given. Why the new hosts? okay maybe the financial side but you haven't really gave substantial reasons into why, maybe being specific will shed some light.

Just turn it off for now Anthony to protect the integrity of your threads until the new control is available.
Yer, that's what I ended up having to do... one member ruined a couple of their threads and I just happened to be online at the time when they where doing it, caught it by pure luck, and quickly stopped it for the entire usergroup, confirmed what they where doing with them, and left it off.

The admin who runs another of my forums just come across the same thing yesterday... had to turn it off for now until implemented.

Note: I also just read above linked, Kier has now added that feature... which just makes this null and void!

The incentive and energy to run forums at a loss is just not there Shelley, at least not for me any longer.
That's fair enough... I have those moments as well. I have to say that my users are pretty good and do donate when possible to help with the running costs, which is great. I agree... it can be quite a burden. Mine is now several thousand per annum, and I started out with basic cheap shared hosting way back in the day.

The incentive and energy to run forums at a loss is just not there Shelley, at least not for me any longer.

I wouldn't allow bad experience from an insignificant company drain my incentive if it's something you enjoy doing. Heck, If they did that I wouldn't have 320 infraction points to my name.

i need to have the insurance , that that darn lawsuit from my current software developer
does not give me any problems in the future.
example after i bought the XF software
i dont want to be stuck with brand new software and a company that
cant or may not continue developing due to that lawsuit
so i take the time,drink a beer (heineken) and wait until everthing is save
believe somewhere in januari ?
and than im released of that bundle of bugs i have now:)

Shelly, the only incentive I have at this time is to expose the Xrumer spambot operators and I do that well, but since that will never end and is just getting worse as time proceeds I figure that there are better things I can do with my life than being SuperSpamFighterMan !!

PS: There ain't no money in it !!!

Anyone can nullify Xrumer or any other forum spam program with a 2 minute configuration change in vB. It's something lacking here, but I imagine it will be possible eventually.

Spearheading an anti-Xrumer campaign is a ridiculous waste of time.

And users are already showing their appreciation via likes as I just announced the timed edit feature has been incorporated and I will upgrade early next year with it. How fast it occurs! :D

Now that the honeymoon phase with the new software has ended, these are the things my board members miss:
  • The editor button for spoiler tags.
  • Being able to us animated gifs for avatars.
  • Spellcheck.
  • The "Yet Another Award System"

I created a new site entirely with xF.

To move my current 50,000 member vB board to another xF license Im going to need

Calendar with Attend/Not Attend
User Photo Galleries
Photo tagging of friends (Im going to get that custom made, doubt xF will have that)

This might be my inexperience with XF, but is there good spam control / registration control yet?

I don't know where to look for this info as I know there isn't any documentation yet.

Putting a "Human Question" in my registration process really helped cut down the spammer registration on VB. Also, I don't know the proceedure for removing spammers.

Is there a sub forum or guide for basic user manual items?

Custom profile fields, which are typically used to control spambots registering, aren't currently implemented.

Dealing with spammers is a 1 click operation:
spam_cleaner.webp

Well 2, if you count clicking on the Spam link as the first step.

Top Bottom