What does XF have that vB3 doesn't?

Razasharp

I'm trying to sell the idea of XF to my users - so far I have mentioned notifications.

Can you think of anything else XF has that vB3 doesn't and might be worth mentioning?

I'm trying to sell the idea of XF to my users - so far I have mentioned notifications.

Can you think of anything else XF has that vB3 doesn't and might be worth mentioning?

Draft saving - the posts as you reply are saved, so you don't loose the content if you by accident close your browser window
Responsive layout - looks beautiful in mobile devices without using a separate style
User Tagging - @Razasharp
Conversations - Keep the flow on your private messages

I think an important feature for a forum owner is support.
I have been away for some time but I think the software makes members more engaged.
That being said, I'm still running vB3 and vB4 sites.

• Full support included (at no extra cost)
  • Continued supported updates
  • Built in responsive design / mobile support (at no extra cost)
  • Fewer resource requirements
  • Faster loading
  • Secure (XenForo has only needed 1 security update in the history of the company, 3yrs)
  • User tagging @Razasharp

- Ongoing development
- Support
- Shelley :D

TBH - I can't even put vb3 in the same bracket as XF, there's just no comparison, and whatever vb3 has that XF doesn't can be done I'm sure either through requesting for x-feature or developing it (if your capable)

- Ongoing development
- Support
- Shelley :D

TBH - I can't even put vb3 in the same bracket as XF, there's just no comparison, and whatever vb3 has that XF doesn't can be done I'm sure either through requesting for x-feature or developing it (if your capable)
I knew I forgot one. :oops:

:love:

vB 3 had its times and those times were great, no doubt about that. But from a today's point of view (and from what I have seen so far) XF is very stable, very fast and obviously, due to its newer code and active support, has a future which vB3 can't have anymore, since it has reached its EOL.

Alerts - I think those of us who are used to XF tend to forget how much pull that little red box has ... ;)

Likes - A great way of quickly and simply communicating to other community members that you like some or all of what they've posted (which, incidentally, creates and Alert). :D

Conversations (Private Messaging) - No more separate In / Out PMs and trying to patch conversations together - your PMs are now grouped and accessible as a complete conversation.

Plus, modern code; easy to use; easy to style; very flexible permission system; great add-ons; great support; great speed; in-line modding tools and posting; and top class developers.

Why not set-up a demo and let some of your key members try it? See it for themselves. (y)

Alerts - I think those of us who are used to XF tend to forget how much pull that little red box has ... ;)

Likes - A great way of quickly and simply communicating to other community members that you like some or all of what they've posted (which, incidentally, creates and Alert). :D

Conversations (Private Messaging) - No more separate In / Out PMs and trying to patch conversations together - your PMs are now grouped and accessible as a complete conversation.

Plus, modern code; easy to use; easy to style; very flexible permission system; great add-ons; great support; great speed; in-line modding tools and posting; and top class developers.

Why not set-up a demo and let some of your key members try it? See it for themselves. (y)
How on earth did I forget likes? :)

To punch the bubble, XenForo is more modern code than VB3, but I took a peek at VB5 and it is more modern than XenForo, it is API oriented allowing multiple consumers, and it allows mashing and distribution of calls. It is definitely more modern. (a dump built with modern architecture is still a dump, though ..)

Best answer in this thread. End users dont care about code or frameworks.

Can't believe it took until post 15 to mention the alerts. IMO this is the biggest thing that XF has over the others, mostly because it actually works (Unlike vB and IPB alerts). I tend to get really frustrated when I visit a non XF as I can't tell if somebody has replied to my posts etc.

Top Bottom