How Does XF Payment Gateway & User Upgrades Work?

Alfuzzy

Hello all. Thinking about adding a Premium Membership upgrade for forum users...and trying to better understand how to go about accepting payments...and how the payment process works.

The "stuff" I think I sort of understand...there's the "Payment Profiles" area in the AdminCP...after entering this area at least one "Payment Profile" must be created (for example let's say a Payment Profile for PayPal is created).

• Now that the PayPal Payment Profile has been created in the Admin CP...how do I link this to let's say a "Premium Membership" button on the home page?
  • What about security. How secure is this process within XF...where a members credit card info is entered before being sent to PayPal? Or does the "Premium Membership" button on the home page go directly to PayPal...and all the financial info security is on Paypal's end? I'm sure members will want to know this.

I also think I understand for a Premium Membership system to work automatically...once this Payment Profile is created...I also need to create a "User Upgrade"...and have the Payment Profile & User Upgrade linked in some way for everything to work automatically & seamlessly (where once a member purchases a Premium Membership...their account is automatically upgraded to the Premium Membership user group).

Can someone or someone's please verify if what was mentioned above is how things work (or not)...and if I'm wrong (or missing some stuff)...please explain.

I'm very new to this...no amount of detail is too much (I want to get this right). If you have to...pretend your explaining things to a 5 year old (including all details)!;)

Thanks

Thanks Brogan...I check out the link & hopefully that will get me going.

Asked above...how do I go about setting up a "Premium Membership" button on the home page...which links to the Xenforo Payment Profile I create for the Premium Membership upgrade?

What I mean is...I can create the button & get it located on the home page...question is...how do I setup the button so it links to the Xenforo Payment Profile/PayPal account for the Premium Membership...and automatically upgrades members to the Premium Membership once they purchase it?

Seems like there are three parts to this transaction...the button which initiates the purchase...the Premium Membership Payment Profile...and the Premium Membership user group a member gets promoted to.

Maybe it makes sense once someone does it the first time. Right now I'm feeling unsure how it works.

Thanks

p.s. I realize this question may fall outside normal XF support. If so...it was part of my original post...hopefully someone can answer/explain. Thanks:)

Hey Brogan...I just came across a really great answer you gave someone else on this very topic only a couple weeks ago.:) If I had found it sooner...I wouldn't have needed to bug you!;)

Top Bottom