What do you want to see in 2.1?

Instead of many smaller features I would like to see:
  • Push notifications
  • A blog
  • Enhanced pages usable for normal members (with rights)

Push notifications is a 100% necessity. We are losing so many potential returning members due to the lack of ability to push out notifications to them.

Even with the omision of iPhone notifications due to lack of compatibility, this would be a requirement IMO.

I would also love to see a more interactive profile, and more ways for members to share content with each other.

mobile client for xf 2 like tapatalk
Ew! No mobile client should ever be like Tapatalk, it's awful, lacks even some of the core basic features, doesn't support add-ons and has security issues! Any mobile client should work properly, support add-ons and be secure. Or better still, enhance the web version for mobile further (which would be a better solution anyway, no app bloat to install on your phone for starters).

mobile client for xf 2 like tapatalk

I would say better and to spread the product is for XF to create a Google and IOS app for Xenforo instead of tapatalk. Their own free mobile app for the software. Have you ever heard of a forum software creating their own mobile app ? I haven't. Usually having a vision will lead to success rather then doing what everyone is already doing.

Ew! No mobile client should ever be like Tapatalk, it's awful, lacks even some of the core basic features, doesn't support add-ons and has security issues! Any mobile client should work properly, support add-ons and be secure. Or better still, enhance the web version for mobile further (which would be a better solution anyway, no app bloat to install on your phone for starters).
@Martok i mentioned tapatalk like example, also @Anime-Fall that what i think!

Difficult to do for a paid platform, especially with products from different resource providers.

While I do agree to an extent it doesn't mean it would be difficult to implement. Also, I'm not suggesting checking every resource site available but checking the xenForo resource area for new versions would be very helpful. I would argue that even though the resource may have been downloaded from an external site it was found right here, and that most devs selling their resources update their listings here. It's where all of the eyeballs are. Even phpbb3 can check if there is a new version available on their site.

While I do agree to an extent it doesn't mean it would be difficult to implement. Also, I'm not suggesting checking every resource site available but checking the xenForo resource area for new versions would be very helpful. I would argue that even though the resource may have been downloaded from an external site it was found right here, and that most devs selling their resources update their listings here. It's where all of the eyeballs are. Even phpbb3 can check if there is a new version available on their site.
My comment had more to do with automatic updates, then with version checking.

Focus on XF own addons like Clubs, Classifieds, etc and a system like IPS has for databases so a site owner can create different sections in their site like having their own multiple addons to cover different components of a site. Forums on their own are almost dead with Facebook taking over providing their own discussion groups, gallery, events etc and all for free in a captive audience with minimum maintenance. Forum sites have to become more powerful and provide an overarching comprehensive solution and repository for everything on a given subject to compete, having just a forum site is so 20th century, it is the 21st century folks and forum software developers need to provide more in their solutions before it's to late to rescue them back from the newer ways that people do things...remove the blinkers and stay ahead of the alternatives

From the IPS System:

Build New Apps

Use our custom database feature to build complete new apps unique to your site. Create categories and custom fields, and design the look of your app with custom templates.

Data from your apps is fully integrated with the community, including activity streams, search engine and notification system.

Also in the ACP:
Move the Log Out to the top right corner
Add Page Navigation in the templates list to the top of the list instead of just having it at the bottom

I mean, why were these changed in the first place??? What added functionality or enhanced use did the above provide?? Was it just change for the sake of change??

There is an official WP repo for free plugins, where developers can upload their plugins.

This repo is searchable from within your sites admin control panel so you don't even need to leave your site to browse any kind of resource manager, you can then one click install and update.

Paid only premium add ons I don't believe are available in the public repo, so they're not indexable and don't show up in the plugin search, however you can buy direct from the developer and install to your site. Once uploaded and installed manually, you can then one click update from your site's ACP from there on out.

An example of which could be WP Rocket, which has no free version.

There's also fremium plugins. So the plugin is listed for free in the official repo, so it shows up in search results. But then you can pay for upgraded features. Usually by visiting the developer's site, purchasing a licence, then pasting an API key into the settings for that plugin in the ACP. Now you get premium features, and it still auto updates/one click updates.

An example of this could be Wordfence of Imagify.

Video upload would be great but I don't have the patience, CPU, storage nor bandwidth to host thousands of videos so youtube/vimeo integration is a must i.e. publish to youtube via api (to your forum channel) and share the vid. All with a couple of clicks ideally.

I'd like to see an improved post ratings system, something akin to reputation from vBulletin, which provides (or forces) the ability to leave comments, be moderated, and incentivizes the best quality posts.

When we moved to Xenforo the quality of our posts dropped dramatically with the like system, even when expanded by the Post Ratings add-on. We went from a board where you put the most effort possible into a post in the hopes people will recognize it and leave a positive reputation comment, to a board where it's simply better to ****-post for likes.

We saw a reversal of this effect when implementing borbole's (I think) reputation add-on, but his add-on was sold to ******* and it became a piece of garbage. This is something that needs to be included in the core and every update I keep hoping to see something similar.

Top Bottom