What do you want to see in 2.1?

RobinHood

XF 2.0 was rolled out on xenforo.com nearly 1 year ago now, with it being released to the public 7 month ago.

Hopefully we'll be looking at a 2.1 release at some point over the summer.

Now that many of you have upgraded, what features, tweaks or improvements do you want to see in 2.1?

In terms of tweaks, I'd like the alert system to be improved/overhauled, with at the very least the clearing of viewed alerts when you visit threads. Maybe the ability to mark notifications as read or unread so you can revisit them them later.

I'd like the lightbox to be improved with pinch to zoom support for mobile. I still find it frustrating only have fixed zoom levels for images.

I'd like some kind of add on management system. Potentially with notifications of updates and one click updating from the forums ACP, similar to Wordpress.

Some kind of live features would be nice, especially for PM's. ie. other user is typing signal, live update they reply without having to refresh the page.
Or the ability to have an auto updating recent activity feed as a widget.

An official API to offer better extendability with other software and so it can be linked with automation tools like Zapier.

The ability to upload, transcode and automatically embed videos uploaded to posts, like with the gallery, but without having to jump through any gallery hoops.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

What do you guys think will be included or do you hope will be addressed?

The ability to upload, transcode and automatically embed videos uploaded to posts, like with the gallery, but without having to jump through any gallery hoops.
This is something that I'd really love to see... cept make it a core Handler so that any content type could implement video uploading (uploading video directly to an Article, Resource, Review, Event, Post, Comment etc...).

Enhanced moderating system. There are many communities out there which rely on stopping bad accounts and users with multiple accounts, yet there is pretty much no help there other than the in-built spam tools and 3rd party addons. Really looking forward to @Xon's Alter Ego detector.
Also, batch & quick moderating tools for approval queue and reports. Pretty much the same as inline moderation. No clue why that was not implemented in the first stance. Like hell you will click through 200+ reports individually and close them individually? That's right now single-handedly the most annoying factor as a moderator, so we really were forced to disable reports for the lower user groups.
And changing user names & avatars is an admin-only function I believe. Should be available to moderators aswell.
The lack of a moderator log is kinda silly. There is one in the admin control panel already, could display that on the frontend aswell for now.

Enhanced page loading. Go to https://xenforo.com/community/whats-new/posts/ and check how many requests are fired and how much wait time is redundant. It takes around 2.1s for me to load this page on average with no browser caching and 1.6s with caching. And that's just for 20 posts, on a PC. Imagine you want to display more than that or you're on mobile.. The wait time between requests (there is like 1 request for every avatar) just gets blown up. This could be handled easily with a global lazy loader.
Plus, if you have 3rd party scripts / templates which include their own CSS / JS, this is another additional request per file. There should be a CSS / JS minifier + compressor, so every additional file gets merged into just one additional file. The dev tools have something like that in-built so you could merge that into the core.
Just to be clear at this point: It's not about the file sizes themselves, it's about the amount of requests.

Enhanced RM. It's an official addon, so it could take some upgrades aswell. There's no integration into the XF2 payment system, you have to play around with subscriptions and user group promotions to limit access. But I guess that won't happen ever because there are too many "shop" type addons out there.
Talking about user group promotions, an hourly cron is not the right approach to promote users who have payed for a service. That was a major issue on XF 1.5 already.

Native mobile push notifications. With PWA this will be really interesting. I know that's on their list aswell, so let's hope that Apple can get their stuff together and enable push service for WebKit / Safari.

Yeah, I know, a some of these things can be done via addons already and some of them are small things. We've built most of them for us but I think they are generally a good to or maybe even a must-have.

Left sidebars that work exactly like the default sidebar, but on the left side. With the ability to have both right side and left side sidebars.

Give me, the user the option to decide where I want the widgets to be, don't force it on me. Yes I am aware sidenav exists, but usually you'd use those in a different way.

There is no addon for it either, but it should be a builtin feature.

Last edited:
- Something new for the page nodes. Like a page builder, I think it is called CRUD system, like example this.
So we could build our own directories. So one could build an image gallery, the other one a shop directory, etc.

- Maybe enhancements to the core features to have better integration with social media? Like when someone uploads a new photo on instagram, or a video on youtube or a new message on facebook, when that account is connected with the forum account, it automatically creates a thread/post in the forum? Nobody likes to upload images, videos to a forum anymore, everything is done in social media. But what if XF could just import all these stuff automatically? Like the RSS FEED importer.

- As Chris has a push notifications addon for XF1, and haven't released one for XF2, I am expecting that feature for XF2. That would be nice I think.

- Maybe another big package like the RM, MG or the ES? A 4th one?

Last edited:
Something I've been wanting for years now: equal rights for new threads. LoL. Seriously, I would just like to be able to filter New Threads from What's New. Not new posts and not new threads and posts - just new threads. We have this partially with the New Threads widget now, but I don't want to be limited to one page of results.

Last edited:
Interesting thought. I just remembered about a load of other what's new / new content feed suggestions that I posted last year in the XF2 demo forum. I think it's all been deleted now though unfortunately.

Content visibility

Whether that’s “trending” algorithms, more widgets, more ways to interact with posts (ratings, etc), social media publishing, etc.

We need stuff that’ll give our best content visibility.

I've been saying this for years to vbulletin but they aren't seeing this vision. I hope Xenforo team cease this vision and don't just relay on just a forum functions. Forum functions are unique and good but it doesn't align with today's trending. I also don't like the current xenforo 2.0 profile look. It needs a better redesign with left column. They turned the profile into a forum posts, it is ugly with no vision to it. Profiles shouldn't look like forum topics in term of its layout.

If you want to create a unique forum catered to your niche, you need to have the members interact with each others through discovery of new content, what your friend shared, what he or she liked, what he or she shared on his or her wall page etc .

We've personally created a unique profile system and now we are about to launch the most amazing feed page

http://www.anime-fall.com/profile/valentina.1/wall

Feed - going public soon and it took few years of work but imagine if a forum software can do this with constant support and improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to censor it because the mods removed the pic sample for nudity. I hope this one is ok. But yes this is a vision for forum developers.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This looks incredible. The right people need to take note of this.

The updated page looks even better. Not live yet

Top Bottom