What do you want to see in 2.1?

I'd like to see a new groups page where users could easily join themselves to usergroups without the need for admin involvement.

Here's one - moderation tools for Conversations - at least the ability for mods to close them.

That way, should a member decide to start a Conversation with all site moderators, one of them can actually close the discussion.

I know I could simply restrict the number of recipients, but we also do normal group work in private which I wouldn't want to restrict.

Last edited:
Another one - I don't believe there's an option to send a Conversation to new members?

If I've over-looked it, it would be welcome to be pointed in the right direction. :)

If not, it would be great to see this - allowing us admins to provide a welcome message, rules, or even items of special interest/offers.

Here's one - moderation tools for Conversations - at least the ability for mods to close them.

That way, should a member decide to start a Conversation with all site moderators, one of them can actually close the discussion.

I know I could simply restrict the number of recipients, but we also do normal group work in private which I wouldn't want to restrict.

Conversations are vastly in need of some extra capabilities. They can’t even be searched as it stands.

To resemble a facebook feed. Facebook compared to forum: Users can absorb more content on facebook by scrolling with 1 thumb. In the news feed shows a title, excerpt, images, and video. The current XF news feed is for people that subscribe to people. I think this should be expanded to a news feed for the forums. Each individual forum node can be thought of as a Facebook group, page, or wall.

Push notifications for mobile: People are looking for quick response. Ask a question and get multiple fast responses.

Hello,

I was inspired by a thread on another forum where there was a question which asked "what would we want to see that will leave us jaw dropped or overwhelmed".

And as I was typing a reply, I thought maybe it is a better idea to post it here in the official forums to get more input from people.

We all liked the new 2.1 additions and the next few months we all will spend time testing those things.
I want to talk about beyond 2.1 and what I would like to see for the future. I am not talking about small feature sets or niche-specific suggestions, but things every forum owner could benefit from.

I have compiled 3 directions, first one the less problematic to implement, the last one the most difficult one to implement.

Something jaw dropping must be beneficial to everyone (in general), not just for some niche.
For example the new additions reactions, bookmark, editor, video upload etc. is for the general audience, which is great.
So I would imagine sth. jaw dropping would be a thing which wasn't done yet by some addons in a satisfying way.

1)

A tight integration with cloud storage sites like Amazon S3 or Backblaze, backups and optimizations for images/videos.

It would be a huge deal for any forum owner as it would save everyone tens or hundreds of dollars immediately, if people could offload their attachments to those sites. This would be a huge plus to choose XF over other forum softwares, as it would save everyone a lot of money.

Of course we said jaw-dropping, so not just attachments but backups too. ALL forum owners have to deal with backups. That is a a huge deal. One click and the forum is backed up every night and shipped to those sites.

And an inbuilt-tool for image and video optimizations. Today everyone has a phone and everyone takes photos and videos. Now being able to upload videos will make a lot of trouble for forum owners, too. Disk space is expensive and having an automated process to minimize those multi-megapixel images or videos would be awesome. Users don't have to be bothered with trimming down the sizes of pictures or videos and forum owners would have an automated process and would know everything is optimized.

There is not one single forum out there which couldn't benefit from all of this.

2)

I won't go into detail but basically a tight integration with social media and 3rd sites.

I am not sure how far 3rd site APIs allow this, but imagine people being able to link their forum accounts with their Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Stackexchange, Github, Instagram etc. accounts. So when I post a message on Facebook, it automatically posts the message in XF. When I ask a question on Reddit, it creates a thread in XF. Or when I open a thread in XF, it automatically uploads it to Facebook groups. When I upload a video on my forum, it uploads it to my Youtube account etc. Of course this will be a hell because of node/user permissions etc. but that is the jaw-dropping part you guys have to figure out.
We need ways of luring users from social media into our forums again. We need fresh content. We need more exposure.

3)

This one is kind of an original idea. This one is huge and has a lot of potentials.

What is great about reddit? Well, for everything there is a subreddit. Everything is in one place. So I don't have to leave that place at all. Every subreddit has the same potential of exposure, which means everyday you can discover a new subreddit. You can get content for different kind of subjects, whatever you are interested in.

Now forums are kind of subreddits. Any forum covers a niche more or less. Some in a big manner (like a general sports forum which covers all sports), some in small manner (like a car forum just for Ferrari model xyz and nothing else). But the problem is, most of those forums have no exposure. If I don't google them specifically or discover them randomly, I would never know of those forums ever. This is a huge problem. Not that I would ever would be interested in that Ferrari model xyz, but what if I'd like that place and would learn new things about automobiles? How to ever encounter such places?

Now my proposition is an official advanced XF link directory which acts loosely similar to Reddit.

Let's say I'm on my home browsing through theadminzone.com. Great, I have read the latest topics and now I want to move on. What if I could open a search bar and type in "car forum"? This search bar is exclusively integrated for any XF forum and it finds quickly car forums sorted by popularity or whatever just based on XF architecture. Now I could switch from one XF forum to another. Different owners, different country, maybe even a different language, but a system like reddit. I can switch between XF forums and can find XF forums by quick searching or advanced search (like with dropdowns, tickboxes, custom fields etc. with language options and category options).

I go one step further.

What is Twitter? It is a place where I can follow people I am interested in. I don't have to leave that place at all and get their feed. Like Facebook, like Youtube, like Reddit. What if we could have a "mainhub" for XF forums? Like latest hot threads across all forums in the official XF directory? Obviously XF would not be responsible for 3rd sites, it is just a directory linking to other places. And those places are responsible.

So smaller forums get a chance of exposure, by having a huge pool of users across all XF forums. Or bigger forums would get more exposure than they have.
We just need a way where everything is linked together, like subreddits. We need to create a pool for users, where they can discover new things. It doesn't need to be as complex as reddit, as reddit's system is based on their domain reddit. Obviously all forums have their own domains and settings. We just need a system where the users can discover new topics and niches easily, like on social media.

Obviously my thoughts are not full-fledged and are not thought-out perfectly. If there would be more interest, I could come up with mock-ups and we could dive into the problems of such things. In general, what we need is more exposure by imitating the big guys.

Thank you.

Hello,

I was inspired by a thread on another forum where there was a question which asked "what would we want to see that will leave us jaw dropped or overwhelmed".

And as I was typing a reply, I thought maybe it is a better idea to post it here in the official forums to get more input from people.

We all liked the new 2.1 additions and the next few months we all will spend time testing those things.
I want to talk about beyond 2.1 and what I would like to see for the future. I am not talking about small feature sets or niche-specific suggestions, but things every forum owner could benefit from.

I have compiled 3 directions, first one the less problematic to implement, the last one the most difficult one to implement.

Something jaw dropping must be beneficial to everyone (in general), not just for some niche.
For example the new additions reactions, bookmark, editor, video upload etc. is for the general audience, which is great.
So I would imagine sth. jaw dropping would be a thing which wasn't done yet by some addons in a satisfying way.

1)

A tight integration with cloud storage sites like Amazon S3 or Backblaze, backups and optimizations for images/videos.

It would be a huge deal for any forum owner as it would save everyone tens or hundreds of dollars immediately, if people could offload their attachments to those sites. This would be a huge plus to choose XF over other forum softwares, as it would save everyone a lot of money.

Of course we said jaw-dropping, so not just attachments but backups too. ALL forum owners have to deal with backups. That is a a huge deal. One click and the forum is backed up every night and shipped to those sites.

And an inbuilt-tool for image and video optimizations. Today everyone has a phone and everyone takes photos and videos. Now being able to upload videos will make a lot of trouble for forum owners, too. Disk space is expensive and having an automated process to minimize those multi-megapixel images or videos would be awesome. Users don't have to be bothered with trimming down the sizes of pictures or videos and forum owners would have an automated process and would know everything is optimized.

There is not one single forum out there which couldn't benefit from all of this.

2)

I won't go into detail but basically a tight integration with social media and 3rd sites.

I am not sure how far 3rd site APIs allow this, but imagine people being able to link their forum accounts with their Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Stackexchange, Github, Instagram etc. accounts. So when I post a message on Facebook, it automatically posts the message in XF. When I ask a question on Reddit, it creates a thread in XF. Or when I open a thread in XF, it automatically uploads it to Facebook groups. When I upload a video on my forum, it uploads it to my Youtube account etc. Of course this will be a hell because of node/user permissions etc. but that is the jaw-dropping part you guys have to figure out.
We need ways of luring users from social media into our forums again. We need fresh content. We need more exposure.

3)

This one is kind of an original idea. This one is huge and has a lot of potentials.

What is great about reddit? Well, for everything there is a subreddit. Everything is in one place. So I don't have to leave that place at all. Every subreddit has the same potential of exposure, which means everyday you can discover a new subreddit. You can get content for different kind of subjects, whatever you are interested in.

Now forums are kind of subreddits. Any forum covers a niche more or less. Some in a big manner (like a general sports forum which covers all sports), some in small manner (like a car forum just for Ferrari model xyz and nothing else). But the problem is, most of those forums have no exposure. If I don't google them specifically or discover them randomly, I would never know of those forums ever. This is a huge problem. Not that I would ever would be interested in that Ferrari model xyz, but what if I'd like that place and would learn new things about automobiles? How to ever encounter such places?

Now my proposition is an official advanced XF link directory which acts loosely similar to Reddit.

Let's say I'm on my home browsing through theadminzone.com. Great, I have read the latest topics and now I want to move on. What if I could open a search bar and type in "car forum"? This search bar is exclusively integrated for any XF forum and it finds quickly car forums sorted by popularity or whatever just based on XF architecture. Now I could switch from one XF forum to another. Different owners, different country, maybe even a different language, but a system like reddit. I can switch between XF forums and can find XF forums by quick searching or advanced search (like with dropdowns, tickboxes, custom fields etc. with language options and category options).

I go one step further.

What is Twitter? It is a place where I can follow people I am interested in. I don't have to leave that place at all and get their feed. Like Facebook, like Youtube, like Reddit. What if we could have a "mainhub" for XF forums? Like latest hot threads across all forums in the official XF directory? Obviously XF would not be responsible for 3rd sites, it is just a directory linking to other places. And those places are responsible.

So smaller forums get a chance of exposure, by having a huge pool of users across all XF forums. Or bigger forums would get more exposure than they have.
We just need a way where everything is linked together, like subreddits. We need to create a pool for users, where they can discover new things. It doesn't need to be as complex as reddit, as reddit's system is based on their domain reddit. Obviously all forums have their own domains and settings. We just need a system where the users can discover new topics and niches easily, like on social media.

Obviously my thoughts are not full-fledged and are not thought-out perfectly. If there would be more interest, I could come up with mock-ups and we could dive into the problems of such things. In general, what we need is more exposure by imitating the big guys.

Thank you.

I think you should break these down into individual suggestions and post them on the suggestion forum, they may or may not get to be popular but only time will tell.

I think you should break these down into individual suggestions and post them on the suggestion forum, they may or may not get to be popular but only time will tell.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I will do it. Originally my intention was a seperate thread to talk in detail about my suggestions, but somehow that thread was moved into here, even though the title expressed it was about beyond 2.1, and yet that thread moved into a thread which talks about 2.1.
So, I don't think that kind of discussion is needed here right now. Having seperate suggestions would take out the "vision" of the ideas, as it is a whole package.

Yes for sure. This would be stellar and really bring it home. No more commie Youscrewed!

You can vote for it here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/search-filter-custom-fields.140432/

This is how custom field filtering are implemented in the new IPS 4.4:

Which is pretty much how it is implemented in @Bob 's addons. (Showcase, etc) IMO it should be the standard in XF.

Top Bottom