What Do You Want Out Of This Product?

Most forums people enjoy relationships but it is secondary to the conversation.

yes, the relationship-portion comes with the User-Profiles, Followers, "Like" and Private-Messaging, etc. anyway. So this is already perfectly build into XF.

For the 2 lines of areas a person could associate with, there would be:
- Categories: the main-categories at the Forums-Homepage (e.g. Interests, Discussion Topics)
- Groups: as to which people associate with (e.g. Geographic Location, Local Group, what else ?)

Just thinking out loud, groups could be tied to options on the profile, with location, hobbies, it all depends on your forum topic.

Just thinking out loud, groups could be tied to options on the profile, with location, hobbies, it all depends on your forum topic.

but how to have a certain Group to create its own content / Forum ?
A Group might want to have their own Forum ?

Agreed, keep it user-friendly - that's the reason it's so much fun. Nobody wants to have to study a manual in order to take part in a forum.

Agreed, keep it user-friendly - that's the reason it's so much fun. Nobody wants to have to study a manual in order to take part in a forum.

Ahh user friendly, one thing so much forgotten in other softwares. Everyone wants to have the latest and greatest javascript tricks they forget the basics.

The nice simple design could very well account for the robust framework of this software. Beauty is the ultimate defense against complexity.

Too many blanket statements. Out here. We don't have all the same needs.

I'd rather they didn't even try to meet everyone's needs, because that's how you end up with products like the skort, the spork, and shampoo-and-conditioner-in-one that leaves your hair sort of clean and sort of conditioned... but not really.

I'd rather they didn't even try to meet everyone's needs, because that's how you end up with products like the skort, the spork, and shampoo-and-conditioner-in-one that leaves your hair sort of clean and sort of conditioned... but not really.

and the iPhone, which sucks as both a phone AND an iPod....

/me hides

I actually agree completely. I want it to be basic forum and the rest done by mods. Even when people I agree with use term any where close to sounding like everyone, all, and so forth make me shudder. Not much includes 100% of everything. The fact that nothing covers 100% I would prefer it to be basic and all the enhancements be in the forum of add ons. I much prefer ala carte.

Even if someone should suggest that it be exactly the way I wanted it and said it was good for everyone I would disagree. This being easy to modify I think is a big plus. I want basic and then only add the bell and whistles I want when they become available in order to get it my way. I am not about to say that is best for every single person out there though.

All suggestions overlay and some match, that's what kier/mike will read out of a thread like this and take under consideration throughout their development process.

what I would truly love is to have a system where when it gets updated my styles don't break. I know this sounds like a really simple thing, but over on VB4 I have dumped my custom style in favor of a generic one because I know that with every update it becomes more of a pain to fix. Simple styles is something I would love. Though I would be happy having this style to be honest, I think it works well!

I think they've said the style system will be pretty simple.

You also have to realize there are dangers in developing everything as paid addons. You have to support all of these different configurations, and the fact that many people may not have a particular addon can prevent you from developing the product further with features that complement/support that addon, etc. I think it would just get really complicated, as opposed to having everything in a single core product. :)

---

I was going to say the exact same thing... about vBulletin.com staff blogs. Also, my site has at least the potential to make good use of integrated Blogs and -as I've said above- if it get's a much better integration then vB 3.8 does, I think there's a good chance it will work.

But everybody's wishes are different. Our platform for example does not need Social Groups at all. I can not see the use of it on our forums. Look at the Groups at vBulletin.com itself for example: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/group.php ... they never really took off, did they?

I mean, it's not like Facebook is it? Facebook works more or less the opposite and it based around 'Groups/Community Pages' and then tries to integrate some extremely simple forum functionality. Which doesn't work. Almost nobody uses the forums on Facebook...

... so I wonder: when looking at packages like vBulletin, who have a very powerful forum system where the whole platform is based on -and thus work more or less the opposite from Facebook-: do social groups actually have any chance to be alive?

I think groups are good when your site is a "place holder" for massive amounts of other areas - like FaceBook. FaceBook is the site, but the groups are the individuals....

I think in general, most everyone's site is already a small select grouping of an interest and thus no need for groups. As in my case...

However....

If the big boys have capitalized on a specific topic (like boating) and then break ito down into groups by state, that might be useful... But you could also do that via the Forum too (raft-up.com for example)

So I dunno....

Same here, i don't think social groups would work well in a forum because the social group is basically the entire forum since most forums are centered around one topic.

Same here, i don't think social groups would work well in a forum because the social group is basically the entire forum since most forums are centered around one topic.

there might be an option to turn "Groups" on and off (if and when those will get implemented...), so your choice to use them or not.

there might be an option to turn "Groups" on and off (if and when those will get implemented...), so your choice to use them or not.
Thank you but my goal isn't for my best interest. I just want to make sure that only the features that will be used by the majority gets adding and not everything with on/off options. I'm just making a conjecture by looking at previous examples to determine the precedent set by other technologies and base my opinions on that.

Top Bottom