What do you use 'Like' for?

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
The Like button is an interesting beast, as the simple action of 'Liking' something can have so many different meanings.

Personally, I use it to mean one or several of the following:
  • I like this post
  • Thanks for saying this
  • I agree with this post
There are probably a few others I use, but I'm interested to see what other interpretations there are among us.

I rarely use 'like' because it detects Dutch browser settings and the Dutch translation is rather moronic. It translates as: I find this humoristic or I feel affection to it. But then badly worded.

Are there any options to stop it being abused like limiting you to only giving one like per member per day?

Should there also be a dislike button? Would add a bit more interest to the trophy system if you could earn 'bad' trophies for having negative likes.

Are there any options to stop it being abused like limiting you to only giving one like per member per day?

Should there also be a dislike button? Would add a bit more interest to the trophy system if you could earn 'bad' trophies for having negative likes.

There won't be a dislike Button, Kier mentioned it a while ago.

I don't see how it could be abusive, though? People like what they like, I don't see why that should be limited.

I rarely use it. A post needs to be outstanding and contribute greatly to a site before I'll consider it.

1) It tends to be over used.
2) It smells too much like a half baked reputation system, which I tend to despise.
3) See #1.
4) See #1.

Well, I would say I use it here a little differently than I would on my forums (where we have comments able to be posted with the Like). I normally would use it when I wanted to say something a bit OT, or not very important, or to say something like "lol" to a post - rather than making a whole new post just to say something small. Here because we don't have that, I do tend to post comments directly to the user more, so I use the Like for when I don't really have anything to say but I want to show that person that they made a good post or had a good idea.

:)

I really only use it when I agree with someones post, and have nothing else to say.

Sometimes I do use it when I have something to say in response to someones post, but thats pretty rare in comparison.

Top Bottom