• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What do you Think!!!

#1
I could really use some help from the online community here... I have a pretty big dilemma... I am in the very beginning of starting an online community forum. The problem is, I really don't want to have to go through the learning curve, and Growing Pains of starting a whole new online community using an older generation of code.. there is a whole a NEW framework being developed version XeForo 2.0. and by the looks of it... It is really gaining traction, and looks like it can be released sooner...rather than later... So dose it make sense to wait for the upcoming new version??? Sincerely Yours, Undecided
 

Ernest L. Defoe

Well-known member
#2
I could really use some help from the online community here... I have a pretty big dilemma... I am in the very beginning of starting an online community forum. The problem is, I really don't want to have to go through the learning curve, and Growing Pains of starting a whole new online community using an older generation of code.. there is a whole a NEW framework being developed version XeForo 2.0. and by the looks of it... It is really gaining traction, and looks like it can be released sooner...rather than later... So dose it make sense to wait for the upcoming new version??? Sincerely Yours, Undecided
XF2 is just in Developer Preview it's not even in Alpha yet let alone Beta or RC. We still have to wait on those stages before there is a Gold (stable) version. That can be close to a year from now just depends on how long each stage lasts. I personally feel we might see a Gold version by the end of the year or early next year. Just because there is a Developer Preview out doesn't mean they are any closer to a Gold release. They are just releasing a copy so developers can learn the new coding so they have a head start on updating their addons since they will have to be a rewright to be compatible with the new version. That's still gonna take time especially for some developers have hundreds of addons. This process is still gonna take months upon months to complete. You will be able to update when XF2 is released so why not just get your community up and running and then when XF2 and needed addons are done then update to it cause if you wait on XF2 to be released you will be waiting awhile. Again this is just my opinion on when XF2 will be released.
 

ozzy47

Well-known member
#3
I would have to agree. Start building by our community now, then when XF2 is fully stable, upgrade to that if necessary.
 

empire

Well-known member
#4
I'd start with 1.5 and a good theme, but would try to avoid add-ons except for the official ones. The more add-ons you have, the longer you may have to wait until you can move to XF2 because you have to wait for the developers to make their add-ons for the new version. Your license for 1.5 will work for XF2 as well, so it wouldn't cost extra to start early, except for the theme.

If you know up front that you'll need a lot of custom features and development, then it's a tougher decision. I personally would not sink a lot of money into 1.5 development at this point.
 

Anthony Parsons

Well-known member
#5
So dose it make sense to wait for the upcoming new version???
There is a very simple solution to your dilemma. Start your community now and leave it default, stock standard. That way you aren't expending $$$ for anything, not even a style. Change the logo, that's it.

When XF2 rolls out stable, upgrade, which means zero issue because you have no add-ons or custom styling, then go for it from that point.