What Do You Have A Degree In?

I do not have a degree, but my family's been pushing me to get one.

Problem is, there's a debt piled on my lap for a mistake I made a few years ago. :(

Dropped out of University in my second year, Business *yawn* Wasn't for me!

Will next year be the owner of a Pasty Chef qualification, which I am absolutely love love loving to bits!

Nothing beats doing what you love!

Hoping to go for CS/Engineering next year, any advice? When I say "advice", I mean anything that doesn't result in me jumping in front of the nearest bus or any other action which would cause my life to end prematurely.
If you are going to get an engineering degree, you will need math and physics, so if you don't like that it might not be for you. My best advice on how to pass is to find a group to study with, that is what pulled me through. We were 3 - 5 guys usually doing projects and problems together, if I had done it by myself I would have had a very hard time.

If you are going to get an engineering degree, you will need math and physics, so if you don't like that it might not be for you. My best advice on how to pass is to find a group to study with, that is what pulled me through. We were 3 - 5 guys usually doing projects and problems together, if I had done it by myself I would have had a very hard time.
I love math and physics. I will most likely go for a dual Computer Science/Computer Engineering degree since they overlap each other in many areas. What do you recommend I do to prepare(assuming you majored in a computer-related engineering degree)? Should I know any specific languages(I plan on learning Ruby and Python before I go)? Should I use a specific OS(I am quite fond of Ubuntu and Mint)? Also, how was the work load? Do you think it wise to minor in something completely unrelated or would that run the risk of stretching myself too thin? I am prepared to pull a Tesla and study from 3AM to 11PM if necessary :).

I love math and physics. I will most likely go for a dual Computer Science/Computer Engineering degree since they overlap each other in many areas. What do you recommend I do to prepare(assuming you majored in a computer-related engineering degree)? Should I know any specific languages(I plan on learning Ruby and Python before I go)? Should I use a specific OS(I am quite fond of Ubuntu and Mint)? Also, how was the work load? Do you think it wise to minor in something completely unrelated or would that run the risk of stretching myself too thin? I am prepared to pull a Tesla and study from 3AM to 11PM if necessary :).
Well, I haven't done any computer studies, I studied engineering (naval architect), and I have probably four semesters total in math and physics, though spread out over the years. As for the computer guys, I remember they didn't have that much math and IIRC limited physics. However, it certainly helps if you are familiar with any programming languages prior to starting, cause the few friends I had that went IT really struggled with those subjects.

However, any engineering degree isn't to be taken lightly, it is allot of work, at least over here. I had my Bachelor degree in 3 years and master degree in 5 years, and the stress levels are peaking around the exam period (I rarely knew the time of day or what day it was in the worst ones). If you are interested and like it and put in some work, you will succeed though. Don't plan to much ahead, if you go in too deep in one end you might end up doing something completely different than what you really want. I know many people who changed focus a year or two in, and wanted to do something a bit different.

Just being silly. Unfortunately though, I have no college degree. It was fully my intention to continue schooling right after highschool, going for a degree in music education or music performance ((I'm a tubist actually)) --- It just so happens that real life kinda took charge and priorities changed. That was back in '93 --- I'm not sure if ever I will go for a college degree now, but the thought is always in the back of my mind...
Do you still play the tuba?

I'm currently majoring in finance, might even go for a double major.

It's certainly not a waste of time or money depending on YOURSELF, I'll leave it at that.

I dont think any education is a waste of time. I would love to learn a new language soon. I was actually leaning towards Japanese or maybe I should polish up my Italian.

Very few people can do and are doing things they love for a living.

The problem is, you love learning a new language but do you think it can pay you back?

To me its not about if it can pay me back, to me knowledge is power. I want to absorb all I can the job I currently work at I have utilized my second language in Greek quite a lot and its to my advantage because I wont lose customers so having the knowledge of multiple languages to me is not a waste of time. I guess I could learn a more predominant language such as Chinese.

Well these days education is more of a investment and thats because education isn't cheap.

First priority should be getting a job and them pursuing your interests as the world revolves around money and you need money to live and for gaining education.

BS: Biology and Chemistry
MS: Biochemistry
Teaching Credential
Ed.D.: Educational Leadership

My only regret is not learning to program. I keep getting distracted. :notworthy:

And are you using that degree as your career?

I ask this because I have a degree in Applied Biology majored in Microbiology and have done nothing with it....somehow I veered so far off course and ended up in retail management o_O

Do I think it was a waste of 4 years? No I believe any education isnt a waste but thats just me how about you?

sorry for i dont use my degree in my career ,but i dont think i waster my time in college ,i learn something else that is very important for my life ,like ideology,and made some friends . :)

Bachelor of Science (Mathematical and Computer Sciences)
Masters of Education (Adult Education)
+ about 75% of a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems Engineering), which I'm unlikely to ever finish

Well these days education is more of a investment and thats because education isn't cheap.

First priority should be getting a job and them pursuing your interests as the world revolves around money and you need money to live and for gaining education.

Oh course it should be and thats why you find many unsatisfied people that go to work and come home and complain. There are very few that do what they would love to do. But alas such is life.

Top Bottom