what are your thought on the crisis in Egypt this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be very careful throwing support behind what looks like a popular uprising. If history has shown us anything, its that there is always someone behind the scenes inciting violence for their own gain, creating new dictatorships. Iran and Cuba are prime examples. In no way were they spontaneous peasant or student uprisings and it was never about freedom.

So similar to the American Revolution then when a group of radicals objected to various British ideas.
wink.png

On the face of it looks like a popular uprising, which the current Government should go someway at least toward recognising, but like Fred have a suspicion about who might be inciting civil disobediance and who might try to grab power.

Who is this "we" you're talking about? I get to vote, period. Whoever's voted in makes the actual decision on who or what to support, where. I never made any decision on any of these things.
Obviously I was using the same we in the same context as John was using here:
OK Ali, how about we start with you folks giving us back the billions we send you each year? No?...didn't think so :rolleyes:

Or isn't that the same support.

I just want to clear something about America's fund to the third world country
do you really know where this money goes. because in a corrupted gov't (like the one we have in Egypt ) the money goes to those who are in power, therefore to Egypt citizen this money doesn't really help them but helps those 0.0001% of Egypt population or maybe less :( very sad story
I agree

Geopolitics isn't so simple, Grant. Do you honestly think that Egypt doesn't have leverage over the US? They've got this prime price of real estate called the Suez Canal that is of vital strategic interest to much of the world. You think they've never laid that marker ont eh table to get money from the US? You seem to think we're engaged in a one-sided transaction. We pay the money so we must call the shots, huh? Its never as easy as s the US self loathing of some would have us believe. Egypt has plenty of skin in the game with which to get money from the US.

Most people don't realize there is an important military presence in Egypt. The numbers aren't large, but the units in the region are important. It would be ashame if they had to leave.

And lets not forget Egypt's recognition of Israel and its role as a diplomatice go-between for other Arab nations. It would be a major blow if Egypt had a change of heart, would it not? Keep that money flowing or else.

Anyone who things the US is the big bad guy throwing money around like a Washington lobbyist, getting favors in return doesn't understand how the game is played and how much leverage Egypt has. They are hardly the poor exploited country with a US puppet government.

Want another example? How about Desert Storm? 10 years ago, we had a clear path into Bagdhad and could have taken Saddam out then. Anyone know why we didn't? I personally was 170 miles outside of Bagdhad and there was nothing Iraq could have done to stop us from ending Saddam's regime. Moreover, we had already promised liberation to Iraq and Kurdish freedom fighters. So why did we go back on our word?

The answer simply is Egyptian armor - US made tanks. Egypt made two things very clear to us. First, they would quit the battlefield if Israel participated in any direct way with the ofensive. They could provide intelligence reports through the Moussad, but their armed forces had to sit on the sidelines even while Scuds rained down on them. Secondly, if the coalition attempted to remove Saddam from power, Egypt and Syrian forces would defend the Iraqi government. Their armor were on our flank.

Still think Egypt was just the poor US puppet? Think again. That pie-in-the-sky anti-America viewpoint doesn't fit with the real-world view of my 10 years in uniform. I trained Egyptian officers, I was stationed in Cairo (twice) and I've fought along side them. Egypt knows how to play the game and they do have positions of strength from which to deal the deck.

No, it goes to the armed forces to equalize our support of Israel, but only a tiny fraction of what we subsidize them with.

Obviously I was using the same we in the same context as John was using.

Then you're both wrong. "We" didn't send any money, the government did, and "we" didn't make a decision on who we're backing in Egypt, the government did. (It may be "our" money, but we had no choice about giving it to the government either, or how it would be spent once they got it.)

Basically, I would like people to stop confusing Americans with their government. We're out here in the cheap seats, don't blame us for everything that's wrong in the world. Complain to Washington, they're the ones you're mad at.

Here's an alternative view:
(1) Wikileaks: Mubarak is quoted in the diplomatic cables that Iran should not have nukes and that the US should prevent a Nuclear Iran by cutting the head off the snake.
(2) A very short time later, Mubarak is the one getting his "head cut off".
The people in the streets want "Freedom, Democracy". They have no desire for a more "Islamic" government.
Whatever happens next might determine what were some of the underlying causes of the unrest.
If there is swing away from a secular government to a more Islamic state ..... you can be Iran is behind alot of it.

[...] you can be Iran is behind alot of it.

This statement is just how people from the Eastern region say, US is behind everything that happens. Sure, I am not saying Iran may not be behind it, just pointing out the mentality. Does anyone else realize we are all basically the same? :)

Iran is not behind any of this
why would you think millions of Egyptian; christens and Muslims are behind Iran
hows that even possible
And Please guys don't use judgment whiteout any evidence (it just sounds so wrong)

30 years ago muslims didn't know the different between Shi'a and Sunni until they invade Iraq ....
bla bla bla we all know the story
the war on iraq had create hatred between the two groups and we all knew that this didn't excite back then. so who should we blame in the end...

i think this subject talks about the reform in Egypt today hows Saudi Arabia and Iran has to do anything with this
the people of Egypt are tired of this gov't
many Egyptian receive their masters or bachelors in school and they end up in a taxicab
when hard working citizen works up to 16 hours a day to just live simple life
when the Unemployment rate is 9.4%
when there is a child labor
when you don't have a right to say you opinion
when you are oppressed
then, a revolution occurred

history taught us that

Geopolitics isn't so simple, Grant.
Never simple Fred, but we "played the game" and supported the repressive regime in Iran (until all was lost anyway). Hows that working out? Now for all our gamesmanship it looks like Egypt could go the same way and we'll be on the wrong side again. Doh!

This all started going South because one member (Ali) voiced his opinion and was (basically) told that he didn't have a right to an opinion until Egypt paid back the billions we've sent. His opinion might be a good indicator of how the people feel. Why should they feel grateful for aid that bought more weapons and lined the pockets of corrupt officials?

30 years ago muslims didn't know the different between Shi'a and Sunni until they invade Iraq ....
bla bla bla we all know the story
the war on iraq had create hatred between the two groups and we all knew that this didn't excite back then. so who should we blame in the end...

Before Saddam ceased power, there was the very same sort of trouble you see in Iraq today. Heck, the country has several factions that constantly were trying to surpress one another. Saddam, in a twisted way, brought some form of stability to that, and so the fighting ceased. With Saddam removed, and with his iron grip on all the factions gone, it's back to business as usual.

Such is the nature of religions. The great majority of them all claim to have the "patent" to the truth, and they will take offence to anyone disagreeing with them. It happens in the Muslim world, it happens in the Jewish world, it happens in the Christian world, and it will continue happening until these various religions start realizing that in essence, they are all worshipping the same thing, just decorated slightly differently, and that no peace-loving god would ever approve of bloodshedding in his/her name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom