what are your thought on the crisis in Egypt this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's just me (and English is not my first language)

But "FREE FROM AMERICA" and "freedom from America" has very different meanings...

Maybe it's just me (and English is not my first language)

But "FREE FROM AMERICA" and "freedom from America" has very different meanings...
It depends on the context of the conversation. In this case, I read it as the same meaning.

Anyway, I can only speak one language and that is English. So, although your English may not be perfect, I give you much credit for being able to speak it.

I think it's a bit more complex as written down in one sentence. It is no secret, that USA is interested in partnership with various countries to ensure some advantages (in many different ways). I really think the OP's purpose was not to create an cyberwar between various countries.

It depends on the context of the conversation. In this case, I read it as the same meaning.

Anyway, I can only speak one language and that is English. So, although your English may not be perfect, I give you much credit for being able to speak it.

I would read "Free from America" as something similar to "America, mind your own business", while "Freedom from america" as freedom delivered by America. I can see your point, though.

I would read "Free from America" as something similar to "America, mind your own business", while "Freedom from america" as freedom delivered by America. I can see your point, though.
My thoughts exactly...even in the context of the full post...

OK Ali, how about we start with you folks giving us back the billions we send you each year? No?...didn't think so :rolleyes:

I'm afraid this thread taking the wrong direction...let's hear Ali what he really meant... :)

You have to be very careful throwing support behind what looks like a popular uprising. If history has shown us anything, its that there is always someone behind the scenes inciting violence for their own gain, creating new dictatorships. Iran and Cuba are prime examples. In no way were they spontaneous peasant or student uprisings and it was never about freedom.

Look at what is happening in the Middle East. Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Yemen...anyone see a common thread? Here's a hint: I've been to all four and it wasn't on vacation. They're US allies in combating global terrorism.

This is a coordinated effort. Iran is behind the scenes, using the Islamic Brotherhood as their proxy and the typical man in the street protester who just wants freedom and democracy will likely never see either. Worst yet, his life is at risk even as he's used as a pawn.

What do Hitler, Stalin, Castro, Mao and Khomeni all have in common? They began their dictatorships by a purge of those who were duped into fighting to help them achieve power.

So be careful. Things aren't always what they seem and western governments have made far too many mistakes in the past supporting uprisings that turned against us in a New York minute.

I think it's funny that everyone is focussing on the president being the big problem, but does anyone know the majority of the people isn't doing much better?

Just look at this poll: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/06/world/la-fg-1206-muslim-poll-20101206

'According to the survey, majorities in Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan and Nigeria would favor changing current laws to allow stoning as a punishment for adultery, hand amputation for theft and death for those who convert from Islam to another religion.'

Also revolution hasn't brought many good things in the last decades, there's a chance new power will be even worse.

The war is between the 'so called religious leaders' in Saudi Arabia and Iran, it always has been, and they (The Saudis) use the US and Israel to do their own dirty work, too bad our leaders (politicians and bankers) kiss ass to oil money and follow their directives.

A wise man once said that 'the love of money is the root of all evil' and it holds true to this day.

Because he expressed his opinion? Must be a lesson in there somewhere.
He is welcome to express his opinion as am I. Mine being you want the US to leave you alone, fine. Give me my money back then...simple as that. Granted it is a simplistic and unrealistic viewpoint because he has as much power to make his government give the money back as I do stopping my government from taking my money and giving it away against my wishes. The point is people need to stop and think before engaging their mouths. The US may do lot's of harm the world over but we also do great good and give a lot of our wealth away (when there are many of us that don't have it to give).

Because he expressed his opinion? Must be a lesson in there somewhere.

He said he wanted to be free from America. All John did was suggest the first concrete step he could take. Are you suggesting that America continue to send billions of dollars in financial support to nations that want to be free from our support? Or are you suggesting instead that they wish the "teenager relationship" - they want to be free from our input, but feel we still owe them financial support?

Please, I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom