What are your essential Add-Ons?

The Grand Potentate

I didn't see much in the way of a main topic on this through search, just a few scattered opinions and a poll featuring the RM, so I figured I'd start a thread. As someone who's just starting out, the amount of selections in the RM are a bit overwhelming. A list of the top user favorites would be a huge resource to let people cycle through. Screenshots would be a boon as well. Have at it...

You have both highest rated and most downloaded, I guess that could be estimates for the top favorites you want...??

Well, there can only be one answer to a busy forum - and that is those which have to do with trapping spammers! There are a number of them which are good, so take your pick or use more than one!

In terms of function, I wait until I actually have a need and then find the add-on which does the job.
Some are little extras...

Go to Top
Find unanswered threads
Nodes as Tabs
Bump Thread
Require Thread Prefixes
Forum Watch
Rotating ads.....

I like them all.

Reactions: DFI
Find unanswered thread? I can't find this addon. Can you pls share the link. It seems to be useful.

You have both highest rated and most downloaded, I guess that could be estimates for the top favorites you want...??

True, but many of the add-ons that I've seen people list as their favorites are on the 5-10th pages, and beyond. Its not exactly the most efficient way to hunt. Plus, certain people have specific forums that they use specific add-ons for, and others might find that info useful.

Ratings and downloads don't mean much - obviously many free add-ons get more downloads and some may have hit the market in a "dry" time....when anyone would download anything to try it out!

It is more important to measure what you need and what your users may take to - which is why anti-spam always come first and then those which help usability.

I find the most downloaded or high ratings irrelevant as what suits others can have very little to do with the board I'm working on today.
But in general I find these useful on almost all boards:

Nodes As Tabs - has to be the top of the tops!
Conversation Essentials - adds the stuff ought to be there anyway (also free version)
Stay Logged In
Login As User
ToggleMe - collapses/ expands categories on the forumlist.

I try not to use mods written by other people... so if I need a function,I write it myself... most of the time I release it here for free.

Top Bottom