What addons do you think that xenforo.com *should* install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Doctor

I'd like Bookmarks (it would improve things because I could find important threads)
and probably others.

The goal of the addon would be to improve the usability of Xenforo.com
How does it help Xenforo Members ?

I agree XF here should be core only as a demobut I took the Op to mean what functions should be added to the core when XF development gets going again next year.

Bookmarks is great although not so vital on tiny sites like mine. But something like it would be fantastic on a bigger site like XF. Yet shame to overlay a good addon with additional core functionality. Here's a compromise.

I'd like XF to have a What's New (Hide) function added to core. Not so much bookmarks as a function to Hide threads not of primary interest to me. I get tired of plodding through Whats New having to mentally check and pass over the same threads again and again and again - which are all irrelevant to me.
For example I don't use package designs; I don't use certain function addons and never will. Some offtopics are not my cup of tea.

If I could click a thread and it Hides (but I could also check my Hidden Threads if I wanted) that' would make XF so much quicker and more comfy to use. Many times I visit only to find stuff I have to plod through but there's then only one or two items of interest to me over several pages of familiar stuff. This actually discourages me from coming back which I think is important to note.
I cant just rely on following threads because I want to check for new things.

A Hidden thread would still open normally if I clicked it in my Hidden list, and if it was cited in someone's post it would show up normally. Just Hide from What's New on a tickbox.

My suggestion to Kier when the spam stuff started was to accelerate the development of the SFS features they had planned and implement them here as a sort of beta test or another interim release e.g. 1.1.4 before the release of 1.2.

With that in mind, XF.com should not install any add-ons at all and should focus on first party coded additions which will ultimately become core features.

I agree XF here should be core only as a demobut I took the Op to mean what functions should be added to the core when XF development gets going again next year.
Hmm, not sure you took it right. I'm pretty sure DD is talking about XenForo installing add-ons here at XenForo.com:

The goal of the addon would be to improve the usability of Xenforo.com

As XenForo currently is a very incomplete forum software it would be necessary to add several features ASAP.

Unfortunately all development has been stopped and we all have to wait what will happen in the future and if there ever will be a 1.2 version with missing additional features.

Installing any third party addons at an official demo site is not a way to go IMHO.

Problem is of course, it would give perspective buyers a false impression.

How do you convey to them that these features they're enjoying on an official forum for a product aren't in the official product?

Do you have disclaimers all over the Bookmarks pages?

I know the Demo is there to demonstrate the features, but actually most people's first experiences of actually using the software in a live environment would be here. You cannot effectively test the end-user experience in the admin demo. It needs a live board with live people quoting your posts, replying to your questions, sending you PMs etc.

In that sense, xenforo.com IS the demo. And that's why it can never have any third part code included in it. It would just result in a user experience that isn't consistent with reality.

Hmm, not sure you took it right. I'm pretty sure DD is talking about XenForo installing add-ons here at XenForo.com:

Chris you're right I misunderstood because there's no way Xf would install addons here. Neither XF nor other good softwares do that for exactly the reasons you give.

That's why I suggested my Hide Threads function as a core addition. When development starts up again in the new year I know the Resource Manager and mobile design are high priority. But this little thiung would be a small matter to add and make visitor experience better out of all proportion to the effort involved. A good decision therefore.

A caveat though. It's all too easy to "call for core."
I've seen this about all kinds of things from portals, to wikis, to galleries and other media handlers. Vital though an addon may be to a great many sites what is added to CORE XF has to be assessed as essential to 90% or more of XF users.

I'd see the Conversation essentials addon as vital for example. But all that needs to be added to core is a) display recipient/s, and b) search PCs. The rest is for the admin to decide` whether to add Syndol's wonderfil features.
Even Jake's Nodes as Tabs which is so fundamental to so many, is not essential to all.

That's why I suggested my Hide Threads function as a core addition. When development starts up again in the new year I know the Resource Manager and mobile design are high priority. But this little thiung would be a small matter to add and make visitor experience better out of all proportion to the effort involved. A good decision therefore.

I would retain from suggesting new features for XenForo in a situation where NOBODY even knows IF a new version will ever be developed or released.

There is still a very high chance that the 1.1 versions of XenForo will be the last ones.

All we can hope is that either that or the opposite will be at least told to us ASAP. But unfortunately the owners of XenForo have no hurry in doing that or even telling us the truth about the current situation or even at least give us the long promised "answers".

Changing the subject...

I would actually like to see a demo service where people can try out our add-ons. When there's this perception that XenForo doesn't have enough features, it's important that people can try out these features by way of add-ons. But, of course, this would have to be a third party service.

I deleted my posts. My suggestion is you do the same. This thread isn't about this. And it will just derail what was a reasonable discussion.

Yes, you're right. Sorry.

I still stand by that you cannot say something is "highly likely" when you have no idea what you're talking about. Just like I can't say it's "highly unlikely" because ultimately none of us know.

No, you're not right.
The outcome is unknown and wonders happen sometimes. But the chances for that wonder can be easily seen by anyone who cares enough to make his own opinion.

I would retain from suggesting new features for XenForo ...

It's always a judgement call whether to just not answer troll posts. But ignoring the first attempt up above didn't seem to get the point across.
I suppose I could Report it and ask to have this stuff deleted. But I'll try courtesy and reason first.

HWS you're fully entitled to your opinion. BUT -

- you and others like you have stated this view in many places already.
It achieves nothing at all to repeat and repeat. Just makes you look silly and boring.

- the issues you refer to are not the subject of this thread. It is discourteous to the OP to hijack the thread for your own agenda (trolling).
This thread is about addons being integrated to XF and whether that is workable. If not, what else instead?

- it has been made very clear that there is not going to be any more information on the issues you raised except definite stuff on the court case.
Complaining, pleading, threatening, or trolling - none of it will change what we have.
Accept it and get on with it or go away. At least have the courtesy to stop harassing others who want to have a discussion.

- We're not stupid. We have all made our own decision about XF.Admins are generally pretty savvy people.
So don't insult us by treating us as if we were stupid. It only reflects badly on you if you can't respect fellow admins, or at least have the good manners to speak as if you do.

I'm sure you can find others who share your views and run a private conversation to\make yourself feel better. Or talk to your family, or business associates.

Kindly just leave US in peace to have a discussion WE want to have.

Changing the subject...

I would actually like to see a demo service where people can try out our add-ons. When there's this perception that XenForo doesn't have enough features, it's important that people can try out these features by way of add-ons. But, of course, this would have to be a third party service.

Chris that would be an amazing project. I can see problems though.
When I have tried out demos there are always issues on people messing them up with spam. So demos are high maintenance.
This gets even more hairy if the demo is there to demo a few 100 different addons! All the addon devs would have to help with support - urrgh nightmare!

I could see a possibility for addon devs getting a cut price demo site licence where they can demo all their stuff. The XF would be limited to a max of 20 members.
These installs links could be added to the RM.
The limited number of members on them would have passwords given out but all user content is cleared every few hours.
If you wanted to keep a record of trying out something you could always use screenshots.
Bit of a rough idea ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom