What about blogs?

mihai11

Hello,

I currently own a few VB licenses but I may consider using XenForo. The thing is that I need the Blog functionality that VB has.

It looks like you don't have this at present. Will you implement such a feature soon?

For me, the blogs are an absolute must. It doesn't matter how good XenForo gets in time. If it doesn't have blogs that I will not able to use it.

Regards,
Razvan

Images in the add-on forum can only be fully seen by active customers. I'm not a big fan of not being able to see the images when you're not a customer... it made me actually wait a few days more on my decision to purchase xF.

Images in the add-on forum can only be fully seen by active customers. I'm not a big fan of not being able to see the images when you're not a customer... it made me actually wait a few days more on my decision to purchase xF.

So, it is a feature not a bug.

I need to decide about that Blog functionality but I cannot see the images. Am I expected to pay to see the images??!?!

I agree with you. IT IS a bad choice. I hope that people will remove it ASAP. This is NOT how you make a sale.

There is no distinction between attachment types.
The restriction is there so only licensed customers can download add-ons.

If you read through the thread there are some links to live sites using the blog, which you can check there.

There is no distinction between attachment types.
The restriction is there so only licensed customers can download add-ons.

If you read through the thread there are some links to live sites using the blog, which you can check there.

You may create a special forum for that and apply this restriction to that forum only. That is what I would suggest. You have here a technical restriction that impedes the regular use of the forum; please correct me if I am wrong.

About blogs: the guy that made the blog is asking for donations. I fully understand the guy - he did work to get that done. But for how long will he support this?

Most people would not use such a big & critical module with support living off donations. Please consider building a BLOG for XEN FORO as well. From what I heard, the architecture is quite flexible.

The restriction is applied to all customer forums.
As I have explained, the attachment permission is binary - yes or no for all attachments.
It's not possible to have a post with add-on code (xml) and images attached and allow one but not the other.

I have no information on whether a blog will or won't be developed by the core team in the future.

You may create a special forum for that and apply this restriction to that forum only. That is what I would suggest. You have here a technical restriction that impedes the regular use of the forum; please correct me if I am wrong.

About blogs: the guy that made the blog is asking for donations. I fully understand the guy - he did work to get that done. But for how long will he support this?

Most people would not use such a big & critical module with support living off donations. Please consider building a BLOG for XEN FORO as well. From what I heard, the architecture is quite flexible.
Onimua made the blog addon for his -own- site, so he'll most likely support the addon indefinitely, unless something arises that might impede that.

His site(s) are about something he enjoys, and something he intends to put much time into, so it is likely that he'll be supporting it for a long time.

Also, he mentions he'd like donations, but he doesn't demand for them, or expect them. He supplies the blog add-on without any copyright for his own site, and provides the same support to whoever asks.

I can honestly say he's one of the add-on developers I respect most.

My intention is to provide support and develop it for as long as humanly possible. The blog add-on is something I've developed for my own site, though I do not use it yet (some other things have to be done first in regards to my site alone), but as this is one of the most-wanted features, I decided to tackle this first and release it publicly. I don't hold donations as a requirement from one version to the next, though they are helpful when it comes to helping me with other costs, like servers, domain renewals or even some food. So if you don't feel like donating, you need not feel pressured to do so. :)

I should also note that when and if XenForo decides to build their own blog (I hope it isn't that soon :p), I'd also provide an importer for it, so there should be no worry about losing that content.

And yes, the architecture in XenForo is very nice, hence why many of us are able to fill the gaps others feel are missing and do it quickly.

Top Bottom