XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

I work in IT so using beta code in a live environment is anathema to me. However, my dev is now up and ready for testing so ... anytime is good with me. ;)
I work in IT, using beta code in a live environment is a fact of life. The difference between a version stamp of "1.0.0" and "1.0.0 beta' is basically non-existent.

The version string sadly has very little to say on how production ready code actually is.

Somebody please correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly but in the past weren't the beta versions unable to be upgraded to the release version? If so, somebody running a beta on a prod site would be ill advised.

(Or am I thinking one of the 'preview' releases at some point? 🤔)

You are thinking of the XF 2.0 developer previews which were essentially alpha releases.

The XF 2.0 betas and all previous version betas have been fully upgradeable to each other and to the stable release as normal.

In fact, for XF 2.1, the public betas will even support one-click upgrades (hopefully 🙂)

You are thinking of the XF 2.0 developer previews which were essentially alpha releases.

The XF 2.0 betas and all previous version betas have been fully upgradeable to each other and to the stable release as normal.

In fact, for XF 2.1, the public betas will even support one-click upgrades (hopefully 🙂)
Thanks for jogging my memory 👍; I usually play with test the releases as soon as they're available but have never done so on a prod instance.

I work in IT, using beta code in a live environment is a fact of life. The difference between a version stamp of "1.0.0" and "1.0.0 beta' is basically non-existent.

The version string sadly has very little to say on how production ready code actually is.

.0 releases are generally glorified betas. They shouldn't be, but reality is that they are. I rarely put .0 releases into production. Goes back to the old saw about waiting for the first SP.:rolleyes:

Better support for iPhone X/Xr/Xs display

If you happen to have a Google Pixel 3 running Android P it would be great if you can let us know whether it looks similar to the XF 2.0 screenshot above or more like the XF 2.1 screenshot :)

I have a notched display on an Android device, 8.1.0 - it does not look this way. Is it possible?

Features such as classifieds, cms, blog, can be as official. Is there a study on this?
thus, it will cease to be just a community software.

Small thought on rounded vs unrounded avatars: I've come to a conclusion that in forum space they should remain square and here's why:
  1. An avatar is a symbol of someone's identy online. Users want to maximize that space with their persona, different avatar types, animated gifs, funny pictures, etc, and making them a circle I think cuts off (r^2)(4 - π)from the area. With an avatar that is normally 96x96 thats 9216 pixels as a square and 7239 as a circle, that means we're losing around 22%. This my friends is precious space.
  2. MacRumors had many discussions on the subject and ultimately voted slightly in favor of square. Rivals.com also had a huge debate on it but I cannot find the thread, only a browser extension to remove it. But many sites debate this whenever migrating from square to circle.
  3. Ultimately, I find that profile photos make sense as a circle. They are your face. But as we all know, users don't use their face for avatars on average, they use something entirely different. Which makes the medium of a square more practical.
Ultimately, its a small issue, but one that I think should be default remain square. I've started making forum avatars square again after a 'super ultra modern' (;)) era of making them rounded. Could be personal preference, but I think ultimately that users will be happier with square avatars on the majority of forums.

An avatar is a symbol of someone's identy online. Users want to maximize that space with their persona, different avatar types, animated gifs, funny pictures, etc, and making them a circle I think cuts off (r^2)(4 - π)from the area. With an avatar that is normally 96x96 thats 9216 pixels as a square and 7239 as a circle, that means we're losing around 22%. This my friends is precious space.
https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath 😝

Fillip

Top Bottom