XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

Regarding bookmarks....

It seems redundant that pressing bookmark saves the bookmark but then an additional (optional) pop up comes up that needs to be saved again.

It seems redundant that pressing bookmark saves the bookmark but then an additional (optional) pop up comes up that needs to be saved again.
It doesn't need to be saved again. It pops up in case you want to add a note or label. If you don't need to add a note or label you can just click off the pop up.

It doesn't need to be saved again. It pops up in case you want to add a note or label. If you don't need to add a note or label you can just click off the pop up.

I guess my point is that maybe instead of saving the bookmark on click, it should trigger an already populated popup with an additional notes field that could then be saved.

I realize you can click out of it, but I am wondering how many times users are going to click "delete" thinking they are getting rid of the popup but are instead deleting their bookmark.

Anywho, as always, fantastic work.

XenForo, where your money is worth it. I don't remember any other product or service that i have reasons to keep paying the license renovation. And it's my first year with XF and I'm happy to keep supporting. Seem's everything here evolve very well and constantly, so, keep the good work guys.

I work with Forums about 20 years and i never seem in my entire life anything like this kind of updates, right with the community feedback. Congratulations!

This Forum is running on 2.1 now? There is gonna be a public beta?

When the final version is released, can i upgrade normally? I'm asking because i have a 3 Styles on my board, so, i have to wait for the devs release the new and compatible version?

And the add-ons situation? They will be compatible with the new version? I have some for my XF 2.0.

Yes, there will be a public beta.

Styles will definitely need upgrading.

Add-ons possibly - you will need to check with the authors.

Well, I'm going to post on every discussion page of the addons to remember the devs. Most of then are just for customization, but definitely important for esthetics.

Same for Styles too, but most of the devs said that they will update their products.

I'm on php 7.0 now. Is worth to upgrade to 7.2 on my host?

However, PHP actually has implemented (technically) two new password hashing algorithms based around Argon2. This was first introduced in PHP 7.2 using a variant known as Argon2i and it is further improved in PHP 7.3 using a variant known as Argon2id.

By default, XF will always aim to use the default or most widely supported password hashing algorithm available, so in this case that is still Bcrypt. But should you have an appropriate PHP version and the required prerequisites installed (PHP has to be compiled explicitly with Argon2 support) then we should allow you to use that, so in XF 2.1, now you can. And it's as simple as a couple of additional lines in src/config.php.

very nice... Centmin Mod LEMP stack's PHP 7.2 and 7.3 is ready for Argon2i - bring it on :)

PHP-FPM 7.2
PHP:
php -r 'print_r(get_defined_constants());' | grep -i argon
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2I] => 2
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_MEMORY_COST] => 1024
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_TIME_COST] => 2
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_THREADS] => 2
    [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_ALG_ARGON2I13] => 1
    [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_ALG_ARGON2ID13] => 2
    [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_STRPREFIX] => $argon2id$

PHP-FPM 7.3
PHP:
php -r 'print_r(get_defined_constants());' | grep -i argon
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2I] => 2
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2ID] => 3
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_MEMORY_COST] => 1024
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_TIME_COST] => 2
    [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_THREADS] => 2
    [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_ALG_ARGON2I13] => 1
    [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_ALG_ARGON2ID13] => 2
    [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_STRPREFIX] => $argon2id$

Xenforo 2.1 would probably be the first script to actually make use of Argon2 for me !

Top Bottom