Weird Logon Issues with IE

ddmmh

I just did a fresh install of beta 4. Installed Jaxels portal and medio addon.

http://www.mmazone.com.au

I had my admin account - Seb

I setup the facebook features through the admin panel and edited some normal setup options... nothing out of the ordinary.

Created a new account on my forum using my FB to test it out - Sebastian Bernal

Now I have some weird issues.

I dont get these issues in FF but I do in IE8

I login with my admin acount Seb and about 1 second later the page refreshes and I am logged out again... does this continiously.

Ive noticed when I log in with my FB account and log out the main forum page will just refresh automatically every 2 seconds or so...

This is incredibly weird and annoying as I prefer to use IE.

I have no idea what is causing this, can anybody help? thanks

***update***

Well just incase things werent weird enough... now when Im logged in with my FB account and click 'log out' it does log me out... then decides to refresh and log back into my FB accout automatically... WTF

Yep. It's that easy. Move the files and update that one setting. You don't even have to touch the database. The library/config.php file will still point to the same database when you move the files.

Yes.

Thats a good fix for now thanks Jake. That will serve me good for a while but eventually this will have to be resolved. Did the htaccess file look out of the ordinary??

I don't have a facebook account. I am resisting it with all my might. But alas, I might have to get one if only to be able to test stuff like this.
No facebook? wow :P
Its a handy feature for guests. And it could be the difference between someone signing up and someone not.
I downloaded FF and tested FB login and works fine. So IE and FF work fine now. Chrome doesnt like the facebook login. I think i may of read somewhere thats its an existing issue but I cant find the post.

***UPDATE***

Ok so the problem is back. It must be intermittent as I can find what appears to be a fix but then its the same old refresh error.

Firstly I want to say that this is either a bug with my VPS or a bug with XF.. possibly facebook.

I have tried this on 4 seperate environments and all 3 main broswsers IE,FF & Chrome. Including IE6, 8 & 9

I get a mixture of errors depending on the browsers but I have a strong belief that resolving this refresh issue will fix everything!

It was first believed that a HTML or 301 redirect to a subforum(where my XF was installed) was the issue. Disabling the HTML redirect and 301 re-direct at different times produced different results but for a short peroid of time removing the re-directs seemed to have worked. But then I was left with the issue of seeing a bare directory tree and user having to click 'community' folder to enter the forums so the forums where moved.

The forums where moved to the root directory(public_html or www whatever you want to call it) so going to www.mmazone.com.au would lead you straight into the forums...great.... so i thought. FB seemed to work when i tried it a few times then shortly after it was being weird again, no refresh issues but logging in via facebook just took me back to my forum homepage and i wasnt logged in.

I had 2 facebook apps that i was alternating with for the login. Editing them like crazy trying every combo of every setting of every suggestion ive read on this forum... DID NOI WORK!

I deleted the 2 facebook apps and made a NEW one thinking i had edited the other ones so much i wasnt sure what a 'normal' setup looked like anymore.

So I followed Brogans guide he posted in another thread when XF was released. I followed it to a TEE.

Strangley enough the refresh issues are there. Please feel free to test for yourself!

HELP!?!?! I planned to go live in about 2 weeks and everythings running great except for the facebook login option. Since im starting a new site i think this is vital to recruit new members.

Mike, Kier, Brogan, Santa Clause?

If Mike, Kier or Brogan can PLEASE help I am more then willing to provide cpanel, ftp, root access, facebook access whatever you need from me to get this resolved! I can even make a video of the error and put it on yourtube if you guys are too busy to have a look? Just let me know ill do whatever to fix this! thank you.

***update***

After typing all the above out its changed. Now i click 'login with facebook' and it does something... then redirects me to the homepage but doesnt refresh this time... doesnt login me also. Does the face i created the application with the same ID im trying to link matter?

I'm not sure what to suggest. I just re-associated my FB account. It logged in without any problems and I was able to logout without any problems either.

I'm not sure what to suggest. I just re-associated my FB account. It logged in without any problems and I was able to logout without any problems either.

Thanks for replying Mike.

Signing up with facebook i never had much issues with. It was AFTER signing up with FB and trying to logon that the issues started. I just tested it through firefox and it did work for me although i sometimes got an error of "An error occurred while connecting with Facebook. Please try again later." could that just be busy traffic on FB end? I will leave the setup I have now for a couple of days and see if it works consistently. Ive noticed a lot of other people have had FB issues also, is there some sort of bug with FB you are aware of? thanks for your time Mike, i know youre a busy man.

Well, any sort of refreshing issue is caused by being in a different state in FB than on the forum. They have to be the same. If for some reason, cookies couldn't be removed or set, then that would trigger it. But as far as I know, you're the only person that's run into it.

FB connection errors can potentially be debugged in the new FB integration test tool. I've never seen a sporadic FB error though, unless your server is actually having problems connecting to FB for some reason.

although i sometimes got an error of "An error occurred while connecting with Facebook. Please try again later." could that just be busy traffic on FB end?
That's FaceBook, I get it on my site and here sometimes.
It does seem to be occurring more frequently, hardly surprising though with the amount of traffic they have to accommodate.

Well, any sort of refreshing issue is caused by being in a different state in FB than on the forum. They have to be the same. If for some reason, cookies couldn't be removed or set, then that would trigger it. But as far as I know, you're the only person that's run into it.

FB connection errors can potentially be debugged in the new FB integration test tool. I've never seen a sporadic FB error though, unless your server is actually having problems connecting to FB for some reason.

Ah forgot about the new tool! I tried it, looks fine, shows my name and picture. Although im already starting to get those funny errors again. I think the best thing is if i make a short video. Ill show me logging in on chrome, ff and ie9beta

also my FB app setup. I think thats the best way! ill do it later tonight when i get some time, ill update this thread when done and let you know, thanks Mike.

That's FaceBook, I get it on my site and here sometimes.
It does seem to be occurring more frequently though, hardly surprising with the amount of traffic they have to accommodate though.

Thanks for the info Brogan, glad to see that error wasnt another issue just for me! FB definatley gets huge traffic, youd think they would prepare for it though! ah well cant complain, it is free after all

Hi Guys,

Just so you dont all think I am mad :) here is a video of the issues im having. This has to be some form of XF bug I think because i have another forum setup on the same domain and it works fine!
Anyways heres the vid.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[EDIT]
Just noticed the embedded video quality is not good enough to read the URL's. If you watch the HD version you can though ...

Hmm, that's weird.

It still makes me think there's something in the root/.htaccess which is causing it.

Did you say you moved the installation to a sub-directory and it worked?

Hmm, that's weird.

It still makes me think there's something in the root/.htaccess which is causing it.

Did you say you moved the installation to a sub-directory and it worked?

Sorry about the last reply, my iPhone wasnt working properly!

up until yesterday my forum was in /community

i moved it to the root of the domain because i thought the redirections were the issue

this is what my .htaccess file says as of now

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^(data|js|styles|install) - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>

The .htaccess file in my /test directory is;

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^(data|js|styles|install) - [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>

Are you using the same app for both of them? As the issue actually comes from something I either missed before or wasn't clear on: the URL you're accessing.

Your board URL (in your settings) appears to be listed as www.mmazone.com.au - but you're accessing via mmazone.com.au. There is a bug here that I can look into, though I'm not sure what you have entered in Facebook as your app's domain/URL. If you access via www... instead, the login (and logout) will work without an issue.

Right now, I'd say pick what URL you want and make your board URL in XF ACP settings match that. You can then re-add that redirect you had.

Are you using the same app for both of them? As the issue actually comes from something I either missed before or wasn't clear on: the URL you're accessing.

Your board URL (in your settings) appears to be listed as www.mmazone.com.au - but you're accessing via mmazone.com.au. There is a bug here that I can look into, though I'm not sure what you have entered in Facebook as your app's domain/URL. If you access via www... instead, the login (and logout) will work without an issue.

Right now, I'd say pick what URL you want and make your board URL in XF ACP settings match that. You can then re-add that redirect you had.

Hi Mike,
Both facebook apps point to the www address. In thest forum the URL settings were mmazone.com.au/test and in my main board it was www.mmazone.com.au. I thought id take away the www and it works! There is another issue now though. When i access the forums via mmazone.com.au all works fine but when i use www.mmazone.com.au the FB login does not work and that weird refresh issue is there. So if my users use www they will also have issues, is there a fix around for that? Thanks Mike.

Alternatively, you can try removing the www from the facebook app, though I don't think that will really end up working either (probably getting an error if you do have the www in the board URL).

Top Bottom