As designed  website unavailable when upgrading add-on or importing a style

Ryan Kent

I added a new flexile color to an existing style. While the style was being imported the ACP showed "Rebuilding...". I decided to use my 2nd pc to browse my forums. Any page I tried to use came up blank (a completely white screen, no message) within 2 seconds. I thought it to be a momentary glitch. When the style was finished importing, my site resumed working normally.

A few minutes later I upgraded my XenPorta add-on with the current update. While my ACP said "Rebuilding Caches...." my site seemed to go down again in the same manner described above. When the update process completed, my site began working normally again.

This is unfortunately expected - the only way to do the rebuilds is in steps, and it needs to remove the data first.

What if you make the board inactive whilst performing updates through the 'Board Active' options in the ACP, will the inactive message still show when updating instead of a blank screen?

What if you make the board inactive whilst performing updates through the 'Board Active' options in the ACP, will the inactive message still show when updating instead of a blank screen?
Nope. Things will still be missing. What I would like to see is some simple code added to show a simple line saying the forum is down. You get prompted to choose what it will say before rebuilds.

I was discussing this with Mike a while ago and he did say that one option would be to utilise a cache, which wouldn't be affected during template rebuilds.

Top Bottom