1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Website hosting

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by ThunderBird2, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ThunderBird2

ThunderBird2 Member

Which website hosting is great for xenForo effectively? I am looking only in US/Canada host providers, namecheap? hostgator? security priority ? :unsure:

I am just start to create small forum.....any advice pls?
  2. ThunderBird2

ThunderBird2 Member

bumps! :D
  3. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

anything but "HostPapa" :D
    Tracy Perry and ThunderBird2 like this.
  4. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

Well would be nice to know what kind of budget for hosting you are looking at. If price isn't much of an option then you have xfhost.net as well as Nimbus hosting. I haven't used Nimbus but I am currently with xfhost.net and I am really happy. Those 2 options aren't cheap but in my experience you get what you pay for. Those real cheap hosts tend to over crowd (over sell) the servers to try to get more bang for their buck. The sites I mentioned cost more cause they don't over sell the servers.
    ThunderBird2 likes this.
  5. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

What to look for is what are the modules installed (see what is recommended by XF) versions of php 5.xx
    Msql size, disk space, FTP ,backup etc. ..
    Like your forum is very young you can you focused on hosting small price (just for starters).

See also proposes that the host as the administration panel.
    Do a search on the net hosting provider to check reviews, it is not often down
    ThunderBird2 likes this.
  6. ThunderBird2

ThunderBird2 Member

Sorry, I purchase namecheap host which I feel more reasonable. Then I am trying to upload all the files to ePanel File Manager, I try to put /xenforo/install in public html files. Create XenForo Directory. All the files should upload to public html folder?

How can I do that, it is so frustrated?

7. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

must be sent in the "FTP" content "upload" unzip.
    You edit a file "includes/config.exemple.php" in "config.php".
    Inside, you will specify the IDs of your database.

You have a domain already? if you just bought it takes DNS propagation.

between 24 and 48 hours

otherwise the install can not be done from the "URL"
  8. ThunderBird2

ThunderBird2 Member

Yes, I bought domain. Despite DNS's 24-48 hours, so then just upload all files to the public html in file manager for now?
  9. 14DH01

14DH01 Active Member

yes :)
    For security, wait until the propagation is full.

congratulations otherwise :D
    ThunderBird2 likes this.
  10. ThunderBird2

ThunderBird2 Member

Thank you ! ;)
    14DH01 likes this.
  11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Why are you creating a separate directory? If all you are going to run is xenForo, just copy the files from the upload folder directly into your /public-html directory on the site. Once that is done you should have already created an empty database via phpMyAdmin (I'm sure you have access from your control panel to that). You will then point at your domain.com/install (once propagation has completed - or you can hit the site yourself via domain name) and follow the prompts. You will need to change permissions on the folders data and internal_data to 777 (again, using your file manager you should be able to do this) because you will get a warning during install if not done.
    14DH01 likes this.