XF 2.1 .webm and .webp, etc

there 2 new picture / animated pictures format that been released lately and the forum is not letting uploading those pictures... will there be fix on that or?

I would have thought anything that is core to Xenforo should work on all browsers/OS otherwise users would get confused if some people see things and others don't.
It should be up to site owners to determine what formats they allow to upload. If it were related to design choices in XenForo itself, then yes, I would agree. Although, you can also compare it to how XenForo does push notifications. Are we able to receive push notifications on Apple devices? Nah.

It should be up to site owners to determine what formats they allow to upload. If it were related to design choices in XenForo itself, then yes, I would agree. Although, you can also compare it to how XenForo does push notifications. Are we able to receive push notifications on Apple devices? Nah.

Bit of a difference though between something thats nice to have and threads or posts becoming completely broken / incoherent because content is simply missing.

Bit of a difference though between something thats nice to have and threads or posts becoming completely broken / incoherent because content is simply missing.
If it's simply a file upload then it's the same as someone not having a PDF reading software installed. Does XenForo still allow PDF uploads? Also, from my experience, webms still display, but when clicked iOS asks for a suitable program to run them which is remedied by downloading something like VLC.

I would have thought anything that is core to Xenforo should work on all browsers/OS otherwise users would get confused if some people see things and others don't.
Thank goodness the actual XF devs don't have that mindset, otherwise we'd still be waiting on push notifications for the rest of the computing world that supports them.

Thank goodness the actual XF devs don't have that mindset, otherwise we'd still be waiting on push notifications for the rest of the computing world that supports them.

I misunderstood, thinking we were talking about embedding different video formats as opposed to just uploading the, Of course I don't see anything wrong for people to be able to upload able safe formats that other may find useful.

I misunderstood, thinking we were talking about embedding different video formats as opposed to just uploading the, Of course I don't see anything wrong for people to be able to upload able safe formats that other may find useful.
Oh, so now your "core" comment is only in regards to video formats. :LOL:

Oh, so now your "core" comment is only in regards to video formats. :LOL:

Not at all, my comment is in regard to most (if not quite all) important areas of the way xenforo is displayed in general, ie it should work on all current major OS's and browsers. Obviously some obsolete browsers or buggy aren't going to be supported.

Hence when I realised the query is in regard to uploaded attachments rather than my mistaken impression it was embeds displayed on forum threads, I made it clear that my comment was not so relevant.

Last edited:
Not at all, my comment is in regard to most (if not quite all) important areas of the way xenforo is displayed in general, ie it should work on all current major OS's and browsers. Obviously some obsolete browsers aren't going to be supported.

Hence when I realised the query is in regard to uploaded attachments rather than my mistaken impression it was embeds displayed on forum threads, I made it clear that my comment was not so relevant.
(y)

It should be up to site owners to determine what formats they allow to upload.
They can do that in ACP >Options > Attachments (just tested and works fine.
Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 15.07.11.png

Although, you can also compare it to how XenForo does push notifications. Are we able to receive push notifications on Apple devices? Nah.

I don't see how that is related. You can choose to allow webm or webp attachments. Obviously you cannot choose push notifications to be available on platforms that don't support them.

Why they don't is a different discussion.

They can do that in ACP >Options > Attachments (just tested and works fine.
View attachment 201838

I don't see how that is related. You can choose to allow webm or webp attachments. Obviously you cannot choose push notifications to be available on platforms that don't support them.

Why they don't is a different discussion.
I was going based off OP stating they were unable to do so and a staff member seemingly confirming that the case because it's not supported by Apple. Either way, it's proven now that it can be done so no need to go any further about it.

Back
Top Bottom