1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Designers Rejoice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chousho, Oct 6, 2010.

1. chousho

chousho Well-Known Member

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/05/ie-market-share/

Apparently IE's browser share has fallen below 50%, according to a recent poll by StatCounter.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

So that's good news, but here's the problem: As long as IE maintains a significant share of the market (which in my opinion, will be for as long as web browsers exist), we will still have to design with IE in mind...Whether IE owns 10% marketshare or 50% marketshare, we still have to support it. If it drops below 5%, then it's not as clear cut...but honestly, I don't see that happening.

Now, IE6 is another story. It's by far the worst version of IE to work with, and it's less and less important as every day goes on. I decided not too long ago to stop supporting IE6 in my designs all together, and boy, it does feel good to get rid of a version of IE :)

3. MentaL

MentaL Active Member

sucks when adblock plus comes preinstalled with firefox though.

4. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

It has been falling on our forum since last year, now down to 55% I believe (coming from over 70%). Let's hope the trend continuous.

5. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Well, IE works better for a lot of people, I use it most of the time because it cuts and pastes data much cleaner than all the other browsers, it works much better for a lot of forum posting applications also.

So you guys will still need to make sure your apps work with IE, not all the old stuff but now IE 9 is coming out.