Webwide | Web Designer, Developer and Maker Community | Now Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamgreenough

Forum:

Landing page:

Webwide is an inclusive long-form discussion board community for web designers, developers and makers. We're united by a passion for creating on the web and supporting our industry community.

I'd love to hear your seasoned forum user thoughts. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! We're actually currently #3 on Product Hunt. I think it is taking some people a bit by surprise that a traditional forum is gaining quite a bit of interest. 😄

I've created a landing page to show a bit more about the forum. Using the API to grab threads and stats!

I've created a landing page to show a bit more about the forum. Using the API to grab threads and stats!
did you use the API to code your landing page?

Holy Cow! Wut an amazing beginning. 🤓 I don't think I've ever seen a forum take off like that. I'm truly happy for you, Adam. I'm now living vicariously through you lol.

Everything looks great. My only recommendation is to add a button to your landing page that takes you straight to the forums. I know that there are links to specific threads that could serve that purpose, however, when you first land on a site, you don't want to make a joining commitment until you first explore the site a little and get a feel for the community. Anyways, keep up the good work. :love:

did you use the API to code your landing page?
Hi @shimspedy! Yes I used the API to load the recent threads. I created a PHP script that just returns the info I need as JSON then load that in to some simple JavaScript to display dynamically on that page. Since it appears to be quite difficult to get stats from the API at the moment I am just scraping the 'statistics' sidebar widget of my forum using PHP, returning a JSON file of them to load again in to the landing.

Holy Cow! Wut an amazing beginning. 🤓 I don't think I've ever seen a forum take off like that. I'm truly happy for you, Adam. I'm now living vicariously through you lol.

Everything looks great. My only recommendation is to add a button to your landing page that takes you straight to the forums. I know that there are links to specific threads that could serve that purpose, however, when you first land on a site, you don't want to make a joining commitment until you first explore the site a little and get a feel for the community. Anyways, keep up the good work. :love:

Thanks so much @l3ta! Very happy to see you on there. I have been lucky with some good reactions on other community sites. The challenge now will be to keep that engagement going so will be doing my best. But yeah, 500 members and 1300 posts in first week is not too shabby I think! Thanks so much for your feedback on the landing page a great point.

Thanks so much @l3ta! Very happy to see you on there. I have been lucky with some good reactions on other community sites. The challenge now will be to keep that engagement going so will be doing my best. But yeah, 500 members and 1300 posts in first week is not too shabby I think! Thanks so much for your feedback on the landing page a great point.
You're welcome. Thanks for having me. I've posted a thread on our site with a link back to Webwide. Cheers :)

Hi @shimspedy! Yes I used the API to load the recent threads. I created a PHP script that just returns the info I need as JSON then load that in to some simple JavaScript to display dynamically on that page. Since it appears to be quite difficult to get stats from the API at the moment I am just scraping the 'statistics' sidebar widget of my forum using PHP, returning a JSON file of them to load again in to the landing.
haha well your really good at it and your forum is spiking more than any forum I have to know...

Reached 800 users and 2000 posts today! I also created, using the API, a script that generates custom Twitter card and Facebook OG images for (hopefully) better engagement.

It automatically grabs the user, avatar, forum and title and overlays it on a template using PHP GD, generated & cached for social:

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 02.10.01.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom