Webwide | Web Designer, Developer and Maker Community | Now Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 15.35.19.webp

Been working hard on a big list of updates for us. Here's what we've got.

New Features
  • The new Webwide shopand credits system (thanks @sfcgeorge for the inspiration!)
    • You will now find a Shop link in the nav where you can find account upgrades, forum styles and IRL rewards to redeem
    • Earn credits for being an active member
    • Send credits or gift shop items to other members
    • Help support the Webwide platform by purchasing credits
    • Enter our weekly credits lottery for your chance to win big
    • Plenty more shop items coming soon so keep your eyes peeled (plus suggestions welcome! What would you like to see?)
    • Our commitment to plant 200 trees has moved from referrals to the credits shop
    • The most active Webwide members will be receiving appropriate credit gifts over the next day or two
  • Events calendarcontaining both upcoming Webwide activities as well as other general interest events
    • Let me know if you have a suggestion or would like to plan a Webwide activity!
  • Real name profile field (thanks @Gummibeer for the suggestion!)
  • The Webwide digest has now been automated and personalised; it can be turned on on your preferences page
Bug Fixes & Improvements
  • Profile social details now consistently accept full URLs
  • Inline links no longer unfurl in to their SEO titles
  • Link visibility improved on classic dark style
  • Navigation links reduced
  • Sidebar icon on mobiles moved all way to right
  • Various incremental style improvements
  • Various incremental performance improvements
Code of Conduct Updates
In Progress
  • Further ongoing incremental style improvements, particular attention being paid to user experience and general pixel-perfect refinements
    • If there's any styling quirks bothering you or you think can be improved, let me know!
  • The Webwide blog is still underway, after a bit of analysis paralysis on blog platforms
  • My web developer tool directory, Hoard.fyi, with several hundred daily visitors is getting rebranded and updated as part of the Webwide network
  • Improving OpenGraph image generator with bit more variety plus better special character support (including emoji hopefully!)

What blog platform did you decide to choose for the webwide blog portion? I've been found of Ghost myself lately (even though it is a hassle to get it setup)

What blog platform did you decide to choose for the webwide blog portion? I've been found of Ghost myself lately (even though it is a hassle to get it setup)
I'm currently building with Grav CMS. It is not ideal but it is flat-file so I can commit the whole thing to source control and open source it so my community can take part in its development.

I am a WordPress dev by day but wanted to keep away from that since it is quite dividing and I wanted to open source the blog so others could contribute.

Ghost is great but I do not want to run another class of server just to power it or pay their extortionate cloud hosting.

I'm currently building with Grav CMS. It is not ideal but it is flat-file so I can commit the whole thing to source control and open source it so my community can take part in its development.

I am a WordPress dev by day but wanted to keep away from that since it is quite dividing and I wanted to open source the blog so others could contribute.

Ghost is great but I do not want to run another class of server just to power it or pay their extortionate cloud hosting.

Ahhh I know what you mean.

It was such a hassle to setup (took me about 3 hours) and for some reason it can't be installed in a directory that's not named ghost... I got it up and running on my LEMP stack though that I use for my personal site and probably future sites/forums as well.

Nice project. Might I ask how you managed to get custom icons? I tried with TH nodes, but seems that aren't working.

Hi, @adamgreenough.

I don’t comment too often in the forum showcase threads, but I’ve been looking for a web dev forum as I’m beginning to learn a few languages.

Ancient forums like DP are not my style. I prefer forums that feel like the owner is extremely approachable, passionate about their forum, and are focused on a modern design.

I was blown away by the design of your forum and your attention to detail / how organized your posts are. I really like what you’re doing and this will definitely be my web dev forum of choice when I actually have some free time to join and settle in.

With how many huge, ancient web dev forums already exist, I think it is ambitious of you to jump into the niche now. And I think you are really doing it right.

One thing I’m curious about. I have been seeing more and more .io domains. What is their intended notion? Why did you use one instead of .com? I like it though; it feels modern.

Hi, @adamgreenough.

I don’t comment too often in the forum showcase threads, but I’ve been looking for a web dev forum as I’m beginning to learn a few languages.

Ancient forums like DP are not my style. I prefer forums that feel like the owner is extremely approachable, passionate about their forum, and are focused on a modern design.

I was blown away by the design of your forum and your attention to detail / how organized your posts are. I really like what you’re doing and this will definitely be my web dev forum of choice when I actually have some free time to join and settle in.

With how many huge, ancient web dev forums already exist, I think it is ambitious of you to jump into the niche now. And I think you are really doing it right.

One thing I’m curious about. I have been seeing more and more .io domains. What is their intended notion? Why did you use one instead of .com? I like it though; it feels modern.
Thank you so much! That’s really kind. I’d love to see you there.

The .io domain is really the country code domain for the Indian Ocean islands but both people and search engines don’t really see it that way. It has been adopted by the tech community because of the similarities to input/output a popular tech term. This was before the new gTLD launched in response to the immense lack of available .COMs which I struggled with as well.

Wikipedia has a good page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.io#Usage

Thank you so much! That’s really kind. I’d love to see you there.

The .io domain is really the country code domain for the Indian Ocean islands but both people and search engines don’t really see it that way. It has been adopted by the tech community because of the similarities to input/output a popular tech term. This was before the new gTLD launched in response to the immense lack of available .COMs which I struggled with as well.

Wikipedia has a good page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.io#Usage
I assumed it was a country code being used for tech. I see how that makes sense. And it looks nice. Google definitely doesn’t care? Maybe I’m old school in thinking a non-.com is frowned upon by Google. What is the new gTLD?

I assumed it was a country code being used for tech. I see how that makes sense. And it looks nice. Google definitely doesn’t care? Maybe I’m old school in thinking a non-.com is frowned upon by Google. What is the new gTLD?
gTLD is generic top level domain. Loads of them released recently like .design, .tech, .ninja, .builder, etc etc.

Google confirms country code domains they treat as generic in their own docs: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en in the Generic top level domains drop down.

“Generic Country Code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs): Google treats some ccTLDs (such as .tv, .me, etc.) as gTLDs, as we've found that users and webmasters frequently see these more generic than country-targeted. Here is a list of those ccTLDs (this list may change).

.ad
.as
  • .bz
  • .cc
  • .cd
  • .co
  • .dj
  • .fm
  • .io
  • .la
  • .me
  • .ms
  • .nu
  • .sc
  • .sr
  • .su
  • .tv
  • .tk
  • .ws”

Thanks Nikodak! It is a heavily customised UIX theme, though I am not too happy with it. With the amount I have done to it it would have been easier to start from the base theme with less bugs so that’s what I’ll be doing for 2.2 with a similar aesthetic.

Upgrading to 2.2 this week thanks to the new RC! Abandoning UIX and making my own more streamlined theme based on the XF base theme which seems to be much faster, reliable and more keyboard accessible which UIX has issues with. Hopefully launching that Friday.

In the meantime, I've updated my OpenGraph images and looking much better now! Old ones were a little clunky looking and not too reliable. Switched to a headless chrome screenshotting an API generated card now. Also moved to Twemoji for Emoji replacement which solves some browser display issues.

Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 22.05.46.png

Get custom automatically generated OpenGraph images for your own forum at https://xenforo.com/community/threa...-custom-opengraph-twitter-card-images.185244/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom