Affected version
Reproduce:
  1. Create new widget
  2. Choose "New posts"
  3. Check:
    • Forum list: Sidebar​
    • Watched​
  4. Save.
  5. Now, go to forum list and watch the query time... Takes about 3 to 5 seconds!
Update: I haven't been able to reproduce it on a test user which only has 2 pages of watched threads. My main account has 1300 and it takes at least 3 seconds to load.

Last edited:
Doing some testing here and while this isn't a great query, there isn't really a direct way to optimize it and I don't think it should be that bad overall. This query taking 3-5 seconds with 1300 threads likely points to other bottlenecks on the server (likely in MySQL's configuration and/or something like disk speed).

For reference, the query run here is basically identical to the query run when viewing your list of watched threads. You can check how it performs there. On the XF community, where I appear to have about 4500 threads watched, the query takes less than 0.1 seconds to run. If it's taking 3-5 seconds, the only non-server'y element I can think of is MySQL coming up with the wrong query plan, but that feels unlikely to me. If you want to check that, if you enable debug mode and look at the query output for your watched threads page, the EXPLAIN output for the major query here should likely start with the xf_thread_watch table. If it starts with xf_thread, I could potentially see that being the issue, though I'd guess that would still be triggered for users with few watched threads.

Here are the major queries:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `xf_thread` INNER JOIN `xf_thread_watch` AS `xf_thread_watch_Watch_5` ON (`xf_thread_watch_Watch_5`.`thread_id` = `xf_thread`.`thread_id` AND `xf_thread_watch_Watch_5`.`user_id` = '1') WHERE (`xf_thread`.`discussion_state` = 'visible')
Run Time: 1.401076

Select TypeTableTypePossible KeysKeyKey LenRefRowsExtra
SIMPLExf_thread_watch_Watch_5refPRIMARY,thread_id_email_subscribePRIMARY4const50784Using index
SIMPLExf_threadeq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4xenforo2.xf_thread_watch_Watch_5.thread_id1Using where
SELECT `xf_thread`.*, `xf_user_User_1`.*, `xf_user_LastPoster_2`.*, `xf_thread_read_Read_3`.*, `xf_thread_user_post_UserPosts_4`.*, `xf_thread_watch_Watch_5`.*, `xf_forum_Forum_6`.*, `xf_node_Node_7`.*, `xf_forum_read_Read_8`.*, `xf_forum_watch_Watch_9`.* FROM `xf_thread` LEFT JOIN `xf_user` AS `xf_user_User_1` ON (`xf_user_User_1`.`user_id` = `xf_thread`.`user_id`) LEFT JOIN `xf_user` AS `xf_user_LastPoster_2` ON (`xf_user_LastPoster_2`.`user_id` = `xf_thread`.`last_post_user_id`) LEFT JOIN `xf_thread_read` AS `xf_thread_read_Read_3` ON (`xf_thread_read_Read_3`.`thread_id` = `xf_thread`.`thread_id` AND `xf_thread_read_Read_3`.`user_id` = '1') LEFT JOIN `xf_thread_user_post` AS `xf_thread_user_post_UserPosts_4` ON (`xf_thread_user_post_UserPosts_4`.`thread_id` = `xf_thread`.`thread_id` AND `xf_thread_user_post_UserPosts_4`.`user_id` = '1') INNER JOIN `xf_thread_watch` AS `xf_thread_watch_Watch_5` ON (`xf_thread_watch_Watch_5`.`thread_id` = `xf_thread`.`thread_id` AND `xf_thread_watch_Watch_5`.`user_id` = '1') LEFT JOIN `xf_forum` AS `xf_forum_Forum_6` ON (`xf_forum_Forum_6`.`node_id` = `xf_thread`.`node_id`) LEFT JOIN `xf_node` AS `xf_node_Node_7` ON (`xf_node_Node_7`.`node_id` = `xf_forum_Forum_6`.`node_id`) LEFT JOIN `xf_forum_read` AS `xf_forum_read_Read_8` ON (`xf_forum_read_Read_8`.`node_id` = `xf_forum_Forum_6`.`node_id` AND `xf_forum_read_Read_8`.`user_id` = '1') LEFT JOIN `xf_forum_watch` AS `xf_forum_watch_Watch_9` ON (`xf_forum_watch_Watch_9`.`node_id` = `xf_forum_Forum_6`.`node_id` AND `xf_forum_watch_Watch_9`.`user_id` = '1') WHERE (`xf_thread`.`discussion_state` = 'visible') ORDER BY `xf_thread`.`last_post_date` DESC LIMIT 20
Run Time: 2.371716

Select TypeTableTypePossible KeysKeyKey LenRefRowsExtra
SIMPLExf_thread_watch_Watch_5refPRIMARY,thread_id_email_subscribePRIMARY4const50784Using temporary; Using filesort
SIMPLExf_threadeq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4xenforo2.xf_thread_watch_Watch_5.thread_id1Using where
SIMPLExf_forum_Forum_6eq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4xenforo2.xf_thread.node_id1
SIMPLExf_node_Node_7eq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4xenforo2.xf_forum_Forum_6.node_id1Using where
SIMPLExf_forum_read_Read_8eq_refuser_id_node_id,node_iduser_id_node_id8const,xenforo2.xf_forum_Forum_6.node_id1Using where
SIMPLExf_forum_watch_Watch_9eq_refPRIMARY,node_id_notify_onPRIMARY8const,xenforo2.xf_forum_Forum_6.node_id1Using where
SIMPLExf_user_User_1eq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4xenforo2.xf_thread.user_id1
SIMPLExf_user_LastPoster_2eq_refPRIMARYPRIMARY4xenforo2.xf_thread.last_post_user_id1
SIMPLExf_thread_read_Read_3eq_refuser_id_thread_id,thread_iduser_id_thread_id8const,xenforo2.xf_thread_watch_Watch_5.thread_id1
SIMPLExf_thread_user_post_UserPosts_4eq_refPRIMARY,user_idPRIMARY8xenforo2.xf_thread_watch_Watch_5.thread_id,const1

Last edited:
BTW, I meant 1300 pages, not 1300 threads, my mistake. I have 26.400 watched threads which means 1320 pages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom