Watch the Skies!

http://www.calsky.com/csrender.cgi?object=Satellite&number=3&sat=21701&tracker=

another few hours and it should be no more

according to a recent NASA update

"As of 7 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 90 miles by 95 miles (145 km by 150 km). Re-entry is expected between 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 3 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3 a.m. to 7 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote."

The next orbit should bring it over Texas. I'll try to capture video if I'm able to locate it quick enough.

Will be interested to know if you can see it, I don't think it will be visible until it gets below 80km and starts hitting the main atmosphere, good luck !!

You will be safe because

the UARS satellite carries no toxic propellant

it does contain 1000lbs of hydrazine though

here are some warning labels associated with the compound

50px-GHS-pictogram-acid.svg.webp50px-GHS-pictogram-flamme.svg.webp50px-GHS-pictogram-pollu.svg.webp50px-GHS-pictogram-silhouete.svg.webp50px-GHS-pictogram-skull.svg.webp
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

40px-Hazard_N.svg.webp40px-Hazard_T.svg.webp
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

NFPA_704.webp
NFPA_704xplained.webp

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

And associated health risks from one source.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+@rel+302-01-2

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Me ...last thing I am worried about is keeping a piece if it falls near me lol..... I would be the one dodging man-made asteroids and hoping something the size of that tank at the end of the video doesn't come crashing through my ceiling and show me what it feels like to be ground beef.

I seriously would not touch a piece of it even though I am a space nut and it would be great to have in a collection as a piece of history....but not good enough where I want to be history.

Will be interested to know if you can see it, I don't think it will be visible until it gets below 80km and starts hitting the main atmosphere, good luck !!
Nothing that I could see. Interestingly, looks like aircraft are flying lower in their patterns tonight. I have two major airports within 25 miles and they are rarely this low on approach.

The next orbit should bring it over Texas. I'll try to capture video if I'm able to locate it quick enough.

I did spot something flying low in the sky that I initally thought was the ISS, but I then looked up the position of the ISS and it was over the US. I didn't think the UARS orbit came over the EU, all the diagrams I saw suggested it always orbited over the Americas?

Has it crashed down now or is it still up there?

I particularly liked the warning:

So they're not remotely interested in whether anyone is injured or not, just whether they'll have their property returned...

If it falls from the sky into your back yard how do you not own it? Especially if you are outside the US, and you didn't give them permission to land the unit on your property.

There is a local guy here who has a piece of land with an oil pump jack on it. The oil company truckers always take his personal approach, and not the one they built on the other side of his yard. I guess whenever they take the personal approach, he shuts his gate, and they aren't allowed to open it, because they are trespassing.

The trucker gets a ride out, and the truck has to stay until the company negotiates a price for its return. It always ends up the oil company pays the ransom to get the truck back(last I heard he got 15k for the latest catch). If they don't pay, he just lets it sit in the yard and rust away. He has done it on a number of occasions, so I guess it must be legal.

I wonder what the legalities are for falling space junk? It should be the same rules as junk in the ocean should it not? Finders keepers sorta thing?

Unless they specifically tracked each fragment and know where it landed, I don't see what's stopping you from taking it. :whistle:

Top Bottom