Warning Improvements by Xon

Warning Improvements by Xon 1.7.2

No permission to download
I like requiring notes :)

Feature request: it'd help us to consolidate our add-on's (use one less addon) if this one would also have an option to send an email to warned users. This is very useful for when a warning puts a user into temp-banned territory. A temp-banned user cannot view alerts, and has no idea what post got them banned.

A suggestion: instead of (or in addition to) completely anonymizing the warning issuer, I suggest an option to assign all warnings to a specific user. I realize that it's almost the same thing, but we came from vB where there was a very popular mod for issuing all warnings from a dummy moderator. (y)

How about to open a thread in a specific forum-node by a specific user when the warning threshold trigger a ban/usergroup change?

And in the thread linking all the content where the user got warnings points that triggered that specific ban/usergroup change.

In this way in community where the mods action are public it will be automatized the announce of a ban or a limitation.

Xon updated Warning Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

New Feature - Show warning actions on a user's profile

New features:
  • Ability to see warning actions applied to an account from the front-end
    • users may see warning actions agains thier account
    • automatically roll-up identical warning actions to show the latest expiry
    • per-group moderator permissions for editing/viewing all/disable summarization.

Warning; All user group titles will be visible if they are applied in a Warning Action

3 new permission:
    • View Warning Actions
    • Edit...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thank you, this will help other users to understand why a user was suspended or banned.
By default, a user can only see their own warning actions.

But you could definitely use the moderator permission to allow everyone to see everyone else's warning actions. Especially as it is decoupled from seeing the warnings.

Just be aware, this will mean users will be able to see all group changes done by warning actions!

Do you think that "Warning actions" could be merged with "Warning" tab somehow? Or do you think it's better have it separated.
I'm not sure. The Warning Action tab is really just cloned off the Warnings tab. I can definitely see how it would make sense to combine to the two, especially give how closely they are linked.

The major issue is overhauling how the profile tab signals the Warning/Warning Action tab has content. While warning actions are created by warnings after some threshold; you can have a profile with no warnings but with warning actions, and the other way around, or contain both.

I'm unsure how to clearly mark that on the profile "warning" tab so users and moderators would not be confused.

Last edited:
Just upgraded to the latest version - thanks Xon! It's called 1.0.4 here but after running the upgrade it's called 1.1.0 in my control panel.

Reactions: Xon
Just upgraded to the latest version - thanks Xon! It's called 1.0.4 here but after running the upgrade it's called 1.1.0 in my control panel.
Thanks for catching that. I missed entering the version when adding the update.

I've re-uploaded it with the correct version, but it has the exact same contents as the version you downloaded.

Last edited:
@Xon noticing one thing missing from this that would make it perfect for my site. When our staff issues a warning, we typically start a conversation notifying them of what post it was that caused the warning. My intent is to make issuance of warnings anonymous and it does, but the conversations are not they are sent by the Issuer. Is there anyway we can get the added function to have all warnings and conversations started through the warning process, be issued from a specific user?

@Xon noticing one thing missing from this that would make it perfect for my site. When our staff issues a warning, we typically start a conversation notifying them of what post it was that caused the warning. My intent is to make issuance of warnings anonymous and it does, but the conversations are not they are sent by the Issuer. Is there anyway we can get the added function to have all warnings and conversations started through the warning process, be issued from a specific user?
Extending the warning conversation sending process is difficult, but I'll look into it.

The easiest way is to force the entire warning issuing process to run under a different user.

This will also solve:
A suggestion: instead of (or in addition to) completely anonymizing the warning issuer, I suggest an option to assign all warnings to a specific user. I realize that it's almost the same thing, but we came from vB where there was a very popular mod for issuing all warnings from a dummy moderator. (y)

Extending the warning conversation sending process is difficult, but I'll look into it.
The easiest way is to force the entire warning issuing process to run under a different user.
I think that this can work in little forums with 1/2 mods.

Where mods are 3+ know "who issue what" is important and using a single user exclude this possibility because logs will be related only to a single user, right? :(

I think that this can work in little forums with 1/2 mods.

Where mods are 3+ know "who issue what" is important and using a single user exclude this possibility because logs will be related only to a single user, right? :(
What I want todo at some stage, is create a 'shared conversation' option which allows all members of a group to see/reply to conversations in that user's inbox. With some controls on who can delete conversations to that user.

The idea would then be warning conversations are started/added into the shared user, and then all moderators can see it.

But I have no ETA on that addon.

Xon updated Warning Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

New Features - Email on warning options & new conversation replacables (on submit)

• Additional conversation substitution replaceable for the warning conversation on submit.
    • warning_link
  • Option to force new conversation email to be sent on a warning conversation.
    • Will send even if they are banned!
    • Always sends full conversation text.
    • This can ignore conversation privacy options.

Read the rest of this update entry...

What I want todo at some stage, is create a 'shared conversation' option which allows all members of a group to see/reply to conversations in that user's inbox. With some controls on who can delete conversations to that user.

The idea would then be warning conversations are started/added into the shared user, and then all moderators can see it.

But I have no ETA on that addon.
I'm very glad you are working on this add-on, it is looking really good!

What about adding the title of the thread to the user alert? Would that be easier?

Alternatively, is there a way to make the warning note visible to the user? That way the moderator could type whatever message they want the user to see in that space without having to send a PM and the user could just view it as a part of the warning.

Thanks for the upgrade! Version should be 1.1.1?
Yes.

I'm not sure why I keep missing the version with this addon when posting updates :confused:

I'm very glad you are working on this add-on, it is looking really good!

What about adding the title of the thread to the user alert? Would that be easier?
This would be technically possible, and reasonably straight forward.

Alternatively, is there a way to make the warning note visible to the user? That way the moderator could type whatever message they want the user to see in that space without having to send a PM and the user could just view it as a part of the warning.
The warning note is designed to be visible to moderators only, I'ld prefer to add another field rather than re-define that that field is for.

What I could do, is make the warning conversation first message show up attached to the warning.

Last edited:
Yes.

I'm not sure why I keep missing the version with this addon when posting updates :confused:

This would be technically possible, and reasonably straight forward.

The warning note is designed to be visible to moderators only, I'ld prefer to add another field rather than re-define that that field is for.

What I could do, is make the warning conversation first message show up attached to the warning.

Awesome I look forward to it. Will the attached conversation be anonymous or could you create a separate field for entering a message to attach to the warning? Or, maybe make the reason or deleting or reason for warning viewable (third tab)?

Awesome I look forward to it. Will the attached conversation be anonymous or could you create a separate field for entering a message to attach to the warning? Or, maybe make the reason or deleting or reason for warning viewable (third tab)?
I will need todo some design work to figure out what works best, I've got some rough ideas but until it is released I can't say for sure.

Top Bottom