Warning Improvements by Xon

Warning Improvements by Xon 1.7.2

No permission to download
Users are being stuck in the restricted usergoup. And I hate this! And this is there like for years! Now who the hell is responsible for this problem? Xenforo? or this addon?

And how am I supposed to check thousands of user if they are stuck?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'ld need some more information on this. This add-on (and XF) works fine at removing users from groups imposed by warnings, barring the bug where if you issue an expired warning things get a little wonky.

Last edited:
  • Users are normally in the registered usergroup.
  • When issued a warning, they are demoted to restricted usergroup
  • When they do their time, they are promoted back to registered usergroup.
The problem is, sometimes they are stuck in this restricted usergroup forever. And this is happennig for years and more and more users are becoming like permanently banned from the forum!

And there is this thing: when I check a user with warning, the addon says that the warning will not expire:

upload_2017-5-15_10-53-29.webp

Yok=None.

This add-on just shows the warning action information. You may want to review how you are doing warnings to verify they aren't being permanently added.

On both my forums I haven't had this issue.

It seems that the Display Order keeps resetting randomly when making changes to a warning/category.
@Xon
This also happens to me.
I have two categories and even though I enter '5' and '10' for their display order values, they keep returning to '0'. Sometimes one of them just disappears from the list. I go and enter a display order different than '0' and it comes back, but if I click on it to edit it again, '0' is shown once again.
The same thing happens to the warnings themselves. Even though they don't disappear from the list, changing the display order is useless as they all return to '0'.

@Dennis B @Jaws12 please use the drop&drag to set display ordering rather than manually editing a category, it looks like manually setting the display order interacts poorly with drop & drag and how it syncs the list when you view it

Users are still being stuck in the restricted usergroup. If you could just add check and fix button, that would be perfect... Or maybe a cron job...

Xon updated Warning Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

1.5.10 - Minor feature update

• Criteria for warning count + include/exclude expired warnings, which can be date-range limited
    warning_criteria-png.156176

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
BUG: "Warn User Directly" Permission Bug.

Reproduce the following:
  • Board Admin being in a primary user group that is NOT "Registered" – with permission "Can Warn User Directly" set to "not set (no)" for that group.
  • Being in a secondary user group "Administrative" – with permission "Can Warn User Directly" set to "YES" for that group.
When clicking any "Warn" link for any user you receive the following error:
Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-28 um 09.50.43.webp
  • When I put the admin into the "Registered" [also with permission "Can Warn User Directly" set to "not set (no)"], it works again.

@Freelancer please configure permissions on the warning categories themselves.

From the add-on description:
This add-on expects all users able to issue warnings to be a member of the default Registered User's group. If this is not the case, you will not have permission to issue warnings until you:
  • Add every into the Registered Users group
or
  • Adjust the permissions in each Warning Category.

It is strongly recommended you keep everyone with the same 'primary group' and just vary the secondary groups to permit sane reasoning about permissions. Most people do, so

Last edited:
@Freelancer please configure permissions on the warning categories themselves). It is strongly recommended you keep everyone with the same 'primary group' and just vary the secondary groups to permit sane reasoning about permissions. Most people do, so

In my case I need to have another primary user group to distinguish between "normal" registered users and "club members". So that if you register there is an additional gap between registered and actual members. Otherwise the whole permission structure would be too complicated. Especially because XF lets have registered members have access to everything template wise and you need to make extra template modifications. User upgrades make this even more complicated. And why can you switch the primary user group anyway... it's insane... :p

But the tip with editing the warning categories did do the fix. That was very helpful. Thanks @Xon :)

Off topic, but what about the XF permissions structure makes it unworkable for you?

I don't follow the issue with templates, maybe that's a level of structure that I haven't considered.

As far as the permissions structure, if you don't grant any special permissions to the registered group, and then have 2 "primary secondary" groups that are mutually exclusive, and then sub-usergroup "trees" that from each of those that do not intersect (no one that is part of "normal" can be a members of "club sub group 1" for instance) then that would function, permissions wise, exactly the same as if you made the "primary secondary" groups different primary groups as you have.

Node access is easily controlled.

Our club has paid members, a leadership team, a sub-group of leadership for voting members, another sub-group for elected members, node permissions for revoking viewing or posting rights to various areas of the forum, etc. I agree with you that it can get complicated. This is the first instance where I have heard that hamstringing the XF permissions system can actually cause an addon to not work as intended.

My website (forums.sufficientvelocity.com) has 71 user groups;
  • Purely banner, that just exist to apply styling to an account
  • User groups for generic grants.
    • Some "big roles" like admin/moderator/helper/etc
  • Role-based groups exist to allow per-forum/category
    • Various forum/category bans
    • Revoking specific functionality for users
  • Subscriber groups (which add the functionality, banners are separate)
Then we have per-category/forum permissions for a number of user groups.

We've got a couple of staff who are professional Windows administrators and have experience with Active Directory and user/role groups. Really wish you could have user-groups inherit permissions from another user-group. Would make reasoning about permissions easier.

What about the XF system doesn't allow you to essentially do that (inherit)?
It is about what groups are actually assigned directly to the user.

In XF, you need to assign every group directly to the user.

In a system in group-based inheritance, you assign a few groups to the user and they automatically pickup membership of all the groups those groups are a member of.

This is a powerful UI tool to abstract away the complexity of layering groups together.

Top Bottom