1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to mass move members to a different group

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Mayers, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Mayers

Mayers Member

After importing from vBulletin I want to move a large number of members from user group 9 to user group 2. What query would I run to do this? Thanks

- Marc

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This should do it. Backup first.

Code:
    UPDATE xf_user
    SET user_group_id = 2
    WHERE user_group_id = 9

3. boatswife

boatswife Active Member

Thanks! Good one to remember.

It would be great, for a someone like me, to have useful queries in one thread!

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I hate to bump this thread being it's old, but would mass moving primary usergroups affect secondary usergroups?

5. Jake Bunce

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You really shouldn't be moving anyone out of the default primary usergroup which is Registered.

The system has been designed to be used that way.

http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I would rather not but I need to moderate new user's posts. The site is growing and along with growth comes more spammers and troublemakers. So now I need to moderate all new accounts. Any suggestions?

9. Brogan

Well you can install the add-on from Darkimmortal, or you can wait for 1.1 which has user group promotion.

Even then, all you need to do is change the settings for the registered group to be moderated, and have the promoted secondary group as the one which allows posting.

10. Jake Bunce

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I really want to wait for 1.1

What about selecting, enable email confirmation and enable manual approval in user registration options?

Would selecting both require a confirmation email and then admin confirmation? If so, that will work fine until 1.1 in my case.

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

13. Brogan

Yes it would.

That would certainly allow you to vet any new registrations before approving them.

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

In that case problem solved. Thank you both for your help.

15. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ok, one last problem. When manually approving an account, where/how can I see their IP address before confirming the account?

16. Brogan

On the front end, load the member page and the Spam Cleaner link is available on the profile.
    Click that and it will show the IP address.

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Oh OK, I didn't think the new account would have a profile yet. That works, thanks.