Walmart Credit Cards, you will need fraud protection from them.

EQnoble

Pretty straight forward here, if you order online from bestbuy with a walmart credit card over X amount it will 90% of time trigger a fraud alert. At that point bestbuy will cancel the order and you will have to call walmart credit card to unlock the account so you can log in to your page.

However on a recorded call I have walmart telling me that me unlocking my account is authorizing the charge to go through even though the merchant has internally canceled the order previous to the card being unlocked. They also told me that the only way for me to remove the charge immediately was to report my card physically stolen and close my account. I asked them how closing an account is going to do anything other than block my access to their site and got no answer.

They have now told me that I am responsible for a ridiculous amount of money for items that bestbuy confirms will never be shipped. No one from the wm card will tell me anything other than the charge was approved and that it is out of their hands.

Also directly out of their mouth and recorded (verbally disclosed) is that they don't trust bestbuy and will not reverse the charges without bestbuy sending them a fax on an official letterhead stating that the order was canceled ...

Conveniently bestbuy customer service reps/associates are not allowed to send out faxes. This I found out after 9 hours of time on the phone and 2 separate promises that the fax was being sent out "now" and curious while on the call which they lied the second time I asked them to repeat the direct managers fax number for WM that I gave them...the girl insisted I just repeat it and I told her straight up...if you don't have this number in your notes any sane person would not believe you guys did anything but lie to me.

After giving her the number again she hung up on me, this call lasted 56 six minutes before she hung up and the next person I got connected to covered for her saying the calls automatically terminate at 56 minutes which is funny because I spent 2 hours 30 minutes on the phone with them the day before to which the call ended pleasantly as they assured me they had sent that fax.

According to walmart they can not accept incoming email and both companies are unwilling to help. Ass-slappery should not be allowed and should be checked vigorously when stores are big enough to have their own branded credit cards.

If you are from or work in tandem with the fair credit reporting agency, the BBB or the federal trade commission and happen to be reading this...please put these criminals in your cross-hair and stop mistreatment of consumers and protect them from the various fraudulent and deceptive business practices of Walmart and Bestbuy.

A similar problem happened to me with Comcast and Citibank, the difference is Comcast acknowledged the problem (order form glitch causing multiple charges) right away and when I contacted citibank the charges were not just reversed, they were taken off the account like they never happened and they fixed their own stuff internally, they didn't try to blame me like walmart credit card did, nor did comcast lie to me like bestbuy did twice.

Think twice before shopping bestbuy or walmart and avoid them if you can. Based on what I have seen the people of walmart now work for walmart and they will bankrupt your children's future for the mere chance of higher returns.

/end rank

Walmart is just the brand... it's backed by the standard MasterCard agreement, with all the same purchase protection. If you have a fake charge, just dispute it. Bestbuy will have to prove they shipped something to you and when they can't you won't be liable.

Dealing with entry level CSR is a waste of time.

I think you missed the part where I said I have on a recorded call that a rep says "We are walmart, we don't trust bestbuy". To get to the card management page you either have to go to www.walmartstorecard.com/ or literally go to walmart.com and click a link (otherwise the login fails). You can not access this in any other way other than going through them. They identify themselves as "walmart" when they service you over the phone. As far as I am concerned from a consumer POV, it is a walmart CC.

They also said the only way for me to dispute the charge was to 'report your card stolen and close the account', the rep then said 'we can be sure to get you a new account number later'. I told them I would decline to do that because I have already told them I ordered it and their fraud protection canceled the order.

I do understand that entry level CSR generally is more stressful than helpful but in this case, bestbuy's 1st tier CSR got me my ref #'s and confirmation of cancellation of the order and they didn't take too long to do it.

In the span of what totals about 10 hours right now, out of the 11 people I spoke to at walmart CC 4 were managers or senior personnel withing the fraud department and I got three distinctly different reasoning's as to why I owe this money and no proof they could send me in writing, when I finally got a manager willing to accept the fax time they required me to get to drop this charge a second time (best buy corporate letter head, all account and invoice info and confirmed cancellation) at his personal fax (fax-> email with no direct inbound mail access) he said he would only wait 4 minutes for the fax as he can't absorb all his time on this one call.

At 4 minutes on the call with him he said "at this point I have waited for you for 4 minutes and need to end this call, I wish you the best". Again this was the same manager who while we waited for this fax said we don't trust bestbuy that this order was cancelled.

I understand what they said... I'm just saying they are in a regulated industry and MasterCard rules trump theirs.

Based on this story, they seem like a really bad CC company. Why not take them up on the offer to cancel your card and get a better rated one on Bankrate?

Edit:
Is it possible the TEMP HOLD charge from Bestbuy just hasn't expired? It can take 2-3 days.

And you do that at their site, not mastercard and on the phone they told me to dispute this charge after what they say was me authorizing it through their fraud department who unlocked my account I would need to close the account which I am paperless with and manage online and don't want to risk them cutting me out of the site and screwing with my credit since they seem so haphazard already.

I only used them because expanding my credit was needed to get a new place to live, more cards = more good updates to the credit reporting bureaus = better credit score and this has worked for me since I started rebuilding my credit after someone decided to have a fun day and destroyed it on me (it was so bad I didn't have a score after).

Now years later sitting above a 700 score at the worst (effectively 780 when I pay everything off) I am not keen on risking another technical glitch that this time permaforks my credit score which currently has 0 negative marks.

I already had all of the good cards and I normally charge anything I would pay for in cash and just pay the bill. Free credit boost if you know how to calculate rotating credit limits and their effect to your credit score.

The issue I am having is I can't get a straight answer as to where this money is and how it will be fixed and a definitive time window. I have been told by walmart that I should check every 20 minutes to see if the charge has been reversed, another said every couple days, one even told me check back towards the end of the month.

How can a financial institution hold my credit hostage and not tell me when it will be fixed? It just doesn't seem legal, it almost seems like...well, fraud.

They are indeed a horrible company and once I can pay the actual owed amount down I will close the account and get written confirmation of it being closed.

In the meantime my credit score is being held hostage as I still need to buy what I needed for my new home which I move into this week and can't afford to make that large of a purchase twice so the first can wade it out in limbo.

On another note bankrate looks alright (never used it before) but as I said I don't need to open a new card and have most of the good ones on that list (concerning services and customer relations) in fact in 9 more months I can close most of them (my earliest cards) which I just can't do at the moment because dropping large swathes of available credit effects your credit score and throws other percentages off.

In anticipation of that day when I can drop some of these credit devices I have already been working with 2 card providers who will increase my spending limit based on reports of other cards being closed. It's a matter of which can give me the best offer.

We've never had issues like that with Walmart. However, it sounds like you're solely talking about online Walmart shopping, so I can't really comment there.

No I was shopping online at bestbuy with a walmart credit card. Bestbuy confirms the order was canceled...walmart says payment has been sent.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Then I really have nothing of value as we don't have a Walmart credit card. We just use the typical debit and credit cards from our banks.

Edit:
Is it possible the TEMP HOLD charge from Bestbuy just hasn't expired? It can take 2-3 days.
Nah because the order was canceled after being declined three times, the walmart credit card approved the payment later and are saying they can't remove it without bestbuy faxing them a doc with a corporate letterhead stating that the order has been canceled and that I don't owe them anything.

They have been faxed twice now (as they asked) and still are giving me the run around. I have to think that if it was a matter of a couple days that they would just tell me that when I said "can I just get a straight answer on where the money went and what kind of timeline am I looking at for this to be fixed". I'm sure that in 9 and a half hours of being on the phone or hold that if it was as simple as a temp holding period then someone would have just said that to me by now.

I hope you are able to get all of this resolved. I know it can be a hassle. I hate Walmart with a passion but I view them as a necessary evil cause there are not many places you can do as much under one roof as you can with Walmart but that still doesn't mean I like them or like going to them. Again I hope you finally get all of this resolved and it doesn't take another 9+ hours on the phone.

I hope you are able to get all of this resolved. I know it can be a hassle. I hate Walmart with a passion but I view them as a necessary evil cause there are not many places you can do as much under one roof as you can with Walmart but that still doesn't mean I like them or like going to them. Again I hope you finally get all of this resolved and it doesn't take another 9+ hours on the phone.
Thanks. Turns out that it is not just walmart, bestbuy has been lying to me and I even had to call their own fraud department to play back segments of the recorded calls. I even had to explain to the fraud department why lying about the state of my bills/money is fraud.

The last time I called, a woman when confronted with the lies and conflicting notes and stories from various agents acted like she couldn't hear me...she started saying that because we have lost contact she will need to end the call and I cut her off loud enough to disrupt her speaking and she indeed stopped talking for a second when I got loud proving that she could hear me.

Basically neither of these companies really give a damn and they are playing one off against the other at my expense.

At this point I am supposedly getting somewhere but it took 13 hours of phone calls and I am basically telling bestbuys own fraud department on the grounds that their own employees are lying to me having to do with my credit devices to the end of messing with my credit score and costing me time and now that the fraud department understands that I have announced I am recording every phone call and they seem like they want to help me know now that I linked them to my next stop where I will play the recordings again for someone who gets paid to give a flying fox.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

Chain stores suck and have changed the market landscape to the point that now they are the only ones who can survive in a general sense and now that they know this they think they can create new business practices that violate the spirit of honest trade which everyone else must adhere to.

I have announced I am recording every phone call and they seem like they want to help me know now that I linked them to my next stop where I will play the recordings again for someone who gets paid to give a flying fox.
Make sure that with every phone call you record there is a warning on the beginning of them that you are recording the conversation.

I have been letting them know on every call that I am and I quote "also recording this call for quality, training and personal security". That part is also recorded at the beginning of the call.

I have that one actually, it was the second card I got when I started rebuilding my credit. They gave me a rate that was just under half of what the first card was when first trying to rebuilt a good score.

Top Bottom