VPS sizing

WoodiE

I'm looking to move a forum that averages around 400 new posts a day and user activity that's around 80 users and 100-200 guests online at any given time from a shared hosting environment to a VPS setup.

This will be the only site on the new VPS. Would a 2vCPU / 4GB RAM VPS suffice or do really need to look at using 8GB or more plans?

That would be a good starting point, yes. VPSs generally can be easily resized so there's no harm in starting on the smaller side since you can quickly grow it if needed.

I'd recommend that you start with a 4GB plan and as @JonathanW says, expand if needed to an 8GB plan.

Linode allows you to easily and seamlessly upsize and downsize your plan as needed. Also to use and attach up to 8 block storage volumes directly to your Linode if you need cheap but performant storage space to take the load off of the system disk (which for their $20/month 4GB plan is 80GB, and 160GB for the $40/month 8GB plan. Block storage is $0.10 per GB per month. Linode support is excellent and they have data centers around the country and world.

Looks like their prices are about the same as Linode, but they are touting higher performance than competitors.

Looks like their prices are about the same as Linode, but they are touting higher performance than competitors.

Indeed. The 4 big ones all offer the same pricing but vary in performance. I find the following order to be correct:

4: DigitalOcean
3: Linode
2: UpCloud
1: Vultr

I believe it would be difficult to go wrong with any of those companies, though I only have direct experience with one of them.

Top Bottom