Vivaldi - New browser from ex Opera Developers

Forsaken

Vivaldi is a new browser that was announced a few days ago that is developed by the ex CEO of Opera. It already includes a lot of the features that Opera 12 had such as tab stacking (for grouping tabs together), tab location options (can show them on the left, right, top or bottom or not at all for keyboard only navigation), integrated notes, and speed dials (with folders to group sites separately).

For a technical preview, it's light years ahead of what Opera shipped with Opera 15 (and has a lot of the features that people have been demanding with the latest Opera Developer). I'm not that fond of the interface, but because it's done entirely with Javascript and HTML5 it'll be easy enough to change if needed. Once they add extensions, hopefully with Chrome/Opera extension support, I'll be moving to it as my primary browser.

Vivaldi is a new browser that was announced a few days ago that is developed by the ex CEO of Opera. It already includes a lot of the features that Opera 12 had such as tab stacking (for grouping tabs together), tab location options (can show them on the left, right, top or bottom or not at all for keyboard only navigation), integrated notes, and speed dials (with folders to group sites separately).

For a technical preview, it's light years ahead of what Opera shipped with Opera 15 (and has a lot of the features that people have been demanding with the latest Opera Developer). I'm not that fond of the interface, but because it's done entirely with Javascript and HTML5 it'll be easy enough to change if needed. Once they add extensions, hopefully with Chrome/Opera extension support, I'll be moving to it as my primary browser.

Interesting, was not aware of this. Thank you for putting it, must check it out.

Installed, tested.

Its just yet another UI for Chromium, not a new browser.
Those ex Opera developers have fallen.

Installed, tested.

I thought they weren't going to use Chromium.

Edit: Thats what a quick google search reveals but after further investigation, it seems that it does indeed.

I thought they weren't going to use Chromium.
They are.

Not only user agent string is from Chrome with added "Vivaldi/random_number", but its identical in every way. In some of my styles I have issues with different font handling and line height handling in Chrome than in other browsers. Checked those pages in Vivaldi - it has same issues as Chrome. They even didn't modify developer tools UI - its exactly as in Chrome. So its a Chrome.

They are.

Not only user agent string is from Chrome with added "Vivaldi/random_number", but its identical in every way. In some of my styles I have issues with different font handling and line height handling in Chrome than in other browsers. Checked those pages in Vivaldi - it has same issues as Chrome. They even didn't modify developer tools UI - its exactly as in Chrome. So its a Chrome.

Never did understand the point of using Chromium for a browser when Chrome exists.

Installed, tested.

As I said, most browsers are based off Chrome now.

The biggest difference between Opera, Vivaldi and Chrome is the features they're going to add and how they do it. Also given how little traction the Presto engine got, there's little point in developing one when most people will only support the Gecko, Webkit/Blink, and perhaps IE/Spartan engines.

A lot of people who are convinced Google's going to kill them go for Chromium as it's the same browser, but without the sync option.
They then still use the sync feature, or a sync add-on :rolleyes:.

Seriously though, most people I know just use Chrome based browsers for features. It's also why many browsers are Chrome based; they can focus on differentiating themselves with features, rather than doing all of the work on the rendering engine.

What's wrong with Presto?
It's been discontinued for 2 years, and is based on a codebase over 12 years old.

vs Blink which is way, WAY more stable, has all the Webkit stable code in it, and has a hell of a lot more people working on it.

You'd have to be a pretty backwards developer to pick Presto.

To give you an idea, here's the stats of contributors to WebKit prior to Google forking it: http://hypercritical.co/2013/04/12/code-hard-or-go-home

After years and years of waiting, Vivaldi has added the ability to tab stack pinned tabs... Now I just need the ability to color groups, and I'll have an actual replacement for Opera 🥲.

Top Bottom