1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vivaldi - New browser from ex Opera Developers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Forsaken, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Vivaldi is a new browser that was announced a few days ago that is developed by the ex CEO of Opera. It already includes a lot of the features that Opera 12 had such as tab stacking (for grouping tabs together), tab location options (can show them on the left, right, top or bottom or not at all for keyboard only navigation), integrated notes, and speed dials (with folders to group sites separately).

For a technical preview, it's light years ahead of what Opera shipped with Opera 15 (and has a lot of the features that people have been demanding with the latest Opera Developer). I'm not that fond of the interface, but because it's done entirely with Javascript and HTML5 it'll be easy enough to change if needed. Once they add extensions, hopefully with Chrome/Opera extension support, I'll be moving to it as my primary browser.

turtile likes this.
  2. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Interesting, was not aware of this. Thank you for putting it, must check it out.

3. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

Installed, tested.

Its just yet another UI for Chromium, not a new browser.
    Those ex Opera developers have fallen.

Andrej likes this.
  4. The Dark Wizard

I thought they weren't going to use Chromium.

Edit: Thats what a quick google search reveals but after further investigation, it seems that it does indeed.

5. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

They are.

Not only user agent string is from Chrome with added "Vivaldi/random_number", but its identical in every way. In some of my styles I have issues with different font handling and line height handling in Chrome than in other browsers. Checked those pages in Vivaldi - it has same issues as Chrome. They even didn't modify developer tools UI - its exactly as in Chrome. So its a Chrome.

6. The Dark Wizard

Never did understand the point of using Chromium for a browser when Chrome exists.

7. Forsaken

As I said, most browsers are based off Chrome now.

The biggest difference between Opera, Vivaldi and Chrome is the features they're going to add and how they do it. Also given how little traction the Presto engine got, there's little point in developing one when most people will only support the Gecko, Webkit/Blink, and perhaps IE/Spartan engines.

8. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

A lot of people who are convinced Google's going to kill them go for Chromium as it's the same browser, but without the sync option.

9. Forsaken

They then still use the sync feature, or a sync add-on :rolleyes:.

Seriously though, most people I know just use Chrome based browsers for features. It's also why many browsers are Chrome based; they can focus on differentiating themselves with features, rather than doing all of the work on the rendering engine.

10. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

What's wrong with Presto?

11. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Not available for former employees to start browsers from? From a development standpoint it would cost more than it is worth to maintain if all you really aim is to serve up a unique front end.

12. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

It's been discontinued for 2 years, and is based on a codebase over 12 years old.

vs Blink which is way, WAY more stable, has all the Webkit stable code in it, and has a hell of a lot more people working on it.

You'd have to be a pretty backwards developer to pick Presto.

To give you an idea, here's the stats of contributors to WebKit prior to Google forking it: http://hypercritical.co/2013/04/12/code-hard-or-go-home