Virginmedia connection cutting out.

Luckly there is none of that happening in the UK, a router is given away free of charge to drive more customers! The biggest problem here is both BT and Virgin are now releasing Hubs (BT Home Hub, Virgin Super Hub) which are combined router & modem and cases major issues if you want to use your own router or when the hub they sends keeps dropping your connection and they refuse to replace it!

VM sent me out a HomeHub when I renewed my services.

After spending ages phoning up to get it activated, I found out afterwards that it was really poor compared to the old blue VM modem and my Linksys router. It kept dropping connection and the signal strength compared to my previous set up was very bad.

I then had to spend ages phoning up again to get the HomeHub deactivated and my old blue VM modem re-activated.

I just hope and pray that the 6 year old blue VM modem keeps working as I doubt they send them out anymore!

I then had to spend ages phoning up again to get the HomeHub deactivated and my old blue VM modem re-activated.

I just hope and pray that the 6 year old blue VM modem keeps working as I doubt they send them out anymore!

I tried to do this and they actually wouldn't swap me back I was arguing for ages and got no where so frustrating!

BT Infinity consists of a seperate router and modem. The Terms of Service state you can replace the router but not the modem as they deem that the end of the demarcation point. I have had BT Infinity for several months and have not experienced any form of outage. The only thing I did do was replace the router.

The BT Home Hub is the hardware they supply for their ADSL service?

Ahhh that is good news, I hadn't looked into Infinity all too much as it is up to 40Mbs currently I am using Virgins 100Mbs.

Ahhh that is good news, I hadn't looked into Infinity all too much as it is up to 40Mbs currently I am using Virgins 100Mbs.

There is talk of them enabling it for 80Mbs down next year with a simple change in the cabinet. The modems support upto 100Mbs.

There is talk of them enabling it for 80Mbs down next year with a simple change in the cabinet. The modems support upto 100Mbs.

May take another look at it when this is possible! Currently with 100Mbs Down and 10Mbs Up I am a very happy downloader

I can assure you they don't always give their modem/routers away for free. I was made to pay £60 for mine after i mentioned that my previous modem with separate router sometimes lost connection and would never stream during the day due to a bad connection (i figured it must have been the modem/router. In my case the guy said if i upgraded to they're 30mb package from my 10mb package I would be entitled to get it free of charge.

With that said, I phoned virginmedia support on monday and the modem/router hub they sent (the one i paid for) the power levels on it are too high. I asked would this be the cause of the connection dropping which he replied yes. He did go onto say that the connection is still fine, there's no issues with that just that the hub they sent the power levels are too high and will be sending out a replacement.

I can assure you they don't always give their modem/routers away for free. I was made to pay £60 for mine after i mentioned that my previous modem with separate router sometimes lost connection. In my case the guy said if i upgraded to they're 30mb package from my 10mb package I would be entitled to get it free of charge.

With that said, I phoned virginmedia support on monday and the modem/router hub they sent (the one i paid for) the power levels on it are too high. I asked would this be the cause of the connection dropping which he replied yes. He did go onto say that the connection is still fine, there's no issues with that just that the hub they sent the power levels are too high and will be sending out a replacement.

Strange the power levels the modem reads are normally just readings of the power it is receiving from the connection... When I first moved into this house all my devices (TV, modem etc) had intermittent problems that was put down the the power levels on the line they then fitted a normalizer (or was it an alternator) on the main cable coming into the house and since no problems

Strange the power levels the modem reads are normally just readings of the power it is receiving from the connection... When I first moved into this house all my devices (TV, modem etc) had intermittent problems that was put down the the power levels on the line they then fitted a normalizer (or was it an alternator) on the main cable coming into the house and since no problems

This is what I personally think is the problem but the support guy said that the router was the issue. I have a bad feeling that once the new modem/router arrives that I'll be plagued with the same re-occurring issues. I'm not fully knowledgeable how it all works on the tech side so I'm just guessing and hopeful the issues i'm getting are resolved when the modem arrives.

Top Bottom