Vimeo or YouTube for Have You Seen...?

Which Video Host for HYS?

• Vimeo

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • YouTube

Votes: 47 70.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's true that there is re-encode on vimeo too but the biggest difference is the bitrate which is far greater on vimeo : 20Mbs vs 6Mbs (YT) on a 1080p video. Even if the video on Vimeo was on 720p which is the case if you don't have a premium account, the quality would still be better :) That's the reason why I would like XenForo to continue with Vimeo.

I've just noticed the 1080p option at Vimeo, so I'm giving it a go (it's compressing right now). However, given that my display has 1200 vertical pixels, 1080p is still going to be resampling the image a bit, so we'll have to see how it turns out.

My vote is for Vimeo... Youtube is too common and I think that Vimeo looks more professional for what you're doing. My 2 cents.

I've just noticed the 1080p option at Vimeo, so I'm giving it a go (it's compressing right now). However, given that my display has 1200 vertical pixels, 1080p is still going to be resampling the image a bit, so we'll have to see how it turns out.
Now are equally clear for me.

Youtube has started blocking users that do not have a youtube app installed. So youtube video will no longer show in mobile browsers if the user doesnt have the app.

Youtube has started blocking users that do not have a youtube app installed. So youtube video will no longer show in mobile browsers if the user doesnt have the app.
It's not doing this for me here on XenForo or on my site.

Youtube...but I like vimeo too and switch it up once in a while. sometimes all the annotations and super long descriptions on youtube are the most annoying thing in the world and totally ruin the viewing experience.

what. the. F....that's as bad as facebook making you download a separate app just to message people, when the one in their current app worked fine.

I'd also have to say YT. At full screen, high res, the initial load has things slightly blurry but a few seconds in an it cleans up to HD quality. Small trade off I'd say.

I'd also have to say YT. At full screen, high res, the initial load has things slightly blurry but a few seconds in an it cleans up to HD quality. Small trade off I'd say.

That's because it's on 480p at the time. When you enter full screen, it will automatically change to the highest HD option available after a few seconds.

Reactions: Rob
It's not doing this for me here on XenForo or on my site.
You are correct. The change only seems to apply to in-app videos and on mobile versions of news sites. Not on XF. I wrongly assumed that it applied to all websites.

in the past i would have welcomed a change to youtube, as vimeo would often fail to load and whatnot. but vimeo seems to have pulled up their socks, so thats not really an issue any more.
youtube on the other hand... i have pretty much divorced myself from the google ecosystem since the whole g+ debacle. im not so sure xenforo should be looking to put themselves at googles mercy anymore than they have to.

tldr: +vimeo

Just want to add my point of view on this topic ... and it's a bit different to the others.

When it comes to technical videos (tutorials, webinars, reviews, ...) and music/concert videos I always use Youtube first.
Vimeo is a great platform (for me) to see nice video/movie projects and indie art projects' videos.

So I'm not distinguishing by technical aspects. If you (Xenforo) ever produced a nice, creative, entertaining, "cinematic" promo video about your company and/or daily work, I would expect this to be available on Vimeo. When it's just feature demos (screen recordings), I would expect them to be available on Youtube.

Top Bottom