XF 2.0 Viewing Forum as Threads Only?

cvoeltner

Hi there!

I've been a customer of Xenforo for a really long time, and I recently signed up a license for my church to start using this for an online bulletin board system.

I wanted to ask how I could set up our forums so that when you go to our homepage: bb.kindredchurch.org, it just shows up with a list of threads. I have an example (on discourse) available to be viewed here: bb.saddleback.com -- notice how it's just the latest threads rather than a forum/node that you have to click on?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

There’s an option that will set the forums home page to show the newest unread threads rather than the list of forums - you can set it with the forums default page option in the main options section of the admin control panel.

There’s an option that will set the forums home page to show the newest unread threads rather than the list of forums - you can set it with the forums default page option in the main options section of the admin control panel.

Thanks for this. I went to the Basic Board Settings and chose:
Forums default page: "New Posts"
Root breadcrumb: "None"

Is that what I need to do? I went to my bb.kindredchurch.org forum page and it shows the threads only (after logging in and telling it to not just show unread only), but now it has some weird text:
originalFindNewId = 0, findNewId = 9

Can I get that removed or hide that??

cvoeltner,

Are you using "New posts" as your home page? When user is logged in the main widget has a filter that by default set to "Unread threads". So if he clicks "Mark forums read" the widget will be empty. And it is not good for the main page.

Or do you have a custom set of widgets to show there?

Thank you,

Speculation since we're still running 1.5... Can you set your home page url to point directly into the forum you want them to see instead to the actual top of the forum that shows the available sub-forums? Something like:
Code:
https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-questions-and-support.25/
Gazum's post seems to be right on. If there are no unread threads, I doubt that the user would see anything. And they might not be able to re-read a post if they want to confirm the details about something they've already read.

It sounds like that's what he wants... A simple simulated one-page online corkboard, not a fully functional forum system.
Maybe many of his users aren't computer literate, and the simplest possible solution would let them use it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Yes, I was able to get this working. I did adjust the admin settings for the basic settings of the forum to show the list of threads.
Check it out: bb.kindredchurch.org

Top Bottom