VibrantEnvy - XenForo Style Review

GCSkye

This is still in the design stages so any feedback now may be incorporated into the finial design.

The sidebar is just a screencap of the default. The colors of the font will be changing and I am thinking of having a background design for it that flows with the template.

The theme itself has a garden/green feel with the leave post icons. I don't plan on having any other part of the template relating to this, so people can simply change the post icons and have the site matching their needs.

Skin will be available in both Fluid and Fixed (950px).

Anyways, Garden Envy:
http://sleekvb.net/img/firstlook/gardenenvy.png

Attachments

• Garden-Envy---Footer.webp
    Garden-Envy---Footer.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 192
I like it a lot, the one comment I have, is that it is maybe just a bit too much white, it just feels bright to me, maybe tone it down just a hair with a light grey?

Looks great though.

I like it a lot, the one comment I have, is that it is maybe just a bit too much white, it just feels bright to me, maybe tone it down just a hair with a light grey?

Looks great though.

Hey bamua,

Thanks for the reply. There are still a few things left to be done, such as the sidebar and the latest posts inside the forum block. This should add a darker feel to the template. If not, I'll be looking forward to your reply. :)

It's nice. I didn't even realize it was XP.
Maybe add a light gray border to the forum?
Hate to say this, but the avatar takes away from the rest of the page.

I like it too ..
just the deafult xenforo blue seems out of place :) I think you should go with a light shade of gray for that

I like it a lot. I would probably change the color of the sidebar to something that matches the rest of the theme.
I like it too ..
just the deafult xenforo blue seems out of place :) I think you should go with a light shade of gray for that

Hey sorry for the confusion. I did state in my rant about the sidebar. Afraid being torpid got the best of me on this one.
"The sidebar is just a screencap of the default. The colors of the font will be changing and I am thinking of having a background design for it that flows with the template."

Edit: Going to throw something together now.

It's nice. I didn't even realize it was XP.
Maybe add a light gray border to the forum?
Hate to say this, but the avatar takes away from the rest of the page.

Hey steven s,

Now you're just hating on the avatar :D
I was debating whether or not I should keep the default border. It will be consider when in coding to determine if it fits the skin.

Hey sorry for the confusion. I did state in my rant about the sidebar. Afraid being torpid got the best of me on this one.
"The sidebar is just a screencap of the default. The colors of the font will be changing and I am thinking of having a background design for it that flows with the template."
Whoops, my bad for not reading that...

Looks great... one major complaint though...

I myself used to have a skin where the main links were in the top right corner, but my users hated it. They find that main links in the top right corner does not fit standard viewing usage. Most people see the top right corner as extraneous information; they don't normally expect to find navigation there. They found the skin confusing.

Looks great... one major complaint though...

I myself used to have a skin where the main links were in the top right corner, but my users hated it. They find that main links in the top right corner does not fit standard viewing usage. Most people see the top right corner as extraneous information; they don't normally expect to find navigation there. They found the skin confusing.

Hey Jaxel,

This is great feedback, and after looking at the template, I must say I agree with you. For a moderate user, I don't think the nav location would be something that would bother someone. However, straining your eyes so far away from the content constantly could be seen as a bother.

Thou the template will lose some what of a unique edge, I have altered it slightly. The nav location has been moved to the default area, but with a unique look. I have also added a background to the search and would like to hear some thoughts on this.

http://sleekvb.net/img/firstlook/re-gardenenvy.png

Note: Sidebar hasn't been touched, it's still a screenshot of the default XenForo.

Attachments

• re-gardenenvy.webp
    re-gardenenvy.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 70
Another vote against the white, tends to put people off with no 20/20 vision. Also why no extended use of green? - assume the site is about gardening but may be missing the point.

Another vote against the white, tends to put people off with no 20/20 vision. Also why no extended use of green? - assume the site is about gardening but may be missing the point.
Agreed, and if you're worried about no one using it who isn't running a gardening/plant forum, I don't think green elements elsewhere that isn't related to leaves would put them off.

Hey Jethro,

Sadly not everyone can be pleased. As a designer, I am sure you know what I mean. While the template is on the lighter side, some seem to fancy this.

Agreed, and if you're worried about no one using it who isn't running a gardening/plant forum, I don't think green elements elsewhere that isn't related to leaves would put them off.

Hey Trombones13,

The original idea was to have it more of a plant theme, but as I started designing, it was lost in translation. The name Garden Envy could push potential users with limited imagination away. Maybe something like Vibrant, Vibrant Scheme, or Natural Light? I was never the best with names.

While the skin is close to being done, a little more green will be incorporated. It adds a nice feeling to the whole thing.

The name Garden Envy could push potential users with limited imagination away. Maybe something like Vibrant, Vibrant Scheme, or Natural Light? I was never the best with names.
Yeah; you could always refer to it as Garden Envy on your site and release it as something that is less...niche-oriented, I guess.

Top Bottom