VibrantEnvy - XenForo Style Review

Hey Kurt ... what GCSkye is working on is exactly what I had in mind :) remember !!? :D

Feel free to throw out anything you would like to see done on the template :)

Here is a quick look of how the statistics is currently looking, as of right now it is lacking CSS but has the basic structure of what I would like it to be:
vibrantenvy-stats.png

Yourboardname* Information

I can't stand how you have put the statistics down the bottom... It reminds me immediately of VB. A really nice looking skin, though that one issue alone I would refuse to use it because it is starting to replicate VB layout with the statistics.

Although I like the forum stats and members online in the sidebar, I do think that giving the option of a skin without them there would be good for sites that may want to run without a sidebar at all.

So the forum stats and members online at the bottom aren't my cup of tea, I can see how it would be useful to some.

Jamie

Although I like the forum stats and members online in the sidebar, I do think that giving the option of a skin without them there would be good for sites that may want to run without a sidebar at all.

So the forum stats and members online at the bottom aren't my cup of tea, I can see how it would be useful to some.

Jamie

I'm actually planning on running the stats down at the bottom of the forums.

I can't stand how you have put the statistics down the bottom... It reminds me immediately of VB. A really nice looking skin, though that one issue alone I would refuse to use it because it is starting to replicate VB layout with the statistics.

Hey Anthony,

I would not go so far as to classify it as vB since IPB, PHPBB, and many others forums use this same method of statistics. This is in no way an attempt to replicate anything vB related, only reach the interests of others. There are those that would like to see something done outside of the default XenForo theme; and I can assure you, thou complicated, I am out to please everyone. :) Read on.

Jamie

Hey Jamie,

Open mind set is key. To be honest, I realize there are some that are very fond of the sidebar and its layout. They don't want to see it change, while as you mentioned, others would like this. Restoring the sidebar is as simple as reverting 2 templates. This will not effect anything else and I plan on supplying step by step directions on how to do this. Those that would like to see that stats on the bottom can do so, while others can choose to have the sidebar.

Future skins will be expanding on the forum statistics, making it more and more unique, along with other unique factors. This is only the beginning.

However, be assured, I am not against the XenForo layout and it's default look. All changes are made to please others, and fans of the XenForo look will not be dismissed from this.

Just in case any other designers or template-modification people think this is some kind of a consensus, I didn't hate the vB layout - my issue was with the company.

I miss having who's-online at the top - that was the first modification request when we switched to vB. I don't like sidebars at all. I prefer dropdown lists to tabs, especially for a small board where people don't really need the search, watch, and mark-read links in their face at all times - they'd much rather see who's-online in that space. Stats at the bottom was fine by me. And most of all I miss the table layout because I could work with that - I'm at the mercy of template-modders now, which is why I'm even mentioning this at all.

And I'm sure there are other things that other people would prefer to the current layout, but they don't want to seem disloyal to XF so they don't mention it.

Hey Anthony,

I would not go so far as to classify it as vB since IPB, PHPBB, and many others forums use this same method of statistics. This is in no way an attempt to replicate anything vB related, only reach the interests of others.
Hey Mate,

Yep... totally get that, and obviously respect each to their own... but here is my point about it looking near identical to VB default:

PHPBB Default

phpbb.webp

IPB Default

ipb.webp

Xenforo Default

xenforo.webp

Vbulletin Default

vbulletin.webp

This Style

vibrantenvy-stats.png

This is only me, with a sour taste in my mouth from all the nonsense VB has done, hence why I am here... then seeing it, I immediately seen the resemblance to VB's design, and my first thought was as stated previously. The design can be marvellous, but the immediate resemblance to me was VB... so my immediate response is that I personally wouldn't use it based on that resemblance.

Please... certainly no offence to your work, as the design is great... I just don't personally like that part. As you state though, it can easily be reverted to the sidebar, which is an excellent aspect to incorporate in your install package. Nice touch on that by the way.

Just in case any other designers or template-modification people think this is some kind of a consensus, I didn't hate the vB layout - my issue was with the company.

I miss having who's-online at the top - that was the first modification request when we switched to vB. I don't like sidebars at all. I prefer dropdown lists to tabs, especially for a small board where people don't really need the search, watch, and mark-read links in their face at all times - they'd much rather see who's-online in that space. Stats at the bottom was fine by me. And most of all I miss the table layout because I could work with that - I'm at the mercy of template-modders now, which is why I'm even mentioning this at all.

And I'm sure there are other things that other people would prefer to the current layout, but they don't want to seem disloyal to XF so they don't mention it.

Hey Anotheralias,

At this point I feel pretty comfortable modifying XenForo. If you have any requests; Template Color, Scheme, Layout. Share it. You dream it, I'll code it. :)

Hey Mate,

Yep... totally get that, and obviously respect each to their own... but here is my point about it looking near identical to VB default:

[Removed images to spare quote length]

This is only me, with a sour taste in my mouth from all the nonsense VB has done, hence why I am here... then seeing it, I immediately seen the resemblance to VB's design, and my first thought was as stated previously. The design can be marvellous, but the immediate resemblance to me was VB... so my immediate response is that I personally wouldn't use it based on that resemblance.

Please... certainly no offence to your work, as the design is great... I just don't personally like that part. As you state though, it can easily be reverted to the sidebar, which is an excellent aspect to incorporate in your install package. Nice touch on that by the way.

Hey Anthony,

You left out the image of vB3 ^ ^ which, yes it closely replicates. If you look at the layout you will see all I did was have everything sit on the same line from the default XenForo. The line underneath is from the default CSS in the sidebar. From there I merely added an image to the sides. Food for thought :)

Also, I took no offense from your post. Everyone has their own opinions and I am glad to hear yours. That is why I post a display. In fact, the footer stat comments has made me realize a revert should be available. For that I thank you.

Anyways :) As we all know, IE 8 and below is terrible and not up to date with the CSS and HTML trends. When it comes to viewing XenForo, it is not the prettiest. The template has a few fixes for IE users alone, and one of the most notable is the "best viewed in" code.

Vibrant Envy - IE.webp

The above is a screenshot from the coded template. This only displays in IE 8 and below. Open to feedback on this and anything else people would like to see on or come from the template :)

Im really loving this style. I kind of like the statistics at the bottom simply for familiarity. I might just take a bit of shock value away from established forums porting over from other software. That and i can burn up real estate on a sidebar in a hurry.

Vibrant Envy - Forum Footer Links.webp

For you sir :)

This only effects the forum tab. The links were removed from under it and placed under the bottom forum, above statistics. Once again, this will be as simple as reverting two templates (unrelated to the statistic template) to restore.

Im really loving this style. I kind of like the statistics at the bottom simply for familiarity. I might just take a bit of shock value away from established forums porting over from other software. That and i can burn up real estate on a sidebar in a hurry.
Vibrant Envy - Sidebar.webp

Hey Von,

As of right now, you have room to burn. I have a few ideas for the whitespace; one of them has to do with a fancy ad banner, but that is at the bottom of the list. I really want to have this space open for people to fill up their sidebar with things they want. The default stuff can take up a lot of space, I am aware.

However, as stated before, restoring the template will be as easy as restoring two templates.

For you...

Wow that is so generous of you, thank you so much!

GCSkye said:
At this point I feel pretty comfortable modifying XenForo. If you have any requests; Template Color, Scheme, Layout. Share it. You dream it, I'll code it. :)

I will gratefully take you up on that, but I'll be careful to save the requests for things that are truly driving me nuts. As opposed to bugging you on a daily basis. :)

Wow that is so generous of you, thank you so much!

I will gratefully take you up on that, but I'll be careful to save the requests for things that are truly driving me nuts. As opposed to bugging you on a daily basis. :)

Hey Anotheralias,

I've been around long enough to understand the smallest and constant requests. All of them are important. It's your skin and it's your forum, it should look the way you like. I'd be happy to fulfill these, from the smallest to the ones causing you to rip your hair out :)

I like it. Nice to see what people are doing with this.

Thanks melbo.

Check out the new live demo:
Vibrant Envy [Fluid]
Vibrant Envy [Fixed]

Release will be later tonight. Feel free to share any comments or feed back

Hey Anotheralias,

I've been around long enough to understand the smallest and constant requests. All of them are important. It's your skin and it's your forum, it should look the way you like. I'd be happy to fulfill these, from the smallest to the ones causing you to rip your hair out :)

Still, I will try not to make you regret that statement. :D

Hey Anotheralias,

Thanks melbo.

Check out the new live demo:
Vibrant Envy [Fluid]
Vibrant Envy [Fixed]

Release will be later tonight. Feel free to share any comments or feed back

Looks very nice. The right bottom corner on the logo seems to have an extra gray area.

Hey Jethro,

Sadly not everyone can be pleased. As a designer, I am sure you know what I mean. While the template is on the lighter side, some seem to fancy this.

Hey Trombones13,

The original idea was to have it more of a plant theme, but as I started designing, it was lost in translation. The name Garden Envy could push potential users with limited imagination away. Maybe something like Vibrant, Vibrant Scheme, or Natural Light? I was never the best with names.

While the skin is close to being done, a little more green will be incorporated. It adds a nice feeling to the whole thing.

Just making the point that white/light backgrounds are off putting to a lot of web surfers as they hurt the eyes.

Top Bottom