Other VERY Expensive Addons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkman

I have been speaking about this issue with my wife and a couple of other members on here about how expensive some of the add-ons are. Now i know a lot of time and trouble go into making add-ons but at the end of the day its the money that people think of when gaining the money and when spending out.

Now if people charged a little less for some of there add-ons then more people would buy them and you would then make a lot more money in the long run, but when your looking at the £25 and £30 and above mark there is only limited people purchasing the item and i can put money on it that some people will then try and get the add-on free of charge at another place (no its not right but it will happen) so they creator would then lose even more money.

Its like a few days ago there was a FREE add-on here which i suggested a small additional feature that would be good added and i was told that for 35 Euros they could add this "small" addition and 35 Euros is around the same price as £35 which is very very expensive when you could pay for a LARGE add-on for £35

It just seems to be that there is a lot of people out to con xenforo members instead of just making a profit from add-ons. And it also annoys me how they advertise there addons here in the re-sources but you then have to go and register else where to get the re-source...

I just think people need to think a little more before thinking of a price for add-ons and be sensible and you will see a lot more of an income coming into you. I know some will come back with negative comments but either way what i have said above is true i am afraid and this is how other members are thinking also.

Thank you for reading... :)

I'd class very expensive as thousands, not tens of pounds. If you think how many hours of development have gone into them then the majority of addons are ridiculously cheap.

Reactions: DBA
There's a simple solution - if you don't think an add-on is worth the money, then don't buy it. If others agree then they won't buy it either.

BTW I've bought 3 add-ons ranging from £5 - £40. In each case I'd say they were all worth the money. :)

I'd class very expensive as thousands, not tens of pounds. If you think how many hours of development have gone into them then the majority of addons are ridiculously cheap.
But then we go back to the part i mentioned that the person has spent a lot of time and trouble creating them but then charge £30+ but hardly sell any at all but then if you had it that little bit cheaper a lot more would buy the item and then you would make a lot more money... The more expensive an add-on the less likely it is for a member of xenforo to buy the add-on...

It just seems to be that there is a lot of people out to con xenforo members instead of just making a profit from add-ons. And it also annoys me how they advertise there addons here in the re-sources but you then have to go and register else where to get the re-source...

If it's a free add-on that doesn't make much sense. If it's a paid add on though, it's to help with notifying you of
updates and managing who had purchased what.

There's a simple solution - if you don't think an add-on is worth the money, then don't buy it. If others agree then they won't buy it either.

BTW I've bought 3 add-ons ranging from £5 - £40. In each case I'd say they were all worth the money. :)
I spend a lot of money also on add-ons, one i have purchased recently i know for a fact that i was only the second person to purchase the item which has been on here for months so it just goes to show you dont make as much money if they are more expensive because people just do not buy... So just being less greedy you would then make a lot more in money... Its a fact...

Expensive is a relative term. For example the Big Board Importer is $150. But for the boards using it, the downtime savings are clearly outweighed.

XenForo currently has an even blended balance between free and paid add-on development. The majority of these add-ons are economically valued at a fair market value.

That is to say that there currently is no noticeable majority (of paid development) and that the majority of the paid add-ons are not currently overpriced.

This takes into account the quality of the add-ons as well.

If it's a free add-on that doesn't make much sense. If it's a paid add on though, it's to help with notifying you of
updates and managing who had purchased what.
You get notified of updates via the XenForo website so by going to another site for something that was advertised here makes things more complicated...

XenForo currently has an even blended balance between free and paid add-on development. The majority of these add-ons are economically valued at a fair market value.

That is to say that there currently is no noticeable majority (of paid development) and that the majority of the paid add-ons are not currently overpriced.

This takes into account the quality of the add-ons as well.
Well no that doest add up either because i purchased a style (yes i know not a add-on) from here for AGAIN ridiculous money and i have had nothing but trouble with the style so by saying "take into account the quality" that's not always the case because the quality can be very poor and you have spent out a lot of money then for nothing...

You get notified of updates via the XenForo website so by going to another site for something that was advertised here makes things more complicated...

I understand that, but when you're selling paid add ons and trying to provide support, you need to look up who has purchased them. It's relatively harder to do so if you don't know everyone on a personal level. Plus when I was using fetchapp for my add ons, numerous posts were made every time I updated saying "I didn't get the new download link".

If XenForo built payment gateways into the resource manager, I'd agree that it shouldn't be required to register elsewhere. But we only have so many options when we have to collect payments outside of XenForo.

Look at some of the treads. There is at of time put into helping members set up, fix an add on after it is built. Then you have people that say "well this is nice but can you do more work on it and add thus feature?"

As far as people stealing, there are people that would steal it with a $1 price tag. That is life. If it wasn't for them, they might be able to offer a lower price.

Everybody would love to get things cheaper but at the end of the day you need to decide if the price is worth it for you. If the price is way too high, wait and see if it gets dropped. Or learn how to do it and build it yourself. There is also the option to have someone else build one.

There are some developers that give things away for free that are worth a good price or some that are cheaper then they should be. Maybe if they raise their prices then the other ones won't seem so expensive.

James

I understand that, but when you're selling paid add ons and trying to provide support, you need to look up who has purchased them. It's relatively harder to do so if you don't know everyone on a personal level. Plus when I was using fetchapp for my add ons, numerous posts were made every time I updated saying "I didn't get the new download link".

If XenForo built payment gateways into the resource manager, I'd agree that it shouldn't be required to register elsewhere. But we only have so many options when we have to collect payments outside of XenForo.
I know what you mean that must be kind of annoying and hard to keep up with. I hope Xenforo could look into this for the authors of the add-ons ect it would be really helpful to them and others.

Look at some of the treads. There is at of time put into helping members set up, fix an add on after it is built. Then you have people that say "well this is nice but can you do more work on it and add thus feature?"

As far as people stealing, there are people that would steal it with a $1 price tag. That is life. If it wasn't for them, they might be able to offer a lower price.

Everybody would love to get things cheaper but at the end of the day you need to decide if the price is worth it for you. If the price is way too high, wait and see if it gets dropped. Or learn how to do it and build it yourself. There is also the option to have someone else build one.

There are some developers that give things away for free that are worth a good price or some that are cheaper then they should be. Maybe if they raise their prices then the other ones won't seem so expensive.

James
Thank you for your reply @Flexin your totally right.
That is definitely an idea and see if someone else could create it cheaper...

Out of the top 20 resources, only 7 of them are paid (7 out of 20)
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/?order=rating_weighted

The average dollar amount for those resources average of a typical add-on is between $10 - 25 (mathematically the average is 29.85 from the top resources).
So that just goes to show that the cheaper end of the scale sells better than any of the more expensive ones... Yes most of the top 20 are FREE but surely most things FREE will be downloaded a lot more and probably most of the time on a test basis to see what its like not everyone will keep that actual add-on.

Well no that doest add up either because i purchased a style (yes i know not a add-on) from here for AGAIN ridiculous money and i have had nothing but trouble with the style so by saying "take into account the quality" that's not always the case because the quality can be very poor and you have spent out a lot of money then for nothing...
Results do vary. Each add-on / style is typically developed by a different developer. Some maybe better at supporting your needs than others, but the vast majority of 3rd party developers here are very quick to respond, friendly, and offer real-world solutions (without seeking extra funding).

By quality I was referring to is the ratio of quality free add-ons vs paid is about equal here on XenForo.... ie... XenForo's community is not flooded with "simple" free add-ons, but has a wide range of quality add-ons which could qualify the justification of paid development, but remain free.

Thank you for your reply @Flexin your totally right.
That is definitely an idea and see if someone else could create it cheaper...

It is an option but I think in most cases it will cost more to go that route. They need to build it from the ground up. And if they are only selling it to you the cost go up. If you or the developer want to sell it to get some money back then it might be hard because of competition.

If it works better and has more features the. It might out sell the original.

James

One thing you have to remember too is that, lower prices doesn't always mean more sales. At a certain point you will have more customers but the same or less money. Now you have more people to offer support to for no extra money.

There has to be some balance.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom