Very Curious about Xenforo Except....

Incredible

For starters $110 license price is making me want to buy Xenforo TODAY but there is one thing that is bothering me.

I am coming from IPB and while I am not unhappy with IPS(i personally think the software is amazing), I am actually unhappy with their skin community. I am very picky about skins i use on my forum and I've visited various IPB skin sites and they didn't fit with what I was looking for. However, on the flipside i've seen quite a few XF skins I adore and want to purchase...of course I have no Xenforo license.

The only thing that is stopping from buying a license this very second is the lack of an integrated chatroom. We only recently began using IP chat and it is pretty nifty. For the past year, we did use Ajax chat which was not integrated in with our forum. Instead users had to go to a seperate site where i had the ajax chat set up and log in there plus login on my main forum. Of course my members are easygoing so they didn't mind. But of course, having a chat integrated with your site(plus it is managed and hosted by Invision) does make things a lot easier....

Now i've found that Xenforo has taigachat but that is not at all what i am looking for.
There is cometchat/arrowchat but i don't want a facebook style chat.

I like an actual chatroom/chatbox like ajax and IP chat.
I've pretty much discovered Xenforo has most of the features I currently use with IPboard....except a decent chat solution.

Does anyone know a chat software that works well with Xenforo? Paid or Free is fine....

Plus, the support with IPB could be a lot better. it's not the worst but still....
that being said I also heard support with XF wasn't the greatest so ehh maybe i am just expectign much.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Although you said that you don't want Facebook-style chat like Arrowchat/Cometchat but they do allow you to embed the chatroom in a page (at least Arrowchat does). Arrowchat (and possibly Cometchat) also allows you to pop out the chatroom from the chatbar so it's open as a separate window.

Although you said that you don't want Facebook-style chat like Arrowchat/Cometchat but they do allow you to embed the chatroom in a page (at least Arrowchat does). Arrowchat (and possibly Cometchat) also allows you to pop out the chatroom from the chatbar so it's open as a separate window.
Yeah we tried that before but it is harder for people who use mobile phones and or tablets i think to use AC/CC

Use Mibbit and go IRC, easier to manage and free.
Yeah I can't stand IRC because it is so easy for people to troll and more difficult to moderate.

There is a work in progress to integrate Ajax-Chat into the forum (although it's 100% usable for me right now). I'm testing it on a live site and the auto-login / log-out from the XF database is working correctly. I've also got it embedded as an iframe in a 'page' so that chatters don't feel that they've left the forum.

You can download the package from git and read more here:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...his-chat-work-for-xf.39269/page-2#post-466939

Really now? That is awesome as I remember looking at xenforo and was sad to see it wasn't supported with ajax.

Although I have a question...

WOuld it seem silly to convert over to Xenforo and just have my IPboard(with ipchat) set up still on another forum so that way my members would still be able to use ip chat while also simultaneously using xenforo(Similar to how we had ajax set up on an smf forum one url but our forum was using ipb on another urls)

Does this make sense to you how i worded it?

There is a work in progress to integrate Ajax-Chat into the forum (although it's 100% usable for me right now). I'm testing it on a live site and the auto-login / log-out from the XF database is working correctly. I've also got it embedded as an iframe in a 'page' so that chatters don't feel that they've left the forum.

You can download the package from git and read more here:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...his-chat-work-for-xf.39269/page-2#post-466939
Not so bad on tablets but more difficult on mobiles. Cometchat supposedly have a new version out with proper mobile apps that may address this.
Use Mibbit and go IRC, easier to manage and free.

Running multiple platforms would seem disorganized from my perspective.

I don't know anything about IPchat but have been able to embed most chat systems into a 'page' node in XF by using an iframe.

Code:
<iframe src="http://www.************.com/chat" width="100%" height=700></iframe>

Running multiple platforms would seem disorganized from my perspective.

I don't know anything about IPchat but have been able to embed most chat systems into a 'page' node in XF by using an iframe.

Code:
<iframe src="http://www.************.com/chat" width="100%" height=700></iframe>
They seem to like ip chat over ajax chat(i do too).

Sigh....such a tough choice lol

Top Bottom