Very click, is this written in php?

xenxen

Wow this app is very slick for a new release!

Is it php based?
Will it ship with source or will it be like IP?

Curious, how long has Kier been coding this for now?

Chris M

Yes it is PHP based.
I would imagine that the source code will be readable and editable.

And I have no idea, before today I never even knew about XF.

Brandon_R

Yes it is written in PHP and it is visible source.

On a side note, i thought IPB was open source also.

[Edited by Kier - it's visible source, not open source]

Eric

Well, "open source" in the sense that the source code isn't encoded/obfuscated. Have to be careful with that term IMHO, especially with the people I normally talk to, they think it means free :p

BacTalan

I've never seen it myself but I always heard IPB wasn't viewable.
IPB's source is completely viewable/modifiable if you purchase a license; if you purchase one of the hosted community packages, most of the core files (but not all of them) are encoded.

Erik

Yes it is written in PHP and it is open source.

On a side note, i thought IPB was open source also.
No, it's not. I really have to correct you here. Open-source implies that anyone can edit the code and redistribute it. That is certainly not the case here. While the source is viewable, it's not an "open-source" project. :)

EDIT: Definition of "open source": http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

Kier

XenForo developer
Staff member
I thought IPB was obfuscated.
No, IPB is visible source too.

Thanks to everyone that's pointed out that XenForo will be visible source, not open source. The two are very, very different.

JVCode

No, IPB is visible source too.

Thanks to everyone that's pointed out that XenForo will be visible source, not open source. The two are very, very different.
Only to the developers unfortunately. Though I do agree.

Erik

Only to the developers unfortunately. Though I do agree.
How are they different 'only to the developers'? Everyone needs to understand that visible source and open source are very different, no matter your perspective. :)

Eric

How are they different 'only to the developers'? Everyone needs to understand that visible source and open source are very different, no matter your perspective. :)
Indeed. Unfortunately a lot of people I've dealt with like to use "open source" to mean "visible source". I tend to correct them, but they don't seem to learn :p