Not planned Version number?

DarkGizmo

Are you gonna include a version number in the footer?

Example:

Forum software by XenForo. Version 1.0.0?

Just wondering how major versions and point versions are going to be dealt with on here and how they are going to work. :)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
URLs are made not to include technical data (read up on REST). They work on the protocol "no technical data should be shown to the user", hence the user-friendly URLs. I believe this works globally, not just on URLs.

Conversely, removing the version number from the footer gains you nothing in terms of security, although it does give you a small amount of obscurity. Personally, I don't care if the version number is there or not.

I don't think the issue here is about security, it's mainly keeping "junk" out of the template that doesn't give anything to the end-user experience.

I'm pretty much certain that the version number will not be mandatory. If it comes in the footer by default I will just remove it... unless of course the EULA prevents me from doing so, to which I would question the benefits of this.

Considering it's not visible here, I don't think we'll see it on the footer. In fact I don't think it even appears in the source anywhere.

Why do a lot of forum software put the version number in the footer? It means next to nothing to users in general, and doing it because "it's normal" isn't a good enough reason. The only place the version number should appear is in the admin control panel.

It would be a nice change if the version number didn't appear in the footer.

I pretty much agree. In the Admin CP, show the version of XenForo currently installed, and that's it.

Answering a question with the reverse. Oh I love that method ;)

Thanks Kier. I've always removed version numbers, they're not a need-to-know.

Top Bottom