Not planned Version number?

DarkGizmo

Are you gonna include a version number in the footer?

Example:

Forum software by XenForo. Version 1.0.0?

Just wondering how major versions and point versions are going to be dealt with on here and how they are going to work. :)

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It might Andy, so there is another reason !!
This is the main site for XenForo, to which they all (meaning forum software creators) use their latest product on their site (with some minor edits ;) ) to show it off.
I hardly know anyone that reads the footer besides to find out what software the forum is using. Currently, anyone who skims over the title of each section can tell what the latest version is.
I think that showing it in the footer is just another security issue, after all if you tell me (or broadcast it) what version of (for example) Adobe Reader you are running, you can expect people sending you a few hundred *.PDF files that contains an exploit just for that specific version. Why make it easier for people who want to harm your site? Also, if you don't have the latest software and people know it, with there being nothing seriously wrong with it (performance or security), wouldn't that make your site look like it doesn't have competent administrators?

Have you ever heard the term 'transparency' ??

If Xenforo is afraid to post the version number due to 'security concerns' what does that tell a lurker about the software ??

Have you ever heard the term 'transparency' ??

If Xenforo is afraid to post the version number due to 'security concerns' what does that tell a lurker about the software ??

Quite frankly, it doesn't say much.

On the other hand. If someone uses an outdated software, told by their version number, what does that say about the software and/or the website?

LOL, we took the version number down on all the vB forums I own, but it still shows in the source code, so if a hacker really wants to know he can find out.

You guys are grasping at straws here on your arguments !!

LOL, we took the version number down on all the vB forums I own, but it still shows in the source code, so if a hacker really wants to know he can find out.

You guys are grasping at straws here on your arguments !!

You mean the page source or the actual source code? If they can see your actual source code, I don't really think they need to worry about what version number it is....

After reading this thread I am glad xenForo decided to kick the version number. (y)

Those of you who want version numbers must never have mass amounts of users spamming your inbox with you are not running the latest release or you not a good admin the latest release was released an hour ago. o_O

You should have seen the distruction in my department when Microsoft Office 2010 came out. :rolleyes:

I think Kier stated it best a page or two back, users gain nothing from it being shown. XenForo doesn't bombard the user with a lot of useless information (that mostly only forum administrators care about) that a lot of other forum software does. Personally, I like that.

I would hate to see a version number attached to the frontend. If I need to know the version number, I'll log into the admincp, though I already know what version number I'm running because I was the one that upgraded my forums.

Top Bottom