'Version Check" for all XF Addons

Dragonfruit

@AndyB has a Version check addon for all XF2addon.com addons:

pic001.jpg

I think this would be super helpful and make major upgrades like the move to the upcoming 2.3 less painful.

If Developers have inputted XF 2.3 compatibility, it'd be great to see confirm compatibility from a list overview like that.

Upvote 16
That's fine and dandy if you have a central repository to check against... but what happens when you have multiple developers to check against and not all of them make the resources for viewing to the general public.

EDIT: And question answered after reviewing the description for about 30 seconds... TOTALLy useless for that purpose.

It of course would only apply to addons that are available on Xenforo's resource: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/

It connects here and verifies. Only Bob's as far as I know isn't, but he only offers a small handful anyway.

Not useless. But that's your opinion.
There are WELL more than simply "Bob" that deal with add-ons here directly (and I can think of SEVERAL). I think you will find that the add-on you use an an example PRIMARILY deals with his own add-ons and then any that "may' be distributed directly from XF.
As I said, and I was VERY clear on that.. IMHO opinion it's basically useless. It works for simple/free add-ons that are distributed directly from the XF site and that specific developers site.

If there was an "extension" of add-ons that reflected the support/update URL it could be MORE beneficial. That would take WELL more than your initial suggestion as EVERY developer will have to provide an update URL/Check point to confirm against. And THEN they will need to develop a process to confirm ability to download the most recent updates agains those URL/Check points.

What other developers are there that aren't here?

AndyB, OzzModz, Xon, and many of the other top addons while they are sold through external sites, they still post the main data here. It's only Bob who comes to mind for me, Bob is the only person's addons I use that does not come up on Xenforo.com's resources. I could be wrong and missing another one or two.

I'm preparing to upgrade a board, and had to compile a spreadsheet of all addons; current versions, latest versions, 2.2 compatibility, etc.
For tiny boards with a few addons, obviously this isn't going to be much useful. But for far larger boards, it would make the process make more simplified if they can see they need to upgrade let's say 10+ addons to be ready for the next upgrade.

I wasn't suggesting this to be a way to download and upgrade the addon automatically. It's a green check mark for if the board's good to upgrade:

From 2.0 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.3, etc.

What other developers are there that aren't here?

AndyB, OzzModz, Xon, and many of the other top addons while they are sold through external sites, they still post the main data here. It's only Bob who comes to mind for me, Bob is the only person's addons I use that does not come up on Xenforo.com's resources. I could be wrong and missing another one or two.

I'm preparing to upgrade a board, and had to compile a spreadsheet of all addons; current versions, latest versions, 2.2 compatibility, etc.
For tiny boards with a few addons, obviously this isn't going to be much useful. But for far larger boards, it would make the process make more simplified if they can see they need to upgrade let's say 10+ addons to be ready for the next upgrade.

I wasn't suggesting this to be a way to download and upgrade the addon automatically. It's a green check mark for if the board's good to upgrade:

From 2.0 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.3, etc.
And I see you TOTALLY miss the point on being able to download based upon your eligibility based upon licensing terms.
Andy's add-on works great for his stuff as he MONITORS your eligibility to access it through that add-on and download it. He DOES NOT for non-associated sites. You get the SAME benefit when you log in here of being notified of add-on updates.
Now, if you are talking a central "alert' area of an installed add-on being updated via the RM... I could agree with that. But don't expect direct downloads to be a part of it. Me personally, I'd rather be alerted and be able to READ about the updates rather than simply pushing a button then going "oh ****" when it doesn't go as planned (as was shown on the recent XF udpates) or because there were steps I needed to take prior to install.

And I see you TOTALLY miss the point on being able to download based upon your eligibility based upon licensing terms.
Andy's add-on works great for his stuff as he MONITORS your eligibility to access it through that add-on and download it. He DOES NOT for non-associated sites. You get the SAME benefit when you log in here of being notified of add-on updates.

Actually no, my subscription with AndyB already expired. If I click "Download", I'm taken to his board to re-subscribe.

The issue isn't eligibility, YOU'RE the one that's missing that point. I'm well aware of all the paid addons on my list.

I just need to make sure what is 2.2 compatible and what's not. Many of the addons have been confirmed to be 2.2 compatible, so when we're ready, I'll renew all those subscriptions.

Me personally, I'd rather be alerted and be able to READ about the updates rather than simply pushing a button then going "oh ****" when it doesn't go as planned (as was shown on the recent XF udpates) or because there were steps I needed to take prior to install.
I was never suggesting this.

I was suggesting this to kill the manual research of checking add-on updates and next version compatibility.

Acquiring each addon upgrade and running is still a separate manual process...

I just need to make sure what is 2.2 compatible and what's not. Many of the addons have been confirmed to be 2.2 compatible, so when we're ready, I'll renew all those subscriptions.
So, you are telling us that that specific add-on confirms that it is 2.2 (or whatever version ) approved and you can go to ANY paid add-on and download it. I seriously doubt that.. .but I'll simply take your word on it, but won't waste my money on it. I'll continue to do like I have since 2012 and monitor here for any "update alerts" and then check the "update notice" for any changes/requirements and for those developers that don't regularly "update" their versioning here, the emails I get as a paid customer.
I've seen (in the past with the 1.x line) what you asked for ended up causing MORE problems than it "solved" as folks were willy-nilly installing those "free updates" without paying an ants-fart worth of attention to any requirements for the upgrade then screaming for help when their site took a massive dump upon itself.
First party add-ons I have no issue with.. .when you get into the realm of 3rd party, the warts start cropping. up.

So, you are telling us that that specific add-on confirms that it is 2.2 (or whatever version ) approved and you can go to ANY paid add-on and download it. I seriously doubt that.. .but I'll simply take your word on it, but won't waste my money on it. I'll continue to do like I have since 2012 and monitor here for any "update alerts" and for those developers that don't regularly "update" their versioning here, the emails I get as a paid customer.
I've seen (in the past with the 1.x line) what you asked for ended up causing MORE problems than it "solved" as folks were willy-nilly installing those "free updates" without paying a ant-fart worth of attention to any requirements for the upgrade then screaming for help when their site took a massive dump upon itself.

No. You keep making that up.
What I'm talking about, let's say I have this addon installed:
It's paid and acquired through Xon's website.
All it does is check that the latest version is 1.11.3, while mine could be 1.8.0, and it's listed as 2.1 and 2.2 compatible, so those would be checked as well.
So if I'm on 2.1 with 1.8.0, I know I can upgrade it to 1.11.3 and it will work on XF 2.2...

Rather than have an addon break when we get to XF 2.2.

I was suggesting this to kill the manual research of checking add-on updates and next version compatibility.
You mean the "manual search" that involves clicking on the alert icon when you log in here after downloading an add-on and it being added to your watched list and you being alerted that it has been updated?
Yep... REAL hard to keep up with, especially if you log in here regularly. ;) :eek:

Like I said, what you first asked for was basically done in the past by a 3rd party.. and it did cause issues (and did make me some extra money).

You mean the "manual search" that involves clicking on the alert icon when you log in here after downloading an add-on and it being added to your watched list?
Yep... REAL hard to keep up with, especially if you log in here regularly. ;) :eek:

I guess someone with a small forum just isn't going to understand. As I've stated, it's more useful for larger forums. Those alerts aren't permanent. There's some large forums on XF 1.5, 2.0, 2.1, etc.

Even if on 2.2, it'll be useful for 2.3.

And yes, it's a major time saving rather than checking every add-on page to gather all the info. I'm sorry if you still don't fully grasp its use, and I understand that it just isn't for you.

At least I'm not alone that thinks this should be core.

I guess someone with a small forum just isn't going to understand. As I've stated, it's more useful for larger forums. Those alerts aren't permanent. There's some large forums on XF 1.5, 2.0, 2.1, etc.

Even if on 2.2, it'll be useful for 2.3.

And yes, it's a major time saving rather than checking every add-on page to gather all the info. I'm sorry if you still don't fully grasp its use, and I understand that it just isn't for you.
It's not "useful" for ANY forum size... You STILL have to check back at the site to check for compatibility even after getting an "alert" in your after going to check that specific area. I'd MUCH rather XF concentrate on areas that have been being requested for over a decade than on something that can be simply solved by VISITING the site itself and then READING any updated info based upon alerts you get to see if it applies to you.
I'm sorry, but we have to disagree on this. As I said, the EXACT function you are asking about was provided under a 1.x add-on, and my pocketbook REALLY liked the fact that it was.

It's not "useful" for ANY forum size... You STILL have to check back at the site to check for compatibility. I'd MUCH rather XF concentrate on areas that have been being requested for over a decade than on something that can be simply solved by VISITING the site itself and then READING any updated info to see if it applies to you.

I understand your disagreement and that it isn't right for you. Others that think this should be core can freely up vote. I understand that you won't be voting for it.

I understand your disagreement and that it isn't right for you. Others that think this should be core can freely up vote. I understand that you won't be voting for it.
Let me bring your attention to this point in the thread to point out a VERY simple issue with your request under current structures. There would have to be a MASSIVE update to required versioning, checking the authenticity of said versioning and it's compliance before it could be useful.

Let me bring your attention to this point in the thread to point out a VERY simple issue with your request under current structures. There would have to be a MASSIVE update to required versioning, checking the authenticity of said versioning and it's compliance before it could be useful.

They've done it before for 1.5:

Again, I understand you fully disagree. So I'm not trying to sell you on up voting. Merely showing you there's many people that see a need for this.

Again, I understand you fully disagree. So I'm not trying to sell you on up voting. Merely showing you there's many people that see a need for this.
Oh, I don't doubt there are plenty that would like it... I'm simply trying to emphasize the complexities of a TRULY effective system. Good luck with your suggestion.

I think this would be super helpful and make major upgrades like the move to the upcoming 2.3 less painful.
It certainly would help me--when the number of add-ons builds up, a manual process of visiting each and every add-on is very time consuming. I do try to download all updates as they are posted here (so I always have the latest version), but still, seeing them at a glance is helpful.

Top Bottom