Resource icon

vBulletin Big Board Importer [vBulletin 3 + vBulletin 4] [Paid] 1.5.0

No permission to buy ($150.00)
So, if I'm reading this right... you are just keeping vB hashes from being converted to the more secure Xenforo hashes until a later date? This must be a bug in core Xenforo, right? Seems like it should be reproducible. BTW, the second person affected also has a non-ascii character in their password.

arn

FWIW I had this problem without any special characters in play.

I plan to spend some more time debugging this.

Off the top...

1) Upload the Export and Import files.

2) Edit both files to specify the db credentials for XF and vB. Make sure both dbs are accessible by the same MySQL user.

3) Install XF and manually recreate all of your custom groups.

4) Edit the Export file to specify the id maps for the groups.

5) Edit the Export file to specify the various settings near the top like the banned group id, avatar / attachment file paths, import data directory, etc.

6) Possibly edit the code farther down in the Export file to setup the import of custom user fields and paid subscriptions if desired.

7) Run the Export file as a PHP CLI.

8) Run the Import file as a PHP CLI.

9) If you get import errors about invalid string values then you probably need to specify the extra out command in the Export file to do the conversion using a program like iconv.

10) Be mindful that you start with a clean install of XF, and try to avoid installing addons or running XF upgrades on the XF database because this importer is sensitive to column order during the import process.

11) You can re-run the Export + Import any number of times without having to reinstall the XF forum.

This compared to the web-based importer which is basically:

1) Install XF.

2) Run the importer in the Admin CP which will ask you for your vB mysql credentials.

3) Any retries should begin by reinstalling the XF forum.
Thanks for the info. :)

After some time I now have a working Export/Import. However, I've noticed an issue with custom avatars. For some users the avatar is not importing correctly. If on vB 3.8 they had a .gif custom avatar, then on the Import they have a .jpg avatar and the image is broken. Any ideas?

After some time I now have a working Export/Import. However, I've noticed an issue with custom avatars. For some users the avatar is not importing correctly. If on vB 3.8 they had a .gif custom avatar, then on the Import they have a .jpg avatar and the image is broken. Any ideas?

The importer reads the image type from the image data, so it is possible for incorrect file extensions to be discovered through the import.

A broken image presumably means the import failed. Look at the output of the Export script for a specific error message on that avatar during the export process.

The importer reads the image type from the image data, so it is possible for incorrect file extensions to be discovered through the import.

A broken image presumably means the import failed. Look at the output of the Export script for a specific error message on that avatar during the export process.

Ok, thanks. The export log shows entries like "data/avatars/s/0/140.jpg => No move" for the avatars that are not being imported. There is about 500 out of 32,000 so not that bad I guess. I did note that using the GD vs imagemagick greatly improved the speed of the export, 17,963.15s vs 741.57s. Quality appears the same.

The only remaining issue that I am having is with the attachments. I've run the export and the import and it appears the 360,000 attachments have been imported. However, I noticed that there were no thumbs. So, I try to rebuild the attachment thumbs. However, it just rebuilds the first 178 and then keeps running but not rebuilding the thumbs. In the xf_attachment_data table I can see that the attachments are there, but after 178 there are no width, height, thumbnail width or thumbnail height. In the data/attachments folder I only get the 0 directory, no further directories are created and no errors are thrown. I've tried with both GD and imagemagick. I've checked permissions on the directories. Any idea what is going on?

Edit: I've confirmed that the problem is on the Export. Starting fresh, after the first 178 attachments are processed, the thumbs stop getting created and the xf_attachment_data table shows only 0 for width, height, thumbnail width and thumbnail height.

Edit 2: After much investigation, I realized that the thumbnail_filesize field in vb_attachment was set to 0 for most of the attachments. Not sure how/why as thumbnails are functional in vB. So, in Export.php the if statement "if ($attachment['thumbnail_filesize'] > 0 AND $attachment['extension'] != 'bmp')" was excluding these attachments from getting their dimensions which apparently broke XFs ability to generate a new thumbnail. After removing this condition, it appears to be working. I can't see any use for the thumbnail_filesize condition unless it is just to check if a thumbnail exists?

Last edited:
Edit 2: After much investigation, I realized that the thumbnail_filesize field in vb_attachment was set to 0 for most of the attachments. Not sure how/why as thumbnails are functional in vB. So, in Export.php the if statement "if ($attachment['thumbnail_filesize'] > 0 AND $attachment['extension'] != 'bmp')" was excluding these attachments from getting their dimensions which apparently broke XFs ability to generate a new thumbnail. After removing this condition, it appears to be working. I can't see any use for the thumbnail_filesize condition unless it is just to check if a thumbnail exists?

That should be fine. The thumbnail condition is meant to detect images, but after that it detects again by getting the image info. So the image processing might take additional time for non-images, but attachments are incremental so it doesn't really matter.

@Jake Bunce or anyone...

We did our import -- which overall went smoothly, I'll post more about that here -- but since then, we've had users have been complaining that when someone replies to a pre-xenforo conversation, they receive an email with the conversation reply. But when they click on the link, they get a "The requested conversation could not be found" error.

Looking up the conversation id in the database, it appears to be there. So, it seems like a permissions issue. I've rebuilt conversations to see if that would fix it. But it hasn't.

arn

- User Goups Are not exported / imported!

- After importing, I have no admin / super admin rights more !!
Can not log in with my AdminUser in the ACP

- The import of 5 million contributions lasts more than 6 hours! Not really fast!
So far, the importer is not better than the XF own Importer!

Last edited:
- User Goups Are not exported / imported!

- After importing, I have no admin / super admin rights more !!
Can not log in with my AdminUser in the ACP

- The import of 5 million contributions lasts more than 6 hours! Not really fast!
So far, the importer is not better than the XF own Importer!

The groups do require manual creation and id mapping using this importer.

Generally with this importer you need to manually specify the admin perms after the first attempt. Then those perms will persist in your XF install for all subsequent attempts. For the main admin account you should specify the userid as a super admin in the library/config.php file. And the is_admin flag might need to be enabled in the xf_user record.

6 hours for 5 million posts is slow. You server might have resource problems. Or maybe your InnoDB configuration needs to be optimized. I had an import recently that was suffering from slow performance. It turns out InnoDB was storing all tables in one file instead of separate files. You should revisit your MySQL config.

@Jake Bunce or anyone else come across this weird issue. Looks like @Ludachris had same issue at https://xenforo.com/community/threa...-3-vbulletin-4-paid.52796/page-33#post-771356

Background
  • Using big board import for vB 4.2 to Xenforo 1.4.6 (at the time latest), seems the Xenforo forum has a few threads which have no posts showing just top and bottom pagination numbers leading to no where.
  • Querying the threadids show first_post_id and last_post_id = 0 so I grabbed all the threadids for those with first and last post id = 0 and there's ~851 of them.
  • Now, this forum also used the regularly Xenforo forum importer for another entirely separate server test import. And if I query that resulting Xenforo database for those same threadids, they don't exist in the resulting xenforo imported database (regular inbuilt importer).
i.e. for threadid 1234

normal importer xenforo copy query returns empty
Code:
mysql -N -e "SELECT thread_id, first_post_id, last_post_id FROM xf_thread WHERE thread_id = 1234;" USERNAME_xftest
on big big board importer xenforo copy
Code:
mysql -N -e "SELECT thread_id, first_post_id, last_post_id FROM xf_thread WHERE thread_id = 1234;" USERNAME_xf
+------+---+---+
| 1234 | 0 | 0 |
+------+---+---+

in original vB 4.2.3 database notice the firstpostid and lastpostid are also 0. Also, like Ludachris reported experience, interesting part is accessing old forum OLDFORUM/showthread.php?t=1234 redirects to threadid = 9035 which is the same number as the pollid in thread 1234
Code:
mysql -e "SELECT * FROM  thread WHERE  threadid =1234\G" USERNAME_vb
*************************** 1. row ***************************
                       threadid: 1234
                          title: THREAD TITLE
                    firstpostid: 0
                       lastpost: 1154018998
                        forumid: 222
                         pollid: 9035
                           open: 10
                     replycount: 2
                    hiddencount: 0
                   postusername: USERNAME
                     postuserid: 1918
                     lastposter: LASTPOSTUSERNAME
                       dateline: 1154916852
                          views: 46
                         iconid: 11
                          notes:
                        visible: 1
                         sticky: 0
                        votenum: 0
                      votetotal: 0
                         attach: 0
                        similar: 21119, 7475, 6458, 9035, 138164
                 importthreadid: 0
                  importforumid: 0
                   deletedcount: 0
                     lastpostid: 0
                       prefixid:
                        taglist: NULL
                         wrdate:
                    vbseo_likes: 0
             vbseo_linkbacks_no: 0
                   lastposterid: 0
                       keywords:
      dbtech_vbanalytics_visits: 0
     dbtech_vbanalytics_bounces: 0
   dbtech_vbanalytics_pageviews: 0
    dbtech_vbanalytics_landings: 0
   dbtech_vbanalytics_referrals: 0
dbtech_vbanalytics_conversions: 0
          dbtech_dbseo_keywords:
   dbtech_dbseo_keywords_custom:
       dbtech_dbseo_description:
dbtech_dbseo_description_custom:
                    postercount: 0
               panjo_listing_id: NULL

The Xenforo big board importer database info for thread ids 1234 and 9035

Code:
mysql -e "SELECT * FROM xf_thread WHERE thread_id = 1234\G;" USERNAME_xf
         thread_id: 1234
           node_id: 222
       reply_count: 2
        view_count: 58
           user_id: 1918
          username: USERNAME
         post_date: 1154916852
  discussion_state: visible
   discussion_open: 10
   discussion_type: poll
     first_post_id: 0
  first_post_likes: 0
    last_post_date: 1154018998
      last_post_id: 0
last_post_user_id: 0
last_post_username: LASTPOSTUSERNAME
         prefix_id: 0
Code:
mysql -e "SELECT * FROM xf_thread WHERE thread_id = 9035\G;" USERNAME_xf   
         thread_id: 9035
           node_id: 144
       reply_count: 94
        view_count: 21404
           user_id: 1918
          username: USERNAME
         post_date: 1153799730
  discussion_state: visible
   discussion_open: 1
   discussion_type:
     first_post_id: 56284
  first_post_likes: 0
    last_post_date: 1223163607
      last_post_id: 583120
last_post_user_id: 21177
last_post_username: LASTPOSTUSERNAME2
         prefix_id: 0

Last edited:
@arn
@eva2000

arn is correct. If memory serves, vB uses open = 10 to indicate a thread redirect, and then overloads the use of pollid to specify the destination for the redirect. This importer is not checking for this.

Edit the Export file and add the red code:

Rich (BB code):
			exec('mysql -h' . $this->slaveDbHost . ' ' . $this->sourceDb . ' ' . $this->sourceDBuser . ' ' . $this->sourceDBpassword . ' -N -q -e "SET NAMES binary;SELECT thread.threadid AS thread_id, thread.forumid AS node_id, REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(thread.title, \'&amp;\', \'&\'), \'&lt;\', \'<\'), \'&gt;\', \'>\'), \'&quot;\', \'\\"\') AS title, thread.replycount AS reply_count, thread.views AS view_count, thread.postuserid AS user_id, thread.postusername AS username, thread.dateline AS post_date, thread.sticky, IF(thread.visible = 0, \'moderated\', IF(thread.visible = 2, \'deleted\', \'visible\')) AS discussion_state, thread.open AS disucssion_open, IF(thread.pollid > 0, \'poll\', \'\') AS discussion_type, thread.firstpostid AS first_post_id, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ' . self::$tablePrefix . 'reputation as reputation WHERE reputation.postid = thread.firstpostid AND (reputation > 0 OR (reason = \'\' AND reputation = 0))) AS first_post_likes, thread.lastpost AS last_post_date, thread.lastpostid AS last_post_id, ' . (self::$isVB4 ? 'thread.lastposterid' : "'0'") . ' AS last_post_user_id, thread.lastposter AS last_post_username, \'0\' AS prefix_id FROM ' . self::$tablePrefix . 'thread as thread WHERE thread.open != 10 ORDER BY thread.threadid" | ' . self::$sedCommand . ' -r \'s/\&\#[0-9]*?\;//ig\' ' . self::$extraOutCommand . ' > ' . self::$dataDir . 'xf_thread.txt');

That should do it.

@Jake Bunce thanks. Anything can be done about existing imports that were finalised with the open = 10 not accounted for ?

This query should do it:

Rich (BB code):
DELETE xft.*
FROM `xfdb`.xf_thread xft
WHERE xft.thread_id IN (
	SELECT vbt.threadid
	FROM `vbdb`.thread vbt
	WHERE vbt.open = 10
);

Backup first of course.

Hi,

I have a general issue / question on the Big Board Importer script.

The Export.php not only uses the source database but also the target database ($this->db).
What I don't understand is this for example:

PHP:
                $users = $this->db->fetchAll('
                    SELECT user.*, COALESCE(IF(customavatar.dateline, customavatar.dateline, customprofilepic.dateline), 0) AS avatar_date, COALESCE(IF(customavatar.dateline, customavatar.width, customprofilepic.width), 0) AS avatar_width, COALESCE(IF(customavatar.dateline, customavatar.height, customprofilepic.height), 0) AS avatar_height, LOWER(SUBSTRING(PASSWORD(MD5(CONCAT(user.salt, user.userid))), 2)) AS remember_key,
                        (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ' . $this->sourceDb . '.' . self::$tablePrefix . 'reputation as reputation INNER JOIN ' . $this->sourceDb . '.' . self::$tablePrefix . 'post as post ON (post.postid = reputation.postid) INNER JOIN ' . $this->sourceDb . '.' . self::$tablePrefix . 'thread as thread ON (thread.threadid = post.threadid) WHERE post.visible = 1 AND thread.visible = 1 AND reputation.userid = user.userid AND (reputation > 0 OR (reason = \'\' AND reputation = 0))) AS like_count
                    FROM ' . $this->sourceDb . '.' . self::$tablePrefix . 'user as user
                        LEFT JOIN ' . $this->sourceDb . '.' . self::$tablePrefix . 'customavatar as customavatar ON (customavatar.userid = user.userid)
                        LEFT JOIN ' . $this->sourceDb . '.' . self::$tablePrefix . 'customprofilepic as customprofilepic ON (customprofilepic.userid = user.userid)
                    ORDER BY user.userid
                    LIMIT ' . ($limit * 10000) .', 10000
                ')
                )

This part of the code tries to access a table customprofile in the xenforo database which of course never exists. How is this supposed to even work?

Furthermore: The script assumes that the target database and the source database both have the same table prefix which also seems to be a bug. The user table in vBulletin is "user" in XenForo it's "xf_user".

Has anyone experienced the same issues? Or am I just misunderstanding the script?

Thanks a lot for hints and comments.

-Fabian-

Top Bottom