Resource icon

vBulletin Big Board Importer [vBulletin 3 + vBulletin 4] [Paid] 1.5.0

No permission to buy ($150.00)
Strange thing happens after an upgrade - when creating new conversation with single participant, XF adds another 3 randomly chosen recipients.

What could be a reason for this?

Does this add-on support delta imports? More specifically, the Xen2 version (which I believe is being worked on)

IE:
  • Backup vB Database
  • Import into Xenforo
  • Back up vB Database
  • Import only new data into Xenforo

This would minimize our downtime drastically.

Last edited:
Does this add-on support delta imports? More specifically, the Xen2 version (which I believe is being worked on)

IE:
  • Backup vB Database
  • Import into Xenforo
  • Back up vB Database

If you have a site large enough and commercial enough I have a delta importer available but the price matches also. The hours spent on making a delta importer work far outweigh any return from pricing it as this version was. Hit me up if interested.

IE:
  • Backup vB Database
  • Import into Xenforo
  • Back up vB Database

You can't just make your forum read-only for say 24 hours (so folks could still access things), and do a database backup after you make things read-only .... then do an import of the database, then bring the new forum back up? If you did it that way, you could make the cut-over after the import and make down-time almost zero (you'd have to make sure your configurations were correct with the new forum, install necessary add-ons, set up redirection, and so forth). This would be pretty easy especially if everything was on the same server. You could even cut-over using the same URL.

You can't just make your forum read-only for say 24 hours (so folks could still access things), and do a database backup after you make things read-only .... then do an import of the database, then bring the new forum back up? If you did it that way, you could make the cut-over after the import and make down-time almost zero (you'd have to make sure your configurations were correct with the new forum, install necessary add-ons, set up redirection, and so forth). This would be pretty easy especially if everything was on the same server. You could even cut-over using the same URL.

Yep, this is currently our plan C.

Plan A is checking to see if there's an alternate solution available that has delta support and/or can bring our import time down drastically.
Plan B is considering building this ourselves, as well as testing a few theories locally for dramatically decreasing import time
Plan C is read only mode

I am trying to migrate a huge forum into XF2 from VB4 (or VB5, because upgrade is possible). We have troubles with the speed of importing. I read this importer is for XF1, but is there also an importer for XF2 that speeds up the process? Otherwise we might have to import into XF1 (if that is still for download) and after that upgrade to XF2.

I am also curious as of how this import can be faster then the standard import. So I would like to come in contact with the creator, to discuss if there is some possibilities for our forum.

I am trying to migrate a huge forum into XF2 from VB4 (or VB5, because upgrade is possible). We have troubles with the speed of importing. I read this importer is for XF1, but is there also an importer for XF2 that speeds up the process? Otherwise we might have to import into XF1 (if that is still for download) and after that upgrade to XF2.

I am also curious as of how this import can be faster then the standard import. So I would like to come in contact with the creator, to discuss if there is some possibilities for our forum.
What is your definition of a "huge forum?"

Can you provide more details about your forum - i.e. the number of posts/threads, the size of the database, and what type of database it is (MySQL, MariaDB, etc.)? Currently running on a hosted platform, or a VPS? All of this would be helpful for knowledgeable members to help provide more info.

What attempts have you made in the past as far as migration attempts? Have you tried the standard XF2.x importer for VB4-based forums?

I had a relatively small vB 4.2.5 forum back in 2019, but was able to directly and pretty seamlessly import it into XF 2.1 back then. It literally took minutes. I can't imagine an import requiring more than a couple of hours, and that would be for an extremely large database and image collection.

I'm sure that others here with medium to large forums can chime in with regard to their migration experiences.

All else failing, I would talk with @MySiteGuy, who has some very specialized migration expertise and tools, who can perform this as a service at a very reasonable price.

Well we host the forum on a VPS at transip, it is using MySQL in a directadmin environment.

We have a bit more then 276.00 users. almost 600.00 topics and almost 4 million posts. It is a quite large one. Importing with the CLI takes a lot of time, the step for the users only takes around an hour for 1%.

We just started the migration and are doing this on a test machine with a set of data similar to production (without private messages and other personal stuff). We used the standard importer on VB4 data. I am now trying with an upgrade to VB5. We also tried to make a dump of the database and use a desktop machine to use more processing power and memory, but it looks like that is not working.

At this moment we are looking forward to a migration of minimal 1 week of processing time. And we like to speed this up. And I like to get my head around the reason why it is so slow at the moment.

Well we host the forum on a VPS at transip, it is using MySQL in a directadmin environment.

We have a bit more then 276.00 users. almost 600.00 topics and almost 4 million posts. It is a quite large one. Importing with the CLI takes a lot of time, the step for the users only takes around an hour for 1%.

We just started the migration and are doing this on a test machine with a set of data similar to production (without private messages and other personal stuff). We used the standard importer on VB4 data. I am now trying with an upgrade to VB5. We also tried to make a dump of the database and use a desktop machine to use more processing power and memory, but it looks like that is not working.

At this moment we are looking forward to a migration of minimal 1 week of processing time. And we like to speed this up. And I like to get my head around the reason why it is so slow at the moment.

There isnt a reason the default tools provided by XenForo wouldnt be adequate.

There can be specific reasons the percentages arent correct, but they are few and far between. If you want to hit me up I can take a look for you.

Make sure you're using multi-threaded mode.
How to use this? Can't find much on it on the website/forums.

There isnt a reason the default tools provided by XenForo wouldnt be adequate.

There can be specific reasons the percentages arent correct, but they are few and far between. If you want to hit me up I can take a look for you.
I don't think the percentages are off, it is a really slow process right now. I can follow in the database in the log that it is not that far right now and that the percentages and numbers are correct.

Top Bottom