vBulletin 4 owners

Jeffin

If you are a vb4 owner, from what I have read we might have to wait some time to get an official converter. If you don't want to wait, how are proposing to convert yours?

I know xenfans may provide this service> vb4 to vb3 to xf beta

I think if we can work together, we might be able to put up a temporary solution. Perhaps all of us chip in and get xenfans to do the work. What are your ideas?

Kier said:
Let me just reiterate that while there is not a vB4 importer now, the differences in DB schema between vB3.8 and vB4.0 are negligible. The only really major change is in the way attachments are stored, so it's not going to be an insurmountable task to have a vB4 importer ready for the 1.0 release, if not the October beta.

I think that answer is enough for now.... I'd much prefer to wait for something that is produced by the producers of XenForo vs. using a another 3rd party product.

Okay, I just found this quote by Kier which sounds really good:

Let me just reiterate that while there is not a vB4 importer now, the differences in DB schema between vB3.8 and vB4.0 are negligible. The only really major change is in the way attachments are stored, so it's not going to be an insurmountable task to have a vB4 importer ready for the 1.0 release, if not the October beta.

I think I'll wait too.

Okay, I just found this quote by Kier which sounds really good:

I think I'll wait too.

I'm sure Floris mentioned something about doing a script, may be completely wrong. You could PM him to find out.

One issue that concerns me is that currently xenForo allows for duplicate attachments. When vb4 was introduced one of the features was the elimination of duplicate attachments. This is important to me as I have over 300,000 attachments on my forum and I don't have a single duplicate attachment.

I hope that xenForo 1.0 will have the same feature to eliminate duplicate attachments in a similar fashion as vb4 does.

I don't think anyone will have anything to worry about, as these guys aren't silly to neglect all those using 4.x and who want to convert their current DB over. As long as it pulls the forum and user data over, all is good. I don't believe it matters if you are using forum only or suite, as the table structure is still the same for forum and user data to my knowledge.

vB4 marks the beginning of xenForo, then why humiliate the vB4 owners again :P

I have another silly question.. if i start a new forum with xenForo till the time vB4 importer is released and like to merge the new forum and my old vb4 forum when the impoter is released.... is that possible?

I'll wait until there is a forum convertor, as I have the Forum Only purchase.
For those who are considering this question, I set up a poll here.

For me the biggest concern about xenfans is handing over my database to someone I don't know. I have no problem paying for a service, but I do have an issue giving away my data.

i am on the lookout for a reliable solution to migrate the forum on my vb4 installation to XF with least data migration issues. i have some content in blogs but it is not relevant enough.

The XenFans service sounds nice but I'm not willing to let someone else handle my DB. Rather wait for an official solution. Regardless, I'm not planning on making the switch as soon as it's released. Probably will be a month or two, by which point a converter should hopefully be released.

well. a lot of people are not going to switch rigtht away. the beta comes with a warning that it should not be used on production sites.

but you would need the converter before you can ever start testing the thing out!

i mean a blank forum is not going to be a problem. the testing would be needed for...

migration of database.
server load after migration.
url redirection.
user accounts and the passwords.
and so on!

To help Kier & Mike out we'll be offering a vB4 forum to vB3 forum downgrade service via xenfans.com -- after which you can use XenForo's importer to convert from vB3 to XenForo B1. And once there's a beta by xenforo with vb4 to xf1, users can use that. We've had quite some practice on vbfans.com with the script and vbc has been working on it for quite a bit to improve it as every forum is different. He refunded the money when turned out it couldn't be done. And got very positive feedback with the many instances it went very well. We're already working on xenPort so we could offer additional content from plugins and what not to be converted as well to xenforo ready nodes.

It's great that vbc has taken the time to help his friends out move from vb4 back to vb3 who had a bad v4 experience. And knowing that there are people who want to move away from vb to xf, it's silly not to offer the service via xenfans.

This is starting to sound like an ad, which is not the intention. I want to let people know that I have talked about this xenPorting away from version 4 with kier/mike in private so we all know we're here with the same goal: Enjoying xenforo to the max. Working together with xf ltd. in unofficial and volunteer manner is something we're looking forward to.

That said, I also read in this thread that people might be wanting to make their own convert script or service. If something's ready to be used please let us know and xenfans will list it on the site as yet another option for users who are looking to convert. Increasing options benefits everybody.

how do i get in touch to get some pricing details? :)
We haven't finalized pricing with vbc yet, but I am pushing to make it cheaper than it was on vbfans.com for xf customers. Once that's known we'll be updating the xf site with a service page. But since xf isn't out yet, it's a bit early to do that. I hope to talk to kier later today to hear if what we might ask is within the spirit of "helping out".

alright cool. i would probably need professional help for conversion of a vb4 forum with vbseo optimized links to XF. just the forum. with as little link breakage as possible! i would keep an eye on xenfans.com! thanks.

Top Bottom